ADVERTISEMENT

With Drew Tate, Beathard or Stanzi we would be undefeated and top 10

I'll counter: With Yanda, Scherff, Welsh, Blythe, or Bulaga, Iowa would be undefeated and in the top 10. It's the O-line much more than the QB. Everyone wants to put in Petras, but why? Like he wouldn't get sacked 4 times per game and be constantly under pressure leading to fumbles and picks.
I wouldn't say much more, if stanley was more accurate on a couple passes things could have been way different. I also get sick and tired of seeing him pump fake and then get sacked 1 second later.
O line has plenty of blame to take though, I was ready for polasek to go before this week :)

I wouldn't say much more, if stanley was more accurate on a couple passes things could have been way different. I also get sick and tired of seeing him pump fake and then get sacked 1 second later.
O line has plenty of blame to take though, I was ready for polasek to go before this week :)

Yeah, I mean, I know Stanzi, Banks, and Tate all had the ability to handle pressure better than Stanley, but all three of those guys had really, really good offensive lines. I'm not sure if it's coaching, recruiting, injuries, or what, but Iowa's o-line is awful. It has gotten worse under Polasek and Brian as OC, that's for sure. Does Iowa not recruit guards any more? They recruit a lot of tackle types, but they're really weak at guard every damn year.

It's just typical that these negative posters come out of the woodwork after a loss or two...fire everybody-with no idea who to get that is guaranteed to make it better as the next hire.

Nate's a good young man and a pretty good QB........Tate had a different skill set and he could be a difference maker with this team....but that ain't happening.

It's just typical that these negative posters come out of the woodwork after a loss or two...fire everybody-with no idea who to get that is guaranteed to make it better as the next hire.

Nate's a good young man and a pretty good QB........Tate had a different skill set and he could be a difference maker with this team....but that ain't happening.

Tate, Banks, and Stanzi also had much better offensive lines blocking for them. WAY better!

I really don't understand how fans aren't seeing just how awful the o-line is. They're making the QB, the RBs, and the WRs look a lot worse than they are. They're also making the playcalling look worse than it is.

You think Stanley has regressed because the team has lost 2 straight, 1 score games vs teams almost certain to finish in the top 15, called Mich and Penn State? By the way, in each, statistically out preforming the qb from those two schools, while hit exponentially more than them, and not having close to the running production behind him.

you are delusional.

stanley will blow past Tate next week, and be a solid #2 in history of the program for TD passes.
Get a grip

I guess I’m delusional. Please tell me again how Stanley out performed both Patterson and Clifford? You realize there is more to being a QB than just passing yards right?

Clifford 50% passing 117yds - 1TD/0 INT
16 carries for 52 yds 3.3 avg - qb rat 104.7

Stanley 58.1% passing 286 yds - 1 TD/1 INT
6 carries for -5 yds -.8 avg - qb rat 117

———————-
Patterson 53.8% passing 147 yds 0TD/1 INT
7 carries 25 yds for 3.6 avg. qb rat 93.6

Stanley 54.8% passing 260 yds
0TD/3 INT
8 carries -65 yds for -8.1 avg. qb rat 92.5

The only thing that is delusional is believing Stanley out performed both of these QBs. The defense’s are fairly close but Iowa’s is the best of the three.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDJ7
I guess I’m delusional. Please tell me again how Stanley out performed both Patterson and Clifford? You realize there is more to being a QB than just passing yards right?

Clifford 50% passing 117yds - 1TD/0 INT
16 carries for 52 yds 3.3 avg - qb rat 104.7

Stanley 58.1% passing 286 yds - 1 TD/1 INT
6 carries for -5 yds -.8 avg - qb rat 117

———————-
Patterson 53.8% passing 147 yds 0TD/1 INT
7 carries 25 yds for 3.6 avg. qb rat 93.6

Stanley 54.8% passing 260 yds
0TD/3 INT
8 carries -65 yds for -8.1 avg. qb rat 92.5

The only thing that is delusional is believing Stanley out performed both of these QBs.
Yes, you are delusional

Reactions: TJFant
That’s fair but the Iowa wide receivers are actually pretty good. Do they beat their man every time? No. But if Stanley has the ability to elude the rush (even half of the time) and get out of the pocket, that gives Iowa’s receivers 2-3 more seconds to get open. That’s how you win in today’s college game. Look at Brock Purdy. He’s not taking 5 step drops and hitting open receivers every time. He uses his feet to bounce around the pocket and wait for someone to come open so he can use his arm. If the opposing defense gets penetration on Stanley it’s a sack or ball thrown away 9/10 times. Iowa doesn’t need Russell Wilson, but it’d be nice to have someone who can occasionally buy a little time with his legs.
Outside of the quick slants to Rico, I do not remember an Iowa receiver open down the field. I may have missed a play or two so if I am wrong please correct me. The touchdown toss to Smith was a pick if not for Smith's athletic heroics and he was blanketed by the DB.

If it were any of those guys leading this team we are looking at a different season. Can't hide QB play and the modern college game requires some level of mobility.
Let's see.when Iowa won at Happy Valley,with Stanzi, what was the impetus? A blocked punt. The defense is great, but it doesn;'t give Iowa the ball due to turnovers that help the offense.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
None of us like the losses but if blame is to be placed Stanley is down the list. Porous offensive line, no running game and sketchy play calling are at the top of the list. It is rather difficult to throw the ball when you are constantly dodging bullets or on your back.

None of us like the losses but if blame is to be placed Stanley is down the list. Porous offensive line, no running game and sketchy play calling are at the top of the list. It is rather difficult to throw the ball when you are constantly dodging bullets or on your back.
yeah he's down the list. Could have still won both these games if the o-line could do their job and give the qb more than a couple seconds and give the rb's a damn hole to run through. With that said, Stanley sure makes enough mistakes for a 3 year senior starter.

Reactions: AirForceChiefO
Tate, Banks, and Stanzi also had much better offensive lines blocking for them. WAY better!

I really don't understand how fans aren't seeing just how awful the o-line is. They're making the QB, the RBs, and the WRs look a lot worse than they are. They're also making the playcalling look worse than it is.
it's been years since they were dominant.. 2009 w Stanzi was your last great team. 2015 was a mirage, avoiding Ohio State and Penn State, and getting destroyed by Stanford, made the whole conf look awful.

This year you guys prob lose to Wisconsin, and Minnesota... Purdue is too beat up to beat you.. but you better not settle for FG's all game long. 4 Losses is solid.. next year might be a total rebuild.

?? what are the chances of you guys getting OSU/PSU and or OSU/UM each season now.. having 2 of those crossover could really influence your season (like your last Rose Bowl)

People have very short memories and had no problem pointing fingers at the OLine when it broke down and these great QB's got sacked. In 3 years Petras will be the whipping boy......SOS....
This is exactly right. There has been alot of talk on here about former hawk QB's and how they would have done on this team. As you said people have short memories. If you go back and look at the records for each over a three to four year period, pretty much all of their W-L records will be very similar to Stanleys. Even our two Heisman runners up. Long had one year out of the norm 8-9 win season. Both he and Banks had one season of 10-2 and neither played very well in the losses. Were they not big game QB's? Saturday, like the week before was a team loss. I'll guarantee one thing only. Many of the same people here crying for Petras now, will be the same one's wanting him benched if he struggles in the next couple of years, for whatever the reason...

Nope, Joe Philbin and it isn’t even close

I thought Joe had left after a couple of years, forgot that he was the architect of the 2002 line, probably Kirk’s most dominant group. They had a certain innate nastiness that has been lacking in recent years.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Just think how good we would be with -

WRs - CJ Jones/McNutt
OT - Gallery/Scherff
OG - Steinbach/YandA
OC - Daniels
TEs - Clark/Hock
RBs - Greene/Russell

In this case I think Stanley would be undefeated too

it's been years since they were dominant.. 2009 w Stanzi was your last great team. 2015 was a mirage, avoiding Ohio State and Penn State, and getting destroyed by Stanford, made the whole conf look awful.

This year you guys prob lose to Wisconsin, and Minnesota... Purdue is too beat up to beat you.. but you better not settle for FG's all game long. 4 Losses is solid.. next year might be a total rebuild.

?? what are the chances of you guys getting OSU/PSU and or OSU/UM each season now.. having 2 of those crossover could really influence your season (like your last Rose Bowl)

That Rose Bowl team had a pretty good offensive line. Iowa ran the ball A LOT and didn't have nearly the problems it has had the past three years. Not Iowa's fault PSU and OSU couldn't make the B10 CCG that year--they should have beaten MSU then they would have held up their end. I don't remember PSU being anything special that year. It was a race between MSU and OSU out east and OSU blew it AT HOME against MSU. Iowa took MSU down to the wire in the championship game. No shame in that. Iowa also ran into Christian McCaffery in the Rose Bowl and neither OSU or PSU or MSU had anyone on their teams that was even close to that talented. They also didn't have o-lines as good as Stanford's either. Overall, that was a down year for the B10 so PSU and OSU contributed to the conference looking "bad." Iowa took advantage so I say cheers to them for doing so.

But yes, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009 teams were better than the 2015 team. Even if Iowa somehow had lost to PSU and OSU that year they would have been 10-2 and probably would have won their bowl game against a lesser opponent. Iowa didn't embarrass the conference, though. Look at what McCaffery is doing in the NFL: he's arguably the best running back in the entire league.

This year Iowa probably loses to UW. Minnesota? We'll see. They're definitely better than they've been, but unlike Minnesota, Iowa will be battle tested by that point in the season. The game is at Kinnick and as long as Iowa's defense stays healthy I don't see Minnesota scoring more than PSU did. Minnesota's defense isn't anywhere close to being as good as Michigan's or PSU's so Iowa's offense could find its way by then. I'm more worried about NW on the road than I am about Minnesota. There's a lot of football to be played between now and the Minnesota game. If Iowa runs off wins and the offense improves while doing it, I think Minnesota might get a taste of humble pie on the road.

Reactions: aapeltzz
He also hesitates and double pumps on nearly every throw, long or short, making the OL look like they're doing a horrible job.

Nobody is making the O-line look like they are doing a horrible job, they are doing a horrible job. They do a great job of showing it for themselves.

Yeah, I mean, I know Stanzi, Banks, and Tate all had the ability to handle pressure better than Stanley, but all three of those guys had really, really good offensive lines. I'm not sure if it's coaching, recruiting, injuries, or what, but Iowa's o-line is awful. It has gotten worse under Polasek and Brian as OC, that's for sure. Does Iowa not recruit guards any more? They recruit a lot of tackle types, but they're really weak at guard every damn year.

Agree, they have recruited a lot of taller tackle types but not even big man child tackles, more like tall guys who need to fill out a lot and look a bit soft. Jackson and Wirfs aside although Wirfs would be a nasty guard if they had another good tackle. Need to recruit some bulldozers with a chip on their shoulder. I'd consider putting Kalenberger at tackle and moving Wirfs to guard.

Agree, they have recruited a lot of taller tackle types but not even big man child tackles, more like tall guys who need to fill out a lot and look a bit soft. Jackson and Wirfs aside although Wirfs would be a nasty guard if they had another good tackle. Need to recruit some bulldozers with a chip on their shoulder. I'd consider putting Kalenberger at tackle and moving Wirfs to guard.
Most teams recruit tall it's who are athletic and try to widen them out... Very few are snap ready coming in

Nobody is making the O-line look like they are doing a horrible job, they are doing a horrible job. They do a great job of showing it for themselves.
Well, I'm not saying the oline isn't horrible, I'm just saying it makes it even horribler-er.

I'd consider putting Kalenberger at tackle and moving Wirfs to guard.

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen a few other posters mentioning that, too. At this point, they've got to try something because the guards aren't getting it done. It doesn't help that Banwart is out for the year and Schott has been injured for weeks now.

Many of the same people here crying for Petras now, will be the same one's wanting him benched if he struggles in the next couple of years, for whatever the reason...

Yup. They're going to be saying, "Why can't Iowa recruit QBs?" when they should be saying, "Why can't Iowa recruit guards?" The evidence is in the running game as well as the passing game. When a team can't do either well, you look at the o-line to figure out what's wrong.

Past and future QB's, and the 2nd team guy, always seem to be legends, or legends in the making.

Drew Tate was 13-12 in his Junior & Senior years
Stanzi was 8-5 his Senior year.
Beathard was 8-5 his Senior year

In other words, those guys lost games too.

But, if Stanley leads this team to 8-5 this year, he will be the worst QB in Iowa history. :rolleyes:

If it were any of those guys leading this team we are looking at a different season. Can't hide QB play and the modern college game requires some level of mobility.
Drew Tate had an awesome sophomore season and then the Hawks were 13-12 his Junior and Senior years. So the Hawks record the 3 years he played was 23-14 which in all likelihood will be worse than Stanley's 3 years at the helm. Again, the quarterback is one of 22 base starters, definitely the most important. But to make ridiculous statements like you make-----is ridiculous!

Past and future QB's, and the 2nd team guy, always seem to be legends, or legends in the making.

But, if Stanley leads this team to 8-5 this year, he will be the worst QB in Iowa history. :rolleyes:
It is great to see a poster with his head out of his as*!

Tate was actually 11-12 his last two years. Jason Manson played against Syracuse and Jake Christensen played against Northern Illinois in 2006. Drew was only 4-7 that year.

I'm not sure any of those QBs would fare well with this terrible interior line play. The pass rush, traditional and blitzing, sprints right up the gut like running through paper.

Michigan and Penn St. had defenders in Nate's face as soon as he took the snap. The C is too small and inexperienced and the guards are just terrible.

The NFL has this great film package you can purchase. It shows every play from four angles. When you watch the angle from directly behind and ground level you can really see how an unchecked up the middle rush affects the QB's vision. In our case, too many plays begin with the QB having no chance to even see most of the field-and the QB is not the guy that can fix that problem.

No OLine cam block for a QB who has his feet stuck in the mud, and on top of it, he's not a gamer, missed B.Smith to go ahead on a 5 yard slant by 2 yards. Terrible.
New England does a good job of protecting Brady, and I don't think I have ever seen his feet move. Also, the Miami Dolphins had Dan Marino who had less mobility then that statue out front of Kinnick, and he passed for how many yards, and how many TD'S? Marino never had a defense.I don't recall Peyton Manning being the most fleet of foot either. Nate is Jesse Owens compared to Brady and Marino, LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: TJFant

One won the B1G. One won an Orange Bowl, and the last one won the division including the only undefeated regular season in Iowa history. If Stanley can lead his team to any of these Id guarantee the narrative on him would change.

I don’t recall anyone saying Stanley is the worst QB ever. But way to over exaggerate. Those QBs did lose games, but they also won a lot of big games too.

Last edited:
Stanzi and Tate maybe. Did Beathard ever play well against a decent team? His two biggest wins were Wisconsin in 2015 (9/21 for 77 yards) when they fumbled over themselves at the goalline and Michigan in 2016 (8/19 for 66 yards) when he threw a pick that should've ended the game, and for some reason Michigan chose to throw the ball and not run out the clock, punt and commit a phantom facesmask and then give up a game winning FG. He lost four bowl games (I count LSU since we were only down a score with the ball when Rudock got hurt), a B10 title game (where he only really made one memorable play), and got destroyed his only game vs PSU.
Another poster who makes sense-----HURRAH!!! I continue to be blown away by so many posters on here who have no idea that there are 21 other positional players in addition to the quarterback (not counting special teams). It continues to be the quarterbacks' wins and losses and not the team. Eli Manning, Trent Dilfer, and Doug Williams all have Super Bowl rings but it wasn't because any of them were great quarterbacks. AJ McCarron and Scott Frost have National Championship rings and both were a little above average. It is a team game!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT