HR All-State
Jun 21, 2004
You woke up when?
You woke up too late for work!
My alarm clock woke me up.
You woke up from a nightmare.
I woke up and had coffee.

And of course:
I woke from unconsciousness two hours after someone punched me for not understanding what “woke” means.

Can someone ENLIGHTEN or EDUCATE me, and help me UNDERSTAND what this brand new word “woke” means and why it’s needed?

You woke up when?

And of course:
I woke from unconsciousness two hours after someone punched me for not understanding what “woke” means.

Can someone ENLIGHTEN or EDUCATE me, and help me UNDERSTAND what this brand new word “woke” means and why it’s needed?

It means a small group of people get to define an exclusive paradigm of enlightenment. I suspect it's a regurgitated version of dropping acid in the 1960s with all the many esoteric countercultural movements it dawns and inspires.

It's fairly cyclical. Groovy yesterday, woke today.

It means a small group of people get to define an exclusive paradigm of enlightenment. I suspect it's a regurgitated version of dropping acid in the 1960s with all the many esoteric countercultural movements it dawns and inspires.
It's fairly cyclical. Groovy yesterday, woke today.

First real answer, and thank you. Overall I’m guessing you are correct. Considering that it is such an important topic to the BLM movement, probably would have been more effective to use an established and existing word so people can be less “ ignorant” about it.

You woke up when?

And of course:

This is horrible poetry. At least I think it’s a poem.

I never heard of the term until less than a year ago. IMO it’s PC to the extreme where any dissenting opinion is crushed.

First real answer, and thank you. Overall I’m guessing you are correct. Considering that it is such an important topic to the BLM movement, probably would have been more effective to use an established and existing word so people can be less “ ignorant” about it.

Groovy and woke are not even close to the same thing.

Willful ignorance is willful.
giphy.gif

Groovy and woke are not even close to the same thing.

Well, in my defense, synonymous parallelism was not my aim. ;)

The point is most generations come up with unique words or catchphrases to promote the idea of something being cool or hip. I understand "enlightenment" was not necessarily germane to the use of "groovy," but it certainly was an integral part of young people's vernacular back then intended to separate themselves from the less..."woke" establishment folks. My generation used "tight," even though there were no relevant counterculture movements at the time (unless you count piercings, tattoos, and hair dye).

The greater point is this is cyclical.

ADVERTISEMENT