ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s wrestling moves toward NCAA championship status

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Too bad they get split into divisions this early in the process. How many Div 1 women's wrestling teams are there? Not many. Always feels good to be the BIG DOG in the bigger arena.

Besides, colleges like Life and North Central have really strong teams right now. Iron sharpens iron.
Frankly, I'd like to see the Hawk team wrestle the Japanese National Team at Carver-Hawkeye someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and sdvike
Too bad they get split into divisions this early in the process. How many Div 1 women's wrestling teams are there? Not many. Always feels good to be the BIG DOG in the bigger arena.

Besides, colleges like Life and North Central have really strong teams right now. Iron sharpens iron.
Frankly, I'd like to see the Hawk team wrestle the Japanese National Team at Carver-Hawkeye someday.

All NCAA Divisions would still compete for the one title just like they do now, it'll just be offically under the NCAA auspices instead of the NWCA that puts on the NCWWC at present. The whole requirement of getting NCAA status was getting enough NCAA teams to have programs, regardless of their Division. I have a hard time seeing D1 ever reaching 30 teams itself to have a separate title, but never say never.

Life is an NAIA school, which already has it's own sanctioned title tournament.

All NCAA Divisions would still compete for the one title just like they do now, it'll just be offically under the NCAA auspices instead of the NWCA that puts on the NCWWC at present. The whole requirement of getting NCAA status was getting enough NCAA teams to have programs, regardless of their Division. I have a hard time seeing D1 ever reaching 30 teams itself to have a separate title, but never say never.

Life is an NAIA school, which already has it's own sanctioned title tournament.
Thanks for clarifying. I doubt that there will be 30 women's wrestling teams in D1 in my lifetime as well.
Do D2 (9 schollies) and D3 (0 schollies) scholarship limits will apply to those d2 & D3 schools with women's wrestling? If so, that would give D1 schools greater advantage over time.

Yes, I knew that Life is an NAIA school, but I hope they keep wrestling the Hawks as long as they have such a strong team. Iron sharpens iron.

Reactions: sdvike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT