ADVERTISEMENT

With the NFL going anti QBs this draft

Vandenberg had 3000 yards, 25 TDs, and a 59% completion his junior year. And lasted 4 months with an NFL contract as an UDFA before being cut in training camp. Petras won’t be drafted with slightly better numbers. He’d need to put up close to 4000 yards with low INTs to have a shot. And that isn’t happening in a Ferentz offense.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Lol no.

The NFL is moving on from lumbering pocket statues.
So are most college teams. At a minimum, even "pro style" college QBs are expected to show an ability to scramble away from pressure and make throws or run when a play breaks down. He has the mobility of a water buffalo. If he was an accurate passer he might get a last round look but he checks in at around 56% over 20+ starts, among the least accurate starting QBs in the B10.

Last edited:
He'd need to be closer to 4000 yards and 40 TDs with a high completion rate to be even seen by the NFL scouts. The chances Spencer produces those numbers are pretty low-pretty pretty low. I would say somewhere in the upper 4 digits to 1. Far greater chances he ends the season on the bench.

I’m on the same train you are. Spencer will have to improve a great deal to end the season. KF knows he has a talented team he knows he has HAD a talented team and we’ve got a little bit of a window here. He’s not gonna ride the train with Spencer Petras if he knows there is an upside and I think he has one.

And it’s not Padilla, in fact I still believe Petra‘s ceiling is way higher than Alex’s!

He'd need to be closer to 4000 yards and 40 TDs with a high completion rate to be even seen by the NFL scouts. The chances Spencer produces those numbers are pretty low-pretty pretty low. I would say somewhere in the upper 4 digits to 1. Far greater chances he ends the season on the bench.

I’m on the same train you are. Spencer will have to improve a great deal to end the season. KF knows he has a talented team he knows he has HAD a talented team and we’ve got a little bit of a window here. He’s not gonna ride the train with Spencer Petras if he knows there is an upside and I think he has one.

And it’s not Padilla in fact I still believe Petra‘s ceiling is way higher than Alex’s!
So are most college teams. At a minimum, even "pro style" college QBs are expected to show an ability to scramble away from pressure and make throws or run when a play breaks down. He has the mobility of a water buffalo. If he was an accurate passer he might get a last round look but he checks in at around 56% over 20+ starts, among the least accurate starting QBs in the B10.

To be fair and to denote the difference. Stanley wasn’t very mobile but he was as easy to tackle as a water buffaloe. Spencer cant stay up …

Stanley was very underrated by our fans. As is fan favorite Ricky S. He was awesome and better than his last season record! Even though he was liked he was even better than perceived!

If people give hothead Drew Tate a pass for his crappy last season, Ricky should get one too!

With that said Ricky threw the stupidest INTs and it’s not hard to see why we struggled making him a starter. At times he completely had those, what the hell am I doing scenarios!

Completely agree. All three of Iowa's last QB recruits are highly mobile, especially compared to the typical Iowa QB. Part of the offensive line problems are born of the need to keep the pocket clean for more seconds than a faster thrower or a more mobile guy that punishes the ears back rush by running past the pass rushers.

That future has arrived. The Iowa coaches' willingness to change their recruiting profile for QBs so significantly since Spencer was recruited is a sign of a head coach and staff's flexibility. The QBs a team recruits says a lot about what a team wants to do.

Reactions: cmhawks99
With that said Ricky threw the stupidest INTs and it’s not hard to see why we struggled making him a starter. At times he completely had those, what the hell am I doing scenarios!
Which entirely explains KF's use of the first couple of games with Ricky in a reserve role before they were confident he could keep his shit together in live action. Plus Jake C has been more vilified than he deserved. Je did have 17/6 TD/Int ratio. Hell, junior season Ricky threw 6 pick sixes and the Hawks were 11-2.

Last edited:
Completely agree. All three of Iowa's last QB recruits are highly mobile, especially compared to the typical Iowa QB. Part of the offensive line problems are born of the need to keep the pocket clean for more seconds than a faster thrower or a more mobile guy that punishes the ears back rush by running past the pass rushers.

That future has arrived. The Iowa coaches' willingness to change their recruiting profile for QBs so significantly since Spencer was recruited is a sign of a head coach and staff's flexibility. The QBs a team recruits says a lot about what a team wants to do.

To be fair to the coaches, I’ll cut them a break on maybe not realizing how much of a statue Petras has turned out to be. Similar build to Stanley, who was able to escape the pocket if needed.

Really says something about the system he ran in high school to put up all those numbers he did while effectively stuck in the pocket.

To be fair to the coaches, I’ll cut them a break on maybe not realizing how much of a statue Petras has turned out to be. Similar build to Stanley, who was able to escape the pocket if needed.

Really says something about the system he ran in high school to put up all those numbers he did while effectively stuck in the pocket.
With the benefit of hindsight, Spencer's mobility issues were not predictable. His film showed several long runs and a dominating offensive line and superior receivers.

It's like the Iowa question in reverse. A lot of Iowa recruits have reduced expectations because the lack of competition, especially the small school guys. Spencer looked deceptively good playing for an area powerhouse against inferior competition.

With the benefit of hindsight, Spencer's mobility issues were not predictable. His film showed several long runs and a dominating offensive line and superior receivers.

It's like the Iowa question in reverse. A lot of Iowa recruits have reduced expectations because the lack of competition, especially the small school guys. Spencer looked deceptively good playing for an area powerhouse against inferior competition.

If he showed better pocket presence the lack of mobility would be less of a detriment. But he hasn’t consistently shown that his internal clock works properly.

It’s not anti-QB’s. This is just one of the weakest QB drafts in recent history. Petras just lacks too much pocket awareness, footwork and mobility to ever be successful in the NFL. If he had unbelievable throwing attributes then maybe scouts would overlook that but he doesn’t. I’d be surprised if he gets drafted let alone makes anything besides a practice squad.

If he showed better pocket presence the lack of mobility would be less of a detriment. But he hasn’t consistently shown that his internal clock works properly.
Good point. Today's environment requires a QB with mobility issues to complete a very high percentage of passes, which also requires an OL that can dominate in pass pro and good receivers that can get open with a low drop rate.

A lot of things can go wrong. If the QB is jumpy and lacks composure and pocket presence you get, Spencer Petras.

The were talking about this on night two of the draft. Developmental QB's are not that desirable. Train them and if they develop they want huge money or leave. Time and money spent training someone else"s QB or a player that does not work out.

Thinking there is anything Petras could do to get drafted by the NFL is akin to wondering what Austin Ash could do to get drafted by the NBA . . . which would be the more likely of the two.

Petras shouldn't be starting for a major college football team. Period. He reminds me of some of the QBs Iowa started back in the late 60s and 70s when Hawkeye football was consistently in the bottom ten.

Joe Labas should start. Padilla should back him up, and Petras should be wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. But, as usual, KF and company have the QB situation upside down.

BTW: Speaking of Stanzi and his INTs . . . why is a punt better than an INT? If punting is winning, why aren't INTs? Most of Stanzi's interceptions were long throws down the field . . . 30 yards or more . . . and when you connect, that's a pretty good thing. And if it's intercepted, so what? You would have been punting anyway.

Stanzi took risks, which is why KF had to be forced into playing him. KF still doesn't understand that there is nothing as risky as trying to avoid risk. And he never will. That's why I'd like to see someone not named Ferentz running the Hawkeye program someday, someone who understands that life . . . and football . . . are more fun and more successful when you take appropriate risks.

Thinking there is anything Petras could do to get drafted by the NFL is akin to wondering what Austin Ash could do to get drafted by the NBA . . . which would be the more likely of the two.

Petras shouldn't be starting for a major college football team. Period. He reminds me of some of the QBs Iowa started back in the late 60s and 70s when Hawkeye football was consistently in the bottom ten.

Joe Labas should start. Padilla should back him up, and Petras should be wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. But, as usual, KF and company have the QB situation upside down.

BTW: Speaking of Stanzi and his INTs . . . why is a punt better than an INT? If punting is winning, why aren't INTs? Most of Stanzi's interceptions were long throws down the field . . . 30 yards or more . . . and when you connect, that's a pretty good thing. And if it's intercepted, so what? You would have been punting anyway.

Stanzi took risks, which is why KF had to be forced into playing him. KF still doesn't understand that there is nothing as risky as trying to avoid risk. And he never will. That's why I'd like to see someone not named Ferentz running the Hawkeye program someday, someone who understands that life . . . and football . . . are more fun and more successful when you take appropriate risks.
My god you can’t be this stupid.

Reactions: shanksit44

Well the reason why a punt is better than an interception is that you have guys back to cover the punt, and a return off a punt is less likely than off an interception.

as for risk taking…you’re only lying to yourself if you think Kirk never takes risks. Kirk is and always has been a conservative coach, erring on the side of caution if he judges the risk to be greater than the reward. All coaches do this, but Kirks philosophy reflects his NFL background, where traditionally coaches have been more conservative than their college counterparts. Where I’ll agree he does frustrate me is at times he veers into playing it safe rather than conservative. This usually reflects his confidence in the various parts of the team. Our offense was not good last year, so Kirk preferred to play to his strengths on special teams and defense to create opportunities for the offense.

Alex Padilla flipped the Northwestern/Minnesota games and would not have lost the Kentucky game. Iowa's receivers magically dropped so many Padilla passes that it gave Kirk the opportunity to backtrack on a clear improvement.

Sure, of course…. Except strangely they dropped Petras‘s passes too.

He also didn’t appear to be capable of winning the Nebraska game either…

So basically what we have here is Petras with bad stats and Padilla with even worse… But sure, clearly better, got it!

I might agree with bold if Petras is not the starting QB this year.

This. It doesn’t matter who they recruit if they aren’t willing to play them

At this point in time as it pertains to some fans, KF would be better off playing anybody but Petras because that’s what certain fans want.

Then if they suck and he has to go back to Petras they won’t have much to say. Well they will because that’s how they are but it will be even less meaningful than it is already!

Alex Padilla flipped the Northwestern/Minnesota games and would not have lost the Kentucky game. Iowa's receivers magically dropped so many Padilla passes that it gave Kirk the opportunity to backtrack on a clear improvement.

So the ones they dropped thrown by 7 weren’t their fault. Only when they dropped 8’s passes, which I’m sure KF told them to drop so he had a reason to go back to 7. It’s very complicated but KF is very sly so this info good to know.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Sure, of course…. Except strangely they dropped Petras‘s passes too.

He also didn’t appear to be capable of winning the Nebraska game either…

So basically what we have here is Petras with bad stats and Padilla with even worse… But sure, clearly better, got it!
Or receivers that can't catch.

So it is official, isu is the undisputed TE U because they have had a TE taken in the 4th round.

CyTwit got one right.

To answer your question about punting vs int, you do remember his nickname right? He was called pick six Rick for a reason. 6 or 7 pick sixes in one season had to be some kind of record. Or do you really think that pinning the opponent inside their own 10 yard line is exactly the same thing as having them intercept the ball and run it back for 6 points? So you don't see the RISK in the other team scoring when they don't even have their offense on the field, and your great defense is helpless to defend because their not on the field? Do you even understand how the game is played, or are you just here to continue your tirade about anything to do with KF? Teams that score defensive TD's win about 90% of the games they score them in.

Reactions: sober_teacher
To answer your question about punting vs int, you do remember his nickname right? He was called pick six Rick for a reason. 6 or 7 pick sixes in one season had to be some kind of record. Or do you really think that pinning the opponent inside their own 10 yard line is exactly the same thing as having them intercept the ball and run it back for 6 points? So you don't see the RISK in the other team scoring when they don't even have their offense on the field, and your great defense is helpless to defend because their not on the field? Do you even understand how the game is played, or are you just here to continue your tirade about anything to do with KF? Teams that score defensive TD's win about 90% of the games they score them in.

And yet Stanzi was able to overcome those INTs and make big plays when games were on the line. He also improved his TD/INT ratio dramatically his SR year. I will take the offense of 09/10 over the shitshow that has been on display of late.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT