ADVERTISEMENT

With the NFL going anti QBs this draft

This. It doesn’t matter who they recruit if they aren’t willing to play them
Joe Labas is a RS Freshman, and he's the oldest of the group. May and Lainz III are the next two. Well technically I guess you would say Alex, but he cannot throw very well and has demonstrated and unwillingness to run when he has open running lanes.

How quickly Joe, who is obviously mobile, plays is yet to be seen. They aren't recruiting these guys to not play them. Last year's Spencer will not finish the season as a starter, and neither will Alex.

Reactions: sober_teacher
BTW: Speaking of Stanzi and his INTs . . . why is a punt better than an INT? If punting is winning, why aren't INTs? Most of Stanzi's interceptions were long throws down the field . . . 30 yards or more . . . and when you connect, that's a pretty good thing. And if it's intercepted, so what? You would have been punting anyway.

Stanzi took risks, which is why KF had to be forced into playing him. KF still doesn't understand that there is nothing as risky as trying to avoid risk. And he never will. That's why I'd like to see someone not named Ferentz running the Hawkeye program someday, someone who understands that life . . . and football . . . are more fun and more successful when you take appropriate risks.
Interceptions are much much easier to return than a hanging long punt, like Iowa gets from its current punter.

"Stanzi took risks, which is why KF had to be forced into playing him..." That statement is completely false.

1. No one on the Iowa campus could force Kirk to play anyone. How do you think the real chain of command and distribution of responsibilities works at Iowa, and really everywhere else? The head ball coach is trusted with the team, which includes playing time. If the AD and President cannot trust the coach to distribute playing time in a manner the coach thinks best they just fire the coach.

2. The QB controversy, which seemed big and loud at the time really lasted for just two halves. Even after playing terribly in game 2 Ricky started game 3. Indeed, Ricky got pulled for lousy play and Jake QBed the team from a come from behind win against the Clowns in game 2. Ricky got pulled for disciplinary reasons or he would have played out the rest of game 3 and did play almost every down thereafter. Ricky started the last ten games. Does that sound like much force was required? Ricky was the Wild Thing until his senior year and Jake was not as bad as legend has it. Ricky would not have started as a freshman over Jake at Iowa or almost any other place. Indeed, smart coaching would be patient for a couple of games to ensure Ricky wouldn't be too wild under live fire.

Furthermore, since Jake threw for 300 more yards 3 more touchdowns and 6 fewer interceptions (Jake only had 3 interceptions his starting season in ball possession offense) in their comparable sophomore years so the idea of giving Jake the first shot to win the job with a clearly improved team around him is hardly unreasonable or stubborn. After playing less than two halves KF and staff picked the guy with more big play potential.

Reality matters. That Stanzi story you tell is not close to the truth of the events as they unfolded. Hell, next season's team would have a better chance to win with Jake C under center rather than Spencer Petras.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Thinking there is anything Petras could do to get drafted by the NFL is akin to wondering what Austin Ash could do to get drafted by the NBA . . . which would be the more likely of the two.

Petras shouldn't be starting for a major college football team. Period. He reminds me of some of the QBs Iowa started back in the late 60s and 70s when Hawkeye football was consistently in the bottom ten.

Joe Labas should start. Padilla should back him up, and Petras should be wearing a headset and holding a clipboard. But, as usual, KF and company have the QB situation upside down.

BTW: Speaking of Stanzi and his INTs . . . why is a punt better than an INT? If punting is winning, why aren't INTs? Most of Stanzi's interceptions were long throws down the field . . . 30 yards or more . . . and when you connect, that's a pretty good thing. And if it's intercepted, so what? You would have been punting anyway.

Stanzi took risks, which is why KF had to be forced into playing him. KF still doesn't understand that there is nothing as risky as trying to avoid risk. And he never will. That's why I'd like to see someone not named Ferentz running the Hawkeye program someday, someone who understands that life . . . and football . . . are more fun and more successful when you take appropriate risks.
Day 3 of the NFL Draft...and you're STILL the dumbest poster on the board.

What does Spencer need to do to get drafted next year?

3150 yards
28 TD
64%

I think that gets him a look with the amount of games started in Iowas O.

I don’t think it’ll happen but let’s talk about it
I'll take the bait...
1. Stop seeing ghosts
2. Read the blitz
3. Be able to advance to the 2nd and 3rd options
4. Throw with accuracy
5. Improve footwork in the pocket
6. Stop golf clapping after missing wide open receiver

Reactions: RatTailGuy
5f321128-6878-4f0a-bc6a-58542346473a_text.gif

Wait. Did you mean for football?

ADVERTISEMENT