ADVERTISEMENT

WOB

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I have often suspected that sports announcers and writers are responsible for a lot of WOBs and even worse perversions of the English language. Here's one I just stumbled across in an interview with an uncommitted basketball player:

"Where does your list stand right now? Have you been able to dwindle it down any further?"

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
I have often suspected that sports announcers and writers are responsible for a lot of WOBs and even worse perversions of the English language. Here's one I just stumbled across in an interview with an uncommitted basketball player:

"Where does your list stand right now? Have you been able to dwindle it down any further?"

I don't see anything wrong with that? I assume you're picking on the word "dwindle" and thinking it should be "whittle"?

Here is the definition of "dwindle" - to keep on becoming, or making, smaller or less; diminish; shrink.

I have never heard or read "dwindle" used as a transitive verb, but I see it is listed as an option. Clearly that's just WRONG and no civilized person would use it that way, but I guess he gets off on a technicality.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
Honest answers, guys. Did you look it up and then decide it wasn't a WOB? Or have you actually used it that way?
I was fairly certain right away that it was correct, but then I looked it up to be sure, and of course posted the definition.

I'm not that great with vocabulary though. Not to say I'm bad at it, but if you were on Jeopardy and the category came up, I'd not be the person you'd want to consult with. I was worried I was missing something else to also be perfectly honest.

"Dwindle it down" is not technically an incorrect phrase, but I have heard "whittle it down" countless times in my life and have never until today heard "dwindle it down".

I have heard dwindle used as a transitive verb many times (e.g., my interest is dwindling) but I have never heard it used in the context of an action taken by a person.

I still say it's a WOB.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by What W...us Do?:
Honest answers, guys.  Did you look it up and then decide it wasn't a WOB?  Or have you actually used it that way?
I've used it before in the same context. To shorten a list or actually talking about time dwindling down.

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:
Honest answers, guys. Did you look it up and then decide it wasn't a WOB? Or have you actually used it that way?
I've used it before in the same context. To shorten a list or actually talking about time dwindling down.
Sorry, it sounds like the kind of mistake a hillbilly, stupid Southerner, or inner city undereducated person would make. Yeah, stereotyping is awful, but that's what it sounds like.

Time winds down. You winnow things. Or whittle them down. Plenty of well-recognized alternatives.

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:
Honest answers, guys.  Did you look it up and then decide it wasn't a WOB?  Or have you actually used it that way?
Sorry, it sounds like the kind of mistake a hillbilly, stupid Southerner, or inner city undereducated person would make.  Yeah, stereotyping is awful, but that's what it sounds like.

Time winds down.  You winnow things.  Or whittle them down.  Plenty of well-recognized alternatives.
I've been called worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT