ADVERTISEMENT

WOB?

jscott78

HR Legend
May 29, 2001
How does hrot rule?

Helped that the university decided to support the football program whole heartily.

Originally posted by Goergs:
Nope. Wrong case of the word, but not a complete fail.
??????????????????

Has nothing to do with the case of a word.

I don't know if it's a WOB, because the definition of that changes on HROT depending upon who's offering the definition, but the example confuse a word -- heartily with a non-word -- heartedly -- that doesn't exist, and would mean something else if it did exist.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

I don't know if it's a WOB, because the definition of that changes on HROT depending upon who's offering the definition, but the example confuse a word -- heartily with a non-word -- heartedly -- that doesn't exist, and would mean something else if it did exist.
You always feel the need to qualify why you are so bad at this.

...and it always comes back to all of the rest of us being wrong.

The text from the quote does not change the meaning of the phrase. It is tantamount to a misspelling.

Compare to:

What's my age, again?
Where's my Asian friend?

Originally posted by 22*43*51

LC has dug in his heels and decided that all homophones should be considered WOBs, and he gets pissy when no one else agrees.

As for the OP, it's a low-grade WOB.

Originally posted by TJ8869:
Originally posted by 22*43*51

LC has dug in his heels and decided that all homophones should be considered WOBs, and he gets pissy when no one else agrees.

As for the OP, it's a low-grade WOB.
But in this case, Lone Clone is more-or-less right.

The expression is whole-heartedly.
Heartedly and heartily are NOT homophones. They are pronounced different.

As you said, it's a low-grade WOB - mainly because it's not that funny and clearly the person who said it was at least in the ballpark of understanding what the proper expression was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT