ADVERTISEMENT

Woman charged after 1,000 pigs found dead at Iowa site

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An Iowa woman is facing criminal charges after more than 1,000 pigs were found dead on a property.

KCCI-TV reports that the Sac County Sheriff's Office responded to a call Thursday and found the animals dead at two confinement sites. Authorities said Elana Laber, 33, was responsible for maintaining the sites.

The sheriff's office said the pigs had been dead for at least a week and had no access to food or water.

Advertisement

Laber is charged with two counts of first-degree criminal mischief and two counts of livestock neglect.

Sac City is about 49 miles east of Sioux City.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
That's messed up.

Food shortages looming and needlessly inflicting such pain and suffering on the piggies.

Another source said estimated loss was only $150,000. Otoh, I don't know the first thing about livestock markets, but less than $150 per pig? How much pork would a market-ready hog yield? Of course, don't know how much finishing they required either.

I've met her before and I've played cards with her husband. A friend of mine from Early is close friends with them and said they both are extremely broken hearted. They are both animal lovers and own a farm with many horses. This is a weird story.

I've met her before and I've played cards with her husband. A friend of mine from Early is close friends with them and said they both are extremely broken hearted. They are both animal lovers and own a farm with many horses. This is a weird story.
Animal lovers left pigs without access to food and water for over a week?

marcia-sure-jan.gif

Animal lovers left pigs without access to food and water for over a week?

marcia-sure-jan.gif
That's why it's weird. I have read that the people that own the buildings don't take care of them. There are times when the electricity was not working and a building that had the roof caved in and still held pigs. I don't know how it makes sense.

I find that very difficult to believe.

Reactions: win4jj
That's why it's weird. I have read that the people that own the buildings don't take care of them. There are times when the electricity was not working and a building that had the roof caved in and still held pigs. I don't know how it makes sense.
So is this lady the owner of the barns and had hired someone else to take care of the pigs or was someone else hiring her to take care of their barns? The vast majority of hog barns, the owners don’t have anything to do with the actual day to day work. Basically an investment for them. So if she owned the barns and had someone hired to chore them and that person decided one day to up and quit without letting anyone know i can see how this would potentially happen.

Well…nobody checked on the animals for over a week.
Most confinements have at least a daily on site check in if not more.

When homeowners contract with a management company, it’s usually a big, well run business. A relative managed a region of confinements, and he would even make the rounds each week.

So is this lady the owner of the barns and had hired someone else to take care of the pigs or was someone else hiring her to take care of their barns? The vast majority of hog barns, the owners don’t have anything to do with the actual day to day work. Basically an investment for them. So if she owned the barns and had someone hired to chore them and that person decided one day to up and quit without letting anyone know i can see how this would potentially happen.
I'm pretty sure one entity owns the hogs and a different entity owns the buildings. Elana was hired to run things. Idk if she was unqualified or what happened.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
I know. Much easier to believe the pissed off people online that have no clue whatsoever. 🙃

Or the one guy who played cards with the husband and knows someone who knows them. GTFO. Defend them all you want and blame her employers but she clearly doesn't "love" the animals as much as you're portraying

Grew up in Early. What's your friends first name?

I'm pretty sure one entity owns the hogs and a different entity owns the buildings. Elana was hired to run things. Idk if she was unqualified or what happened.
Yeah that would make sense. Seems like we aren’t getting the whole story as to what happened though.

Grew up in Early. What's your friends first name?
He's quite a bit younger than I am. He's 26 I think, but he's been in early his whole life. His name is J. C.. Not Jesus Christ though. Lol

Or the one guy who played cards with the husband and knows someone who knows them. GTFO. Defend them all you want and blame her employers but she clearly doesn't "love" the animals as much as you're portraying
You're probably right. All the people that are pissed off by a headline surely know better.

Woman made a mistake or was flat negligent and is charged. Seems appropriate.

I recall an animal neglect case years ago (dogs and horses) where the responsible individual got a year in jail.

Hearing she possibly had quit the job without telling her employer. So the employer was in the dark. It’s certainly not a crime to quit a job and not tell the manager; just walking out or stop showing up is not a crime.

Regardless if that is true or not, it probably isn’t. But if it was true, is that really a criminal act? What professions cross the line of criminality if one does a no call no show?

Reactions: DooBii
Hearing she possibly had quit the job without telling her employer. So the employer was in the dark. It’s certainly not a crime to quit a job and not tell the manager; just walking out or stop showing up is not a crime.

Regardless if that is true or not, it probably isn’t. But if it was true, is that really a criminal act? What professions cross the line of criminality if one does a no call no show?
Still having a hard time thinking this woman is an "animal lover" if she quit her job and didn't tell anyone so they could do her job of tending to the animals she loved. Every time my family goes on vacation and I drop off our pets at the boarder, I have to triple check they have everything they need before I leave the house, the car, and the boarder.

3ERSY3M5ZVELLIV726JP75UWHM.jpg

A little more info from a local station:

Laber was arrested Thursday after the sheriff’s office received reports of dead pigs at two confinement sites along Otter Avenue, located several miles northwest of Sac City. When deputies investigated the sites, they discovered the power had been turned off at both sites and the pigs were dead and decomposing.

During the investigation, law enforcement determined Laber was in charge of maintaining the facilities. According to the sheriff’s office, Laber first claimed someone had shut off the breakers that control the electricity the night before, June 29, which caused the pigs to die. A veterinarian later determined the pigs had been dead for at least a week.

Laber later told law enforcement she knew the pigs had been dead for a week but did not know what to do. Authorities say the pigs were in different stages of decomposition and did not have access to feed or water.

The pigs were owned by Corey AGR Inc. from Lytton, Iowa. The estimated loss is more than $150,000.

Laber was booked into the Sac County Jail on a $22,000 cash bon

• Angry
Reactions: Cougar63

Laber was arrested Thursday after the sheriff’s office received reports of dead pigs at two confinement sites along Otter Avenue, located several miles northwest of Sac City. When deputies investigated the sites, they discovered the power had been turned off at both sites and the pigs were dead and decomposing.

During the investigation, law enforcement determined Laber was in charge of maintaining the facilities. According to the sheriff’s office, Laber first claimed someone had shut off the breakers that control the electricity the night before, June 29, which caused the pigs to die. A veterinarian later determined the pigs had been dead for at least a week.

Laber later told law enforcement she knew the pigs had been dead for a week but did not know what to do. Authorities say the pigs were in different stages of decomposition and did not have access to feed or water.

The pigs were owned by Corey AGR Inc. from Lytton, Iowa. The estimated loss is more than $150,000.

"Animal lover"

I thought for sure this was bumped today because of this thread.

If nothing else, it sounds like she's a bad liar and probably not very smart... From what Kee has said previously, the building owner may not be out of the woods here either.

She methed up. Cut her some slack.

ADVERTISEMENT