ADVERTISEMENT

With Penn State on the horizon, I just can't seem to reconcile the NCAA pulverizing SMU...

with the "death penalty" in the 1980s, a penalty that they have never fully recovered from, and the fact that Penn State was treated so much more delicately and continues to thrive as a program.

Just can't help but to marvel at that...
While it's true that PSU is a garbage program with garbage fans, they are also still a mainstay in major college football. I don't know why. But I would like to reiterate the fact that PSU is a garbage program with garbage fans. The type of people who do almost nothing to rebuke rampant pedophilia.

SMU was formidable and in a major conference at the time (SWC) with Texas, A&M, and Arkansas. They were no joke.

Also penn state never got "left behind" with their issues.

SMU's issues got them knocked out of what would become the Big 12, so they were playing in poorer conferences when the money began to shoot way up. That left them behind when they were in a spot to rebound. Penn State always had big ten money/exposure.

Also penn state never got "left behind" with their issues.

SMU's issues got them knocked out of what would become the Big 12, so they were playing in poorer conferences when the money began to shoot way up. That left them behind when they were in a spot to rebound. Penn State always had big ten money/exposure.
This brings up an interesting question. Would SMU have been invited to join the Big XII? The new conference was " the old Big 8 plus 4 we hate." Would they have gone to 14 and brought in TCU? Arkansas already jumped to the SEC so they were spoken for. Would a TCU & SMU deal have left Iowa State on the outside looking in? The impact of SMU's punishment rippled throughout the entire sport.

As others have pointed out, Penn St survived harsher NCAA sanctions for the same reason they didn't get booted from the B1G -

$$$$$$$$

Kinda hard explaining that to the victims and their families.

I could be wrong but I believe the NCAA is supposed to hold schools and programs accountable on breaches of NCAA bylaws. As horrific as pedophelia is it's a crime punishable through the criminal justice system. The NCAA does not have the power or jurisdiction to investigate and get involved in criminal matters even if it wants to. Instead items like giving improper benefits to student athletes are under NCAA bylaws and under their jurisdiction to punish. That is not actually a crime but a breach of a bylaw. It's amazing how many confuse the justice system with the freaking NCAA. Let me know the next time you get pulled over for speeding but the NCAA.

If you have not followed the actual details.... those high ranking individuals involved in the cover up of crimes committed by one deranged man have long been cleaned out of PSU and several have been convicted including the former president and AD. It's not like PSU or the true individuals who did not do the right thing just skated by. Has Joe Pa's son been hired since for any football job?

I'm really not sure why this is still a topic? Let's just beat them and celebrate.

You guys are going to make StateCollegeMan angry. Not only will he pulverize you with some MMA he won't share his custom sausages with you.

Reactions: Cougar63
I could be wrong but I believe the NCAA is supposed to hold schools and programs accountable on breaches of NCAA bylaws. As horrific as pedophelia is it's a crime punishable through the criminal justice system. The NCAA does not have the power or jurisdiction to investigate and get involved in criminal matters even if it wants to. Instead items like giving improper benefits to student athletes are under NCAA bylaws and under their jurisdiction to punish. That is not actually a crime but a breach of a bylaw. It's amazing how many confuse the justice system with the freaking NCAA. Let me know the next time you get pulled over for speeding but the NCAA.

If you have not followed the actual details.... those high ranking individuals involved in the cover up of crimes committed by one deranged man have long been cleaned out of PSU and several have been convicted including the former president and AD. It's not like PSU or the true individuals who did not do the right thing just skated by. Has Joe Pa's son been hired since for any football job?

I'm really not sure why this is still a topic? Let's just beat them and celebrate.

Then how was the NCAA able to levy penalties against Penn State?

with the "death penalty" in the 1980s, a penalty that they have never fully recovered from, and the fact that Penn State was treated so much more delicately and continues to thrive as a program.

Just can't help but to marvel at that...

Because you are a ****ing moron. But I digress

PSU should have been jettisoned from the conference. They are C-USA material as people. They should count their blessings. Philly trash is an improvement over PSU.

You said "pedophiles should die" I said I agree what is your point.

Your reply had nothing to do with my question. Could you answer. What is your point?

Then how was the NCAA able to levy penalties against Penn State?

That's just it... they had no right actually. Part of the reason they softened. The NCAA overstepped but PSU fighting it too much looks bad publically so they just cleaned house and the NCAA lightened up over time.

What Sandusky did was a CRIMINAL matter not an NCAA matter.

So if a coach is arrested now for public intox, DUI, etc why is the NCAA not dropping the hammer on programs? Are they not in the business of being an authority on crimes??

That's just it... they had no right actually. Part of the reason they softened. The NCAA overstepped but PSU fighting it too much looks bad publically so they just cleaned house and the NCAA lightened up over time.

What Sandusky did was a CRIMINAL matter not an NCAA matter.

So if a coach is arrested now for public intox, DUI, etc why is the NCAA not dropping the hammer on programs? Are they not in the business of being an authority on crimes??

Agree 100%.

Well, last I checked, there were indeed some NCAA sanctions against Penn St, so there must have been some kind of bylaw violation, eh, Cliff Clavin? Or am I just amazingly confused?

Well, last I checked, there were indeed some NCAA sanctions against Penn St, so there must have been some kind of bylaw violation, eh, Cliff Claven? Or am I just amazingly confused?

Read through the sanctions ..., see what was sighted. They overstepped on a criminal matter because of public outrage. Not saying outrage was not warranted. They used some general bylaw to apply that could apply to anything. They realized the mistake and therefore slowly tried to walk it back because they set precedent by getting involved in a criminal matter.

Again, can they put Iowa on probation now because KF commits tax fraud? Why not?

Read through the sanctions ..., see what was sighted. They overstepped on a criminal matter because of public outrage. Not saying outrage was not warranted. They used some general bylaw to apply that could apply to anything. They realized the mistake and therefore slowly tried to walk it back because they set precedent by getting involved in a criminal matter.

Again, can they put Iowa on probation now because KF commits tax fraud? Why not?

Thank you from And1Hawk. You are one of the few people who actually READ anything on this subject. Most just believed what they were told.

How could I not?
LOL
really, you are spell checking when you haven't read any evidence about a subject you are adamantly commenting about?
giphy.gif

What NCAA rule did Penn State break? Just wondering...............
Really?

Isn't there a NCAA Morality clause? Isn't there some NCAA requirement that teams, coaches and administrations must not break our State and Federal Laws, must not promote teacher student abuse, obstruct justice, to name a few?

Are we going to have this discussion again.

This is part of the PSU legacy now and for ever.

Penn State violated zero NCAA regulations. Therefore, any NCAA sanctions levied against Penn State were completely bogus.

There was a predictable and appropriate public outcry for justice, but just putting the actual bad guy (Sandusky) in jail wasn't enough. People wanted to have others to blame, because it's difficult to accept that someone like Sandusky could pull the wool over everyone's eyes and get away with it. The reality is that Paterno did exactly what he should have. In fact, the NCAA actually published a guidance about how to handle allegation of potential abuse, and it directed coaches to report to their superiors just like Paterno did. There were Penn State administrative folks who were charged and found or plead guilty of child endangerment. There was no cover up, but people needed more people to be punished.

Actually, there were people who were in a position to protect these children and/or stop Sandusky, but they failed. These people were beaurocrats and politicians in PA. Unfortunately, this is too political and there are people too important or connected to be subject to any inquiry or official investigation.

While it is sad that your fan base would use the evil done by one man to paint an entire university, alumni, and fans, it isn't just Iowa fans who are ill informed or just choose to knowingly spew venomous lies.

Really?

Isn't there a NCAA Morality clause? Isn't there some NCAA requirement that teams, coaches and administrations must not break our State and Federal Laws, must not promote teacher student abuse, obstruct justice, to name a few?

Are we going to have this discussion again.

This is part of the PSU legacy now and for ever.

Rather than argue about this, everyone here can simply go the NCAA database and look up what infractions PSU has committed.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search?types=major&q=penn+state

Go ahead and look it up. I'll wait.

Reactions: Hotshoe
ADVERTISEMENT