ADVERTISEMENT

With 5 games remaining, where Iowa stands for BTT and NCAA seeding

libertyhawkeye

HR All-State
Oct 22, 2011
With Iowa beating Wisconsin, they are in a pretty good position to control their destiny to improve their stock.

BTT- Right now they are 4th in the Big Ten with Purdue (-1GB), Wisconsin (-1.5GB), and Rutgers/Indiana (-2.5GB). Top 4 seed gives Iowa a double bye to start play on Friday. That's a must.

NCAA- Iowa was ranked 13th and a 4th seed in Region 1 on last Sunday's NCAA early bracket release. 4 seeds advancing to the Sweet 16 have the luxury of lining up with the number 1 seeds, and in this release Iowa was lucky to draw Gonzaga. If Iowa draws Gonzaga or Baylor the chances for a deep postseason run are limited. Also worth noting Iowa beat MSU on Sunday after the NCAA projection, beat Wisconsin yesterday, and has a good opportunity to beat PSU this Sunday so they'll likely be a more solid '3' if not edging on 2 after this week. A 1 seed is likely insurmountable unless Iowa wins out through the BTT.

So what are the due outs from here? The remaining schedule is vs PSU, @ OSU, @ MICH, vs WIS, and vs NEB scheduled somewhere in there.

It's entirely reasonable to expect Iowa to beat PSU, WIS, and NEB if they show up because they are the superior team and at home in all. 4/5 or even 3/5 will likely get a top 4 finish in the BT standings.

The NCAA seeding gets kinda squirrely. If Iowa takes 4/5 by beating either Michigan or Ohio State, and wins at least 1 game in the BTT, I think they're solidly a 3 seed at the worst. At a minimum they need to win 3 of the next 5 and one game in the BTT. So many hypotheticals that's why I created the thread. What do you think?

If we can maintain this level of play I think we run the table....

Huge if. We need CJF to be at least 90% or better to have a chance against Indiana if we were to meet for a 3rd time in the BTT (yeah they suck, but his presence was missed) and especially OSU and Michigan.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Iowa is a 1 seed if they win out and win the BTT. Other than that I see them anywhere from a 2-4 seed.

I'd really like to see Iowa play Zaga again as the first time they played they did not give them their best game.

If we can maintain this level of play I think we run the table....

Can you imagine this team if;
-we get the Luka like last night (and most of the last two seasons)
-Joe W keeps playing like he has been
-Jordan gets back to that stretch he had earlier this season
-CJ's foot stays relatively pain free
-Keegan grabbing boards like a friggin Shop-Vac
-We get MSU version of Nunginator
-Patrick stops shooting and keeps up his defense
-you get the point....

But here's a thought too: can all of that possibly happen? Seriously, is that even realistic? I mean there aren't enough possessions in a game for all of that to play out, but you get my point. This team would be sickening when all the cylinders are firing.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Iowa is a 1 seed if they win out and win the BTT. Other than that I see them anywhere from a 2-4 seed.

I'd really like to see Iowa play Zaga again as the first time they played they did not give them their best game.
Be careful what you wish for with Gonzaga.

I would love to see Iowa play Gonzaga again.................but not until the Final 4!!

I honestly think we match up better with the Zags than Baylor but both would be tough outs. JMO. Go Hawks!🏀🐤💪

from libertyhawkeye's post:

"BTT- Right now they are 4th in the Big Ten with Purdue (-1GB), Wisconsin (-1.5GB), and Rutgers/Indiana (-2.5GB). Top 4 seed gives Iowa a double bye to start play on Friday. That's a must".

The double bye would benefit CJF more than any other player and that individual benefit in turn benefits the rest of the team to have a really healthy CJF, right?

BTT - Purdue has very favorable schedule left. Iowa has to go 4-1 to get a double bye or 3-2 and hope Purdue loses.

NCAA - Assuming we go 0-1 in BTT, if we go 3-2 otherwise, we’re probably right on the 3/4 line. 4 wins is a solid 3. 5+ wins should be a 2. All assuming those losses do not include Neb.

Im with ya. Seems Iowa has found their traction again
At this point it SEEMs like they figured out how to play some man defense. If that continues they can make a serious run. If they can hold teams around 70 or fewer as they have in their three game run, they'll be damn hard to beat. Not many teams can hold Iowa under 70 unless they are really shooting poorly.....

Oh, I'd like to play Gonzaga again too...... in the Final 4.
Absolutely. Iowa is capable of better on both ends of the floor then we saw in that game, and they stayed in the game. One of these days their going to blow the doors off a really good team, and that would be the perfect showcase.....

ADVERTISEMENT