ADVERTISEMENT

With 17 commits, how does the 2021 class end up?

squeezebox

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2018
Just curious what everyone thinks the hawks are going to end up with to finish this class out. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Feel free to fill in. It's time to talk some football on this board again. My bad on Max's commitment, totally air-balled on that one.
Offense
1.) RB (Parks appears to be it), maybe another late grab
2.) OL (Alt, Mylenski (sp) looks like Iowa might be out of the running for Benny (also DL).
3.) TE (Fidone or Helm) not sure Iowa gets either, but certainly in the running
4.) WR (Skyler Bell) possibility

Defense
I haven't heard much on the defensive side of the ball.
2.) Safety (Edwards)

Last edited:
Just curious what everyone thinks the hawks are going to end up with to finish this class out. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Feel free to fill in. It's time to talk some football on this board again.
Offense
2.) OL (Alt, Mylenski (sp) looks like Iowa might be out of the running for Benny (also DL).

Defense
I haven't heard much on either of these two lately
1.)Defensive End (Llewellyn)
2.) Safety (Edwards)
When did he decommit?? ;)

Reactions: squeezebox
Just curious what everyone thinks the hawks are going to end up with to finish this class out. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Feel free to fill in. It's time to talk some football on this board again.
Offense

Defense
I haven't heard much on either of these two lately
1.)Defensive End (Llewellyn)
2.) Safety (Edwards)
Llewellyn is a commit. The safety Edwards got a bunch of Notre Dame crystal balls followed by recent Georgia Tech forecasts.

Just curious what everyone thinks the hawks are going to end up with to finish this class out. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Feel free to fill in. It's time to talk some football on this board again. My bad on Max's commitment, totally air-balled on that one.
Offense

Defense
2.) Safety (Edwards)
Kaleb Edwards is announcing July 1st. Seems like it will be either Georgia Tech or Notre Dame.

I expect Iowa to take at least one more DB, but might have to wait and find someone new to offer this fall.

Reactions: squeezebox
However it ends up Swarm 21 is going to be a very good class. Lots of future talent plus many of these guys had some solid offers from other schools. I believe Swarm 21 will go down as one one the very best in the KF era.

If we close out this class with 3 or 4 of our top targets and some later offers to get to the final number I will be delighted. I get the sense that talent wise this could be our best group since 2005.

With everything that’s going on in the world if we play football and these kids all make it to campus it’s a huge win for Hawkeye football fans. I’m impressed with not only the football talent of this group, but they also seem to be high quality young men.

Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: rivalhawks
I'm gonna make this bold prediction. If Fidone goes to Little Debbie State, and Gunner Helm goes to Iowa. Gunner will be drafted higher in 3 or 4 years then Fidone. ;)
Being somewhat close to a number of in the know people in the Lewis Central sports community, I am hearing Fidone is busting his tail working out. The knock I had previously heard about him was he had all the talent in the world but didn't work very hard. If this is a long-term commitment or dedication on his part, the sky is definitely the limit and it won't matter where he goes to school because you can't teach that wingspan, super quick feet and incredibly soft hands to someone. He is truly blessed with a very unique skill set for a tight end!

Reactions: GBRnTX
Being somewhat close to a number of in the know people in the Lewis Central sports community, I am hearing Fidone is busting his tail working out. The knock I had previously heard about him was he had all the talent in the world but didn't work very hard. If this is a long-term commitment or dedication on his part, the sky is definitely the limit and it won't matter where he goes to school because you can't teach that wingspan, super quick feet and incredibly soft hands to someone. He is truly blessed with a very unique skill set for a tight end!
All true, BUT, will he get the training, utilization, and exposure he'd get as a TE at Iowa? I don't think thats even a discussion, he won't. Look back a few years. How many people had T.J.Hock on their radar as a top TE recruit? Given the recent and ongoing success of Iowa TE's in the draft, literally anyone who plays for the Hawks has a leg up come draft time.

Hock was a stud who worked his tail off and it paid off. However, if Fant and Hock didn't have excellent combines, they would have fallen to the 2nd or 3rd rounds (ala Epenesa). Iowa had 2 stellar athletes who had great careers and showcased their skills at the combine. Those who think that anyone who becomes a tight end at Iowa is automatically earmarked for the NFL are ridiculously mistaken as Wieting, Cook and Beyer won't be playing on Sundays. Iowa has 4+% of the tight ends in the NFL (granted, hopefully 3 of the best this year), but that means 95% of the TEs played elsewhere. With respect to Fidone, there probably isn't anyone else in the 2021 class that is 6'4", runs sub 4.7, has arms that hang to his knees, huge soft hands and cat quick moves coming out of breaks. Again he needs to gain 20+ pounds of muscle, focus on blocking and stay healthy. If he does those things he will be a high draft pick in 2024 whether he is in Iowa City, Lincoln or Baton Rouge. Get over it!

Hock was a stud who worked his tail off and it paid off. However, if Fant and Hock didn't have excellent combines, they would have fallen to the 2nd or 3rd rounds (ala Epenesa). Iowa had 2 stellar athletes who had great careers and showcased their skills at the combine. Those who think that anyone who becomes a tight end at Iowa is automatically earmarked for the NFL are ridiculously mistaken as Wieting, Cook and Beyer won't be playing on Sundays. Iowa has 4+% of the tight ends in the NFL (granted, hopefully 3 of the best this year), but that means 95% of the TEs played elsewhere. With respect to Fidone, there probably isn't anyone else in the 2021 class that is 6'4", runs sub 4.7, has arms that hang to his knees, huge soft hands and cat quick moves coming out of breaks. Again he needs to gain 20+ pounds of muscle, focus on blocking and stay healthy. If he does those things he will be a high draft pick in 2024 whether he is in Iowa City, Lincoln or Baton Rouge. Get over it!
Get over what exactly? First off I never said the kid wouldn't get drafted, even highly from Nebraska, never said that. What I did say was that if he goes to Iowa he'd receive better training in a pro style offense that would make maximum use of his TE skills, and the exposure of playing in an offense that will use his skills like few others. Again I would claim there is NO argument to be made here. There is no possible way he would get this same level of exposure for his skills at 99% of the schools in college football, and at least historically certainly not in Lincoln. Also I have no idea what will happen with Beyer and neither do you. What I do know for a fact is that pretty much EVERY TE who has played at Iowa under KF has been drafted or at least a FA contract, and that includes guys like Eric Jenson who was basically a fullback, and Parker Hesse who was a DE. Wieting I believe was picked up as a FA, and we don'y yet know about Beyer. Cook never played a significant down at Iowa, so not sure he's relevant. Lastly I'm not really concerned if Fidone comes to Iowa or not. If he does he'll join a stacked TE room with Laporta, Miamen, Lachey, Yelverton, Beyer, Schulte, and Frericks. If not we may very well bring in another quality TE or use that scholly on a position of greater need.

Last edited:
We are in a good spot regardless. Fidone will have a chance anywhere he goes, BUT Iowa would give him the best chance to develop into an all around TE. Not really debatable. Kids prob gonna be a Husker tho. I believe we end up with Helm in the end which is Aok with me

From what I have heard, Fidone and Jones aren't very close. As much time as Fidone has spent working out with Max Duggan the past few months, I just wonder if he may not give TCU a look see. No matter, he will still probably be a Husker.

Last edited:
From what I have heard, Fidone and Jones aren't very close. As much time as Fidone has spent working out with Max Duggan the past few months, I just wonder if he may not give TCU a look see. No matter, he will still probably be a Husker.
Where do you come up with your info? You state you have connections, that earlier stated he was lazy. His body build and athletic ability would suggest whoever the hell your source is, they are full of shit.

Offense

Defense
2.) Safety (Edwards)
It ends up with a national championship......

ADVERTISEMENT