WNO this Saturday..preview

Spicolli

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Full article on teamusa.org

Some matches of interest:

138 pounds – No. 1 Jesse Mendez vs. No. 2 Casey Swiderski

Getting ready for this event, it will be difficult to not be excited to watch Indiana’s Jesse Mendez ahead of the wrestling action. Mendez has won this event three times in the past. The nation’s top-ranked pound-for-pound wrestler by FloWrestling made the Junior World team this year, further establishing his status as one of the best talents in the nation.

Swiderski, a Dundee High School (MI) standout, will undoubtedly look to provide a fight at 138 pounds on Saturday. A 2021 Junior Nationals finalist, Swiderski has won the Michigan D3 state championships three times. He will be a senior this season and has committed to Iowa State.

120 pounds – No. 1 Nate Jesuroga vs. No. 3 Joey Cruz

If you’re looking for excitement and firepower, here’s a match to circle.

Jesuroga is fresh off of his 2021 Cadet World Championships performance, where he brought a bronze medal back for the United States. He has firmly solidified himself as one of the top high school talents in the country, winning a state title at 113 pounds this year out of Southeast Polk High School.

Cruz recently committed to Oklahoma ahead of Saturday’s event. He is a two-time placer in the California state tournament, most recently taking second at 113 pounds in 2020. He finished third at the 2019 Cadet World Team Trials in freestyle and was a finalist at USA Wrestling’s 2020 Preseason Nationals.

145 pounds – No. 1 Hunter Garvin vs. No. 3 Jackson Arrington

Garvin, an Iowa high school standout, won his third USA Wrestling Folkstyle Nationals title this year, winning the Outstanding Wrestler award at April’s event. The Iowa City West wrestler is a two-time Iowa state champion and will look to lock down the nation’s top spot at 145 pounds.

Arrington, a Pennsylvania standout from Forest Hills High School, has committed to coach Pat Popolizio and North Carolina State for his college career. He has won a pair of PIAA state titles, including his standout championship performance as a freshman.

170 pounds – No. 3 Gabe Arnold vs. No. 5 Brayden Thompson

The second bout at 170 pounds is set to feature plenty of potential fireworks, as Arnold and Thompson provide another talent-filled matchup.

Arnold, who wrestles at Wyoming Seminary, has been widely touted as one of the top high school talents in the nation. He’s had plenty of sustained success that continued in July, when he won a 16U title at Fargo.

Arnold will do battle with Thompson, an Illinois native who was the Junior Freestyle runner-up at Fargo at 170 pounds, dropping his finals bout to Rojas. Thompson is a 2021 National High School Showcase champion who took third at the 2020 Illinois 3A state championships.

**The winner of these two matches will wrestle in the 170-pound final for the top spot at the weight class.

Full article on teamusa.org

Some matches of interest:

138 pounds – No. 1 Jesse Mendez vs. No. 2 Casey Swiderski

Getting ready for this event, it will be difficult to not be excited to watch Indiana’s Jesse Mendez ahead of the wrestling action. Mendez has won this event three times in the past. The nation’s top-ranked pound-for-pound wrestler by FloWrestling made the Junior World team this year, further establishing his status as one of the best talents in the nation.

Swiderski, a Dundee High School (MI) standout, will undoubtedly look to provide a fight at 138 pounds on Saturday. A 2021 Junior Nationals finalist, Swiderski has won the Michigan D3 state championships three times. He will be a senior this season and has committed to Iowa State.

120 pounds – No. 1 Nate Jesuroga vs. No. 3 Joey Cruz

If you’re looking for excitement and firepower, here’s a match to circle.

Jesuroga is fresh off of his 2021 Cadet World Championships performance, where he brought a bronze medal back for the United States. He has firmly solidified himself as one of the top high school talents in the country, winning a state title at 113 pounds this year out of Southeast Polk High School.

Cruz recently committed to Oklahoma ahead of Saturday’s event. He is a two-time placer in the California state tournament, most recently taking second at 113 pounds in 2020. He finished third at the 2019 Cadet World Team Trials in freestyle and was a finalist at USA Wrestling’s 2020 Preseason Nationals.

145 pounds – No. 1 Hunter Garvin vs. No. 3 Jackson Arrington

Garvin, an Iowa high school standout, won his third USA Wrestling Folkstyle Nationals title this year, winning the Outstanding Wrestler award at April’s event. The Iowa City West wrestler is a two-time Iowa state champion and will look to lock down the nation’s top spot at 145 pounds.

Arrington, a Pennsylvania standout from Forest Hills High School, has committed to coach Pat Popolizio and North Carolina State for his college career. He has won a pair of PIAA state titles, including his standout championship performance as a freshman.

170 pounds – No. 3 Gabe Arnold vs. No. 5 Brayden Thompson

The second bout at 170 pounds is set to feature plenty of potential fireworks, as Arnold and Thompson provide another talent-filled matchup.

Arnold, who wrestles at Wyoming Seminary, has been widely touted as one of the top high school talents in the nation. He’s had plenty of sustained success that continued in July, when he won a 16U title at Fargo.

Arnold will do battle with Thompson, an Illinois native who was the Junior Freestyle runner-up at Fargo at 170 pounds, dropping his finals bout to Rojas. Thompson is a 2021 National High School Showcase champion who took third at the 2020 Illinois 3A state championships.

**The winner of these two matches will wrestle in the 170-pound final for the top spot at the weight class.
I was just reading a Hawk Central article from Cody Goodwin, mentioning Jesuroga and Garvin at this event. As stated above Swiderski is a Cyclone recruit, as is Rojas. The Clones recently signed Carter Fousek too, maybe they're finally heading in the right direction with recruiting.

I certainly enjoy beating Iowa State at anything, but it's still more fun when their Wrestling Team is good and the duals are competitive, and we still beat them. It was must watch stuff for many years, great attendance, great matches with ranked guys facing off, etc. NCAA's were better too. And frankly the better Iowa, Iowa State and UNI are, the better for the State of Iowa Wrestling big picture IMO.

Time for the Clones to get their shit together so someone actually cares when we beat them.

Reactions: wasdt21
I was just reading a Hawk Central article from Cody Goodwin, mentioning Jesuroga and Garvin at this event. As stated above Swiderski is a Cyclone recruit, as is Rojas. The Clones recently signed Carter Fousek too, maybe they're finally heading in the right direction with recruiting.

I certainly enjoy beating Iowa State at anything, but it's still more fun when their Wrestling Team is good and the duals are competitive, and we still beat them. It was must watch stuff for many years, great attendance, great matches with ranked guys facing off, etc. NCAA's were better too. And frankly the better Iowa, Iowa State and UNI are, the better for the State of Iowa Wrestling big picture IMO.

Time for the Clones to get their shit together so someone actually cares when we beat them.
true. Even though their football team is inferior, that game always gets me nervous. Not the same in wrestling, it’s whether they win more than 2-3 matches l

true. Even though their football team is inferior, that game always gets me nervous. Not the same in wrestling, it’s whether they win more than 2-3 matches l
Now I'm always down for smack talking the clowns as much as possible, but a couple years ago (Sam Stoll's senior year) the dual with ISU was nailbitingly tight. Now we lost Wilson that dual and Sam was obviously a shell of himself, but it was still tight nonetheless. Even though we were infinitely better than them, duals are always hard to win with a couple slip ups.

I could see it being tight again next year with losing most of our starting line up. The new guys will have something to prove, that's for sure.

Now I'm always down for smack talking the clowns as much as possible, but a couple years ago (Sam Stoll's senior year) the dual with ISU was nailbitingly tight. Now we lost Wilson that dual and Sam was obviously a shell of himself, but it was still tight nonetheless. Even though we were infinitely better than them, duals are always hard to win with a couple slip ups.

I could see it being tight again next year with losing most of our starting line up. The new guys will have something to prove, that's for sure.
We still return a fair amount of firepower next year, that Iowa State can't match at this point.

Reactions: Grip220
I’m really looking forward to this event. The HS kids really seem to look forward to it.

What is the reason that once guys get to college it seems like they don’t want to wrestle anymore? No one will go to NWCA all star.

Garvin loses by a point. Very unconventional, dangerous wrestler because he is comfortable in dangerous positions.Guys will have to finish quick on him…Arrington had him dead to rights a few times and he scrambled out. It was tied and he got rode out by Arrington who had RT. Gassed a bit, was taking big breaths by the second.

I like the way Garvin wrestles. Not sure if that style is ever to make an NCAA champ, but he’ll be dangerous.

Man, that keylock throw by Henson on Williams was some absolute BS. I’m so pissed right now.

Reactions: IAChief32
I like the way Garvin wrestles. Not sure if that style is ever to make an NCAA champ, but he’ll be dangerous.

Man, that keylock throw by Henson on Williams was some absolute BS. I’m so pissed right now.

Reminds me a bit of Reyna.

Reminds me a bit of Reyna.
Really. Can’t say I’ve ever watched him close enough to notice, but I will now.

This 138 match with Mendez and Swiderski is great. Lots of action and high level technique. Impressed with both.

Isn't Swiderski the kid that upset Ayala when he wrestled up in weight last summer? This kid can wrestle.

Reactions: Jrjt0518

Right there with you. Kid was rewarded and won the match by hitting an illegal move. Officiating has been rough.

Reactions: crablegs1
Right there with you. Kid was rewarded and won the match by hitting an illegal move. Officiating has been rough.
Exactly. I was pissed about the move itself. Just as dirty as it gets.

but then the fact that won him the match just makes me furious.

Exactly. I was pissed about the move itself. Just as dirty as it gets.

but then the fact that won him the match just makes me furious.
Official should be ashamed he didn't recognize, but even more ashamed that he let it go for 3-4 seconds.

Jesuroga's hand-fighting and fundamentals are college ready. Just needs to put on size. Cruz seemed to be a lot bigger.

We had a number of guys on that mat that day who wouldn’t have been if we were wrestling say Maryland. That was the biggest reason it was close. Iowa was a much better team that season which isn’t going to change in the near future.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
We had a number of guys on that mat that day who wouldn’t have been if we were wrestling say Maryland. That was the biggest reason it was close. Iowa was a much better team that season which isn’t going to change in the near future.
I absolutely agree, just saying that duals can get scary close in a hurry with just a couple missteps, whereas in a tournament setting there's no galaxy where they're in the same realm as us.

Official should be ashamed he didn't recognize, but even more ashamed that he let it go for 3-4 seconds.

How about the secondary official just standing there and pointing?

Hey dude, you 100% can stop that action. Those refs were too focused on getting their TV time in.

How about the secondary official just standing there and pointing?

Hey dude, you 100% can stop that action. Those refs were too focused on getting their TV time in.
Guy on whistle for Henson vs Williams is a freestyle ref. Not sure why Flo used him probably the ties to USAW influenced that decision. The officials were bad. How about the stall call with :25 to go to decide 195. You don't decide #1 in the country that way.

Guy on whistle for Henson vs Williams is a freestyle ref. Not sure why Flo used him probably the ties to USAW influenced that decision. The officials were bad. How about the stall call with :25 to go to decide 195. You don't decide #1 in the country that way.
Stalling is an absolute joke of a rule.

Flo guys on the call were so pissed lol Come on dude. Know where you are.

Reactions: west2east
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT