ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer Defeats DePaul in Opener 2-1

Way to get this thread going! Might as well make this a season thread. Iowa starts the regular season off by beating DePaul on the road, 2-1. Two new Iowa forwards scored the goals: Freshman Kenzi Roling from Waverly-Shell Rock (one of the highest sought after women’s soccer recruits in Iowa HS history) and grad transfer Alyssa Walker from Richmond. Roling tore it up in preseason. She could go down as one of the all-time greats at Iowa.

Reactions: BDJHawk and SLarew
Man, I feel like the Big Ten is just constantly underrated for women's soccer. Got totally screwed with the seedings in the tournament and we almost upset UCLA. Great start for the Hawks!

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Home opener is the first game of the Cy-Hawk Series tonight, and the champs are the first game of the season on Big Ten Network. Kenzie Roling was B1G Freshman of the Week (get used to it?), while Sara Wheaton was the B1G Defender of the Week...

I just checked the schedule. not a single game on BTN+? I was going to renew the BTN+ subscription for the fall to pick up some Iowa games, field hockey, volleyball, but no soccer at all?

I just checked the schedule. not a single game on BTN+? I was going to renew the BTN+ subscription for the fall to pick up some Iowa games, field hockey, volleyball, but no soccer at all?
Weird. Haven’t seen that.

BTW, Iowa loses yet again to the Jayhawks at Kansas, 1-0. This time the regular season and in OT.

I think(hope) it is just a mistake on the Hawkeye schedule. I am currently subscribed to BTN+, and their site lists the next four home games as on BTN+. Their schedule doesn't go beyond that.

Reactions: UpstreamHawkeye
Beat the Purdue-Fort Wayne Mastodons 5-0. It was on BTN+, although announcer-less.

The Roos announcer says that 12 Hawkeyes are unavailable tonight due to injury OR suspension. Rolling didn't start; no other glaring absences.

The Roos announcer says that 12 Hawkeyes are unavailable tonight due to injury OR suspension. Rolling didn't start; no other glaring absences.
Well, our B1G Outstanding Offensive Player of the Tournament (Ingles) AND our B1G Defensive Player of the Tournament (Enneking) have both not played a game yet this season. I know it’s on record that Enneking is injured, but no idea about Ingles. I know they both played club summer ball so injury from that isn’t out of the question.

12 players injured or suspended? Well then:

Ah, Kansas City
Going to get my baby one time
Yeah, yeah
I'm gonna Kansas City
Going to get my baby one time
Ah, yeah, yeah
It's just a one, two, three, four
Five, six, seven, eight, nine

:)

Some updates:

-2020 Big Ten All-Tournament team member Samantha Tawharu gets a New Zealand national team call-up to face Olympic gold medalists Canada on their victory tour:

-Both Freshman All-American Meike Ingles, and B1G Freshman of the Year Macy Enneking, have finally come back into the lineup as Sophomores this week.

-Iowa posts the biggest comeback in program history, and it is vs Nebby...

This Sunday is Senior Day vs. Illinois at the Iowa Soccer Complex. Some pretty major players in last year's B1G title will be honored: Tawharu, Durr, Rydberg, Wheaton, and Hellweg.

Hawkeyes defeat MSU 1-0 in the BTT. Advance to the semis and likely will play #1 seed Rutgers at Rutgers.
Time to defeat another Top 6 in the nation, undefeated in conference, school in the B1G Tournament semis (after #4 PSU last season).

Also, 8th seeded Iowa State nearly eliminated Big XII top seed (8th ranked nationally) TCU in their conference tournament. Lost in penalty kicks on the last shot.

Last edited:
Iowa can’t repeat defeating a #4 nationallly ranked B1G semifinal opponent this year. This was essentially a play-in game that would have put us in. Instead, the bubble we are on likely pops on the Sunday selection show.

The NCAA women's soccer tournament bracket was announced on Monday. 6 Big Ten teams made it, but not Iowa. Wisconsin almost didn't make the Big Ten tournament but they are in the NCAA. Had Iowa beat them instead of getting a draw in Madison perhaps it would have been Iowa in the NCAA instead.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The NCAA women's soccer tournament bracket was announced on Monday. 6 Big Ten teams made it, but not Iowa. Wisconsin almost didn't make the Big Ten tournament but they are in the NCAA. Had Iowa beat them instead of getting a draw in Madison perhaps it would have been Iowa in the NCAA instead.

Wisconsin was a controversial omission by the committee last year. They were in the same spot in the standings as us this year, and upset Rutgers in the semis only to lose to us in the championship. What hurt them last year and us this year was overall weak non-conference opponents. Not always something you can control, unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT