ADVERTISEMENT

Woke Mind Virus - Stanford Professor version

Dec 31, 2014
A hypocrite AND a fraud.

How did a skunk like this obtain so much influence?

She's a Stanford professor of math education who's arguably most responsible for the new California Math Framework — a set of curriculum recommendations that advocate against teaching algebra to most of the state's gifted middle-schoolers in the name of equity.

But she's sent her own children to a $48,000/year private school that teaches its middle schoolers algebra, and now she's accused of significantly distorting citations in her research to support conclusions the original studies never reached. Much of this research underpins the new Framework.

Meet Jo Boaler, California's architect of "equity-based algebra" in @metaversehell's piece today 👇

the new California Math Framework — a set of curriculum recommendations that advocate against teaching algebra to most of the state's gifted middle-schoolers in the name of equity.

Easily the most insidious development I've seen under the banner of 'equity' is preventing the capable from meeting their abilities, in order to reduce the gap between the less capable.

Just nuts.

The social Revolt by the unexceptional class.

They hate meritocracy.
They hate those who are exceptional.

It makes them feel icky.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

—C. S. Lewis

A hypocrite AND a fraud.

She's a Stanford professor of math education who's arguably most responsible for the new California Math Framework — a set of curriculum recommendations that advocate against teaching algebra to most of the state's gifted middle-schoolers in the name of equity.

But she's sent her own children to a $48,000/year private school that teaches its middle schoolers algebra, and now she's accused of significantly distorting citations in her research to support conclusions the original studies never reached. Much of this research underpins the new Framework.

Meet Jo Boaler, California's architect of "equity-based algebra" in @metaversehell's piece today 👇
why doesn't it link the actual article? seems like an interesting read...

and just so i'm clear...the unremarkable person who hates the exceptional is the stanford professor of mathematics that was the single biggest influence on an entire state's math curriculum?

why doesn't it link the actual article? seems like an interesting read...

and just so i'm clear...the unremarkable person who hates the exceptional is the stanford professor of mathematics that was the single biggest influence on an entire state's math curriculum?

Here...

so, anonymous complaint was made and a review of the complaint is ongoing

also, the framework she helped write didn't just eliminate alegbra II from the curriculum...it provided that a data science course could (not must) satisfy the same requirement

i realize that a lot of people see the word "woke" and their mind turns to mush, but this seems like some very in-depth academic-y stuff that i have a hard time believing you were really engaging with...considering you just copy and pasted a tweet about it

definitely something to get worked up about though

Reactions: Ree4
Though some of the specific allegations are new, the complainant’s conclusion — that Boaler has “engaged in reckless disregard for accuracy” throughout her career — won't be surprising to those familiar with her track record. Besides routinely misrepresenting citations for decades, Boaler also has a history of deceptively presenting her professional credentials, charging underperforming schools exorbitant consulting fees, and pushing to water-down public school courses while placing her own children in elite private schools.

Boaler first made a name for herself in the mid-2000s by advocating against “tracking” — a system designed to allow high-performing students to be appropriately challenged and underperforming students to receive appropriate support — and instead promoting “heterogeneous classes,” where students’ demonstrated math ability is ignored and all are taught the same content. For years, she’s had the ear of administrators and policy wonks eager to reform teaching practices in a state where over 65% of students aren’t meeting grade-level math standards.

A decade later, her research advocating for delaying instruction of Algebra I until 9th grade underpinned the San Francisco Unified School District’s 2014 decision to stop teaching the course in middle school. (SFUSD will reinstate the course for middle schoolers in the upcoming 2024-25 school year, following years of criticism and lawsuits from parents.) She was one of just five authors responsible for drafting the original CMF in 2021 — the final version of which was approved by the state’s education board in July — and participated in the first and second of four revisions to the framework. She also runs an education nonprofit, youcubed, that creates mathematics course materials it claims have “impacted” over 400 million students.

A landmark study of the algebra delay Boaler pushed on SFUSD in the name of helping “students from underserved communities” found the policy disadvantaged high-achieving students and did little to help those already struggling. Specifically, the authors found that “large ethnoracial [enrollment] gaps” in both AP and advanced math courses “did not change” after Boaler's reforms, while overall enrollment in AP Calculus — which requires a strong foundation in algebra — initially fell sharply. Subsequent reforms allowing students to enroll in summer Geometry and Algebra II/Pre-Calculus courses attenuated this drop, but did nothing to alter the persistent disparities in black and Hispanic enrollment in AP math, which was the supposed point of Boaler's reforms.

Fortunately for Boaler, her children are unaffected by this bad policy; instead of sending them to local public schools, she enrolled them in a $48,000-a-year private school that, according to publicly available course material, offers Algebra I to all its middle schoolers. And though Boaler writes often of her desire to bridge “indefensible racial and social inequities” in math performance, she charged an underfunded minority school district $5,000 an hour for consulting services that included seven sessions for a total fee of $65,000. (When Jelani Nelson, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, tweeted about her exorbitant consulting fees, Boaler responded that his “sharing of private details” was “being taken up by police and lawyers.”)

• Angry
Reactions: hawkosx
so, anonymous complaint was made and a review of the complaint is ongoing

also, the framework she helped write didn't just eliminate alegbra II from the curriculum...it provided that a data science course could (not must) satisfy the same requirement

i realize that a lot of people see the word "woke" and their mind turns to mush, but this seems like some very in-depth academic-y stuff that i have a hard time believing you were really engaging with...considering you just copy and pasted a tweet about it

definitely something to get worked up about though
You seem far to willing to glance over the fact she lied about shit to push her agenda.

And I thought my kids learned precalc in middle school, I guess I misremembered...

And I thought my kids learned precalc in middle school, I guess I misremembered...
There are advantages to not living in San Fran:

her research advocating for delaying instruction of Algebra I until 9th grade underpinned the San Francisco Unified School District’s 2014 decision to stop teaching the course in middle school. (SFUSD will reinstate the course for middle schoolers in the upcoming 2024-25 school year, following years of criticism and lawsuits from parents.)

There are advantages to not living in San Fran:

her research advocating for delaying instruction of Algebra I until 9th grade underpinned the San Francisco Unified School District’s 2014 decision to stop teaching the course in middle school. (SFUSD will reinstate the course for middle schoolers in the upcoming 2024-25 school year, following years of criticism and lawsuits from parents.)
So..a local school district did something dumb? Got it.
The city adjacent to me filled their board with mom's for <s>blowjobs</s> liberty
Glad my kids didn't go there either.

A hypocrite AND a fraud.

These people are certifiably mentally ill. It would be fascinating to figure out why and how they become like this.

So..a local school district did something dumb? Got it.
The city adjacent to me filled their board with mom's for <s>blowjobs</s> liberty
Glad my kids didn't go there either.

Terrible system to leave the education of our kids to the whims of voters instead of directed by the actual people consuming the service.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT