ADVERTISEMENT

Woman shoots and kills 2 of 3 suspected carjackers.

I don’t think death is an appropriate punishment but do believe that we as a society have gotten way too tolerant of theft.

From Sam Bankman-Fried to car thefts to the coordinated retail thefts to porch pirates and everything else in between….nobody fears the consequences. Its BS.
Nothing has changed except maybe the amount of fear that the average person lets dictate their belief structure.

• Wow
Reactions: ICHerky
Why do people think a possession, a thing, is worth killing someone over? I mean, if they were in the act of stealing it and she felt they might kill her, ok. But after the fact? That's just murder
It makes sense what you’re saying, but I’m assuming that woman is below the poverty line. Possessions are very very important to people who live that way. At least that is what we were told in multiple trainings through my career.

Reactions: EagleHawk
My bank acct and retirement fund are worth more than a Kia. Additionally, the punishment for stealing a vehicle, being in possession of a stolen vehicle or just being in a stolen vehicle is not a death sentence. This is straight up murder.

Straight up justice

I know most are just trolling here but for those who aren't: So for any type of theft, regardless of value (may not even be be monetary), death is justifiable, correct?

First, she is wrong to murder them. It's just a damn Kia lady.
Second, they put themselves in the situation so I don't have a ton of sympathy for them if they were all indeed involved in the theft. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Weird thread. Those ok with her killing them are getting shredded by some people who said no big loss when people who didn't wear masks died from Covid.

Obviously, killing them is going to land her in prison and by law deservedly so. I personally have zero sympathy for the victims as thieves are scumbags.

Kia/ Hyundai need to fix this situation. You should be able to bring you car in and have it rigged with a bomb that you can trigger with your door fob in the case it gets stolen. That way no one has to get shot or waste bullets.

Yes, they located it on the interstate and engaged in a pursuit. It went through four jurisdictions before they pulled out for safety reasons (that's what she said).

Metro Nashville police recovered it two weeks later. When they turned the vehicle over to me it contained all kinds of stolen goods - four laptops, tools, personal information, etc. It was totally trashed to the point that my insurance company totaled it.

BasicCornyAmbushbug-max-1mb.gif

Poor people's problems are gross and messy.

If someone steals something you value, you have a one on one conversation with the head of your security team, who then assigns it to his people, who make the issue disappear. This provides plausible deniability, your property is recovered and you are not on the news or suspected.

I feel zero sympathy for sociopathic criminals whose actions adversely impact, and in some cases, ruin multiple lives. The real tragedy of this story is that the third felon did not die.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I’m not sure immediate death sentence is required. But, how about a compromise. Let’s just get medieval and start cutting off hands in the town square for everyone to see.

Fair?

Weird thread. Those ok with her killing them are getting shredded by some people who said no big loss when people who didn't wear masks died from Covid.

Obviously, killing them is going to land her in prison and by law deservedly so. I personally have zero sympathy for the victims as thieves are scumbags.

I think it is possible to not have a huge amount of sympathy for the car jackets while at the same time not be ok with how she handled things and believe she deserves prison for what she did.

It's not like I am sad thinking a couple of car jackers died. But at the same time I also don't want everyone who feels they have been wronged going out and taking justice into their own hands.

I mean if we get into that then I have to ask what level of crimes do we decide that it's ok to take your own lethal vengeance and what crimes that is no longer ok. I mean can someone step outside with their scattergun and start shooting cause those damn kids won't get off his lawn?

To me it's not about sympathy, it's about order and defending the concept that the legal system is how we pursue justice. Legal system isn't perfect but a hell of a lot better than vengeance, vigilantes, and blood feuds.

That's not justice. Justice is them being arrested, charged, sentenced and serving 10 for grand theft. Stealing a car is not worthy of a death sentence, that's nothing more than murder.
That assumes the state can and well provide justice. Through out much of human history thieves got what they got and that's just how it was.

I agree that the punishment here didn't fit the crime -- and that I generally like what the state holds justice to be. (people aren't going to be in agreement though... see this thread. So state has to do a good job or else you'll get more of this)

Appropriate and legal aren't always the same.

I think a lot of people are over-valuing the lives of criminals. I put their value right at zero.
I agree but if it is something you would go to prison for then it isn’t appropriate.

Do you feel grand theft auto warrants the death penalty? What if these people weren’t the ones that stole the vehicle?

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Why do people think a possession, a thing, is worth killing someone over? I mean, if they were in the act of stealing it and she felt they might kill her, ok. But after the fact? That's just murder
And nothing of value was lost...

Seems fact and state law dependent

She has a right to reclaim her property, whether she called the police or not. Was she threatened? I'm assuming that Missouri has some kind of wild west approach to standing your ground.

Regardless, we're going on years of law enforcement and states attorneys offices not even doing the bare minimum across the country to reduce or prosecute property theft in any form.

Then you have this societal parasite in TikTok. ffs.

We all know what the response on here would be if some midwestern micropeen hunted down the people that stole his pickup truck from some challenge they saw on overweightfarmersonly.com

I agree but if it is something you would go to prison for then it isn’t appropriate.

Do you feel grand theft auto warrants the death penalty? What if these people weren’t the ones that stole the vehicle?
"Do you feel grand theft auto warrants the death penalty?"

Yes, absolutely.

"What if these people weren’t the ones that stole the vehicle?"

Then that's murder and she should get the death penalty.

Yes, absolutely.

We can’t take these things into our own hands.

That assumes the state can and well provide justice. Through out much of human history thieves got what they got and that's just how it was.

I agree that the punishment here didn't fit the crime -- and that I generally like what the state holds justice to be. (people aren't going to be in agreement though... see this thread. So state has to do a good job or else you'll get more of this)

No system is perfect and ours is not. But is it better than vigilantes, vengeance, and blood feuds.

I kind of think our system is better than the Hatfield and McCoy's. Because that is essentially the alternative this woman pursued.

Tell that to Biden and Obama, who both did and have ruled by Presidential Fiat.

All Presidents have been pushing the boundaries of executive orders for a very long time now. Trump and Bush Jr did as well. Remember how Trump declared an emergency to get his wall built?

One of the problems with our system is that congress is so dysfunctional that it relies upon the president and the SCOTUS to decide many of our most difficult issues.

Yes, absolutely.

Normally like your posts, but you are way off on this one. Stealing property does not give the right to shoot them in summary education.

We are well past the wild west. Now she has put herself in criminal and civil liability. Let the LEO take care of the situation.

So many people coming to the defense of car thieves. Weird times.

No one is defending car thieves, we want them arrested, tried, convicted and put in prison.

What I don't want is people who feel they have been wronged going off and pursuing their own brand of justice.

We have a legal system for a reason and while it's not perfect it's better than people appointing themselves judge, jury and executioner.

If what she did is ok, do I get to shoot those damn kids who won't get off my lawn??

ADVERTISEMENT