ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward on "60 Minutes"...

Dude you ignore what is clearly the issue. Hear me out.

Not one Trump supporter I know likes Trump as a person. Not one. Liberals can’t see why anyone would stay in his camp after all this. They think that Trump supporters are blindly allegiant. A cult. This is a poor read on the room. Go figure.

The fact is that almost all the Trump supporters I know are united in their support of him by a few things. And this is the real issue, that until you understand, will flummox you over and over.

We understand we are sacrificing ‘pride in our leader’. We also know that in a few months, if not 4 more years, things will return to normal for conservatives. So this sacrifice isn’t necessarily long term. We aren’t now the party of Trump. Assertions to the contrary be damned.

The fact is this:
1- We have long been frustrated by the backbone of our Republican congressional reps. They talk the talk but cave over and over. The are principled but lack resolve. They fear the way the press will paint them. They are losers. As in always lose.
2- We know that while we sacrifice a few things now, to allow a dem to win we may sacrifice for a generation or longer if they pass their pet giveaway programs that, once started, never end. This cannot be allowed to happen.
3- Many of us believe we are the greatest country to ever exist and Trump embodies that belief. Dem alternatives focus on being ashamed and guilty for being American. Not acceptable. We love our country and that fact isn’t a reason to be ashamed.

The bottom line is this..... We cant stand liberalism and the direction you intend to take the country. We can’t stand weak kneed big talkers in our party that constantly get bested in the PR war by dems. Reps that give in over and over. (See the shutdown battles as an example) Trump doesn’t give a fuq. He’s gives a big middle finger to the press to the party elites and that is as satisfying as anything. While he has a lot of policy provisions I like, it isn’t simply that. So if you want to know why we were driven to elect a guy like him look inside yourselves. You are yourselves culpable. You have gone over the edge in more ways than he has done so in a decorum sense. Too put it another way....if your party wasn’t so damn crazy left you’d give us options that were better than Trump. But because you are now the party of Bernie, of the Squad, of free stuff, of America loathing, of ‘some people did some stuff to something’, of pitting race against race, and of chaos and lawlessness......we have no choice. For it is you that have created this.

Until your party returns to the Democrat party of old, you have forced us to debase ourselves by choosing to elect a man with so many obvious flaws to keep your party out of power and our party to understand that you don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.

So this all led to Trump. So by definition we are no cult or party guilty of blind allegiance. The past led to Trump. We weren’t led here by him.
As you admit you debase yourselves to retain power.

And that’s the issue. By debasing yourselves you have elected a man who debases all of us. And weakens the country you profess to love.

Just once I want to hear a Republican say, “you know what, my bad we were wrong.” It’s always somebody else’s fault. You may not like the system but if you see Trump is a pos and you love your country like you claim, you should be running over each other to vote for Biden in Nov.
Can’t you read? There is zero chance I vote for Biden. There used to be a decent chance this summer. Honestly there did. Ask other posters I’ve engaged with. But after the riots this summer and the clear picture that developed that you and Biden are in bed with the anarchists and do not voice your support for all the really good hardworking cops out there I’m done with a you and your party. I’m against cops killing innocents. I’m against racism in all forms.

Trump maybe a jackass, narcissistic, misogynistic, buffoon most of the time but he isnt a racist. He also isn’t out there tearing down all that this county represents and the standing by watching the fires that your side has set both figuratively and literally. So ill put the blame wherever I goddamn feel like it thank you very much. And you know what? We weren’t wrong. Your side has gone full batshit crazy. And I sure as hell am glad we didn’t elect Hillary.

Now if your side says, oh well, we will govern from the center. All this stuff is at the periphery of our party. Well then you are just as badly behaved as Trump as you’ve sat idly by and let all this stuff happen purely in the hopes of getting elected. And that isn’t one bit better than all you say you rail against. Because I happen to think all this embarrassment you claim you have for Trump is really just embarrassment that this country elected someone that doesn’t share your elitist social Democrat ideals. That’s the real story. Not his behavior. That’s just the club you wield.

MClo3Ln.png
big-bird-sesame-street-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other.gif

As you admit you debase yourselves to retain power.

And that’s the issue. By debasing yourselves you have elected a man who debases all of us. And weakens the country you profess to love.
No he doesn’t weaken the country. Not at all. We disagree.

Your party’s behavior, tacit (hell, frank) acceptance of violence as a means to power and far left political plank is what debases America and we stand in the way of that.

• Haha
Reactions: naturalmwa
Once they knew the characteristics and knew it was in the US, there was no point in trying to stop it. For all the people who were screaming about exponential growth for several weeks, they were ignoring the fact that we were far past the point of stopping it. Trumps public approach had zero material impact on the spread of the virus. In fact, it may have been a benefit as it spread faster.
You’ve officially lost it. Wow.

How far will Trumpanzees go in denying what their President said regarding "the virus"? I am curious.....I mean, Woodward has it on tape.....tape that my President was well aware of....and it shows just how weak and ill-prepared for the Presidency Trump is...But I am sure it makes no difference to his folks here....those who are Trumpanzees and those who are Russian bots.
I find this Woodward/Trump tape interview quite interesting. No wonder Trump said the book (full of Trump's own quotes) was fake!
Please tell me what he was hiding that thousands didn't already know?

I have believed this since February. Common sense should tell you that anything with a two week asymptomatic period combined with not being able to shut down travel from China early enough was not going to be stopped regardless of the measures.

Of course any rational thinking person would know this was a serious health threat but we are talking about Trump supporters here. You need to explain it in crayon.

Trumpets blindly follow anything he and Faux news spit out, thus their initial mishandling of this virus publicly has put our country in the position we're still in. How can't you see that?

Of course any rational thinking person would know this was a serious health threat but we are talking about Trump supporters here. You need to explain it in crayon.

Trumpets blindly follow anything he and Faux news spit out, thus their initial mishandling of this virus publicly has put our country in the position we're still in. How can't you see that?

I think that a far, far smaller percentage of the country follows trumps lead or even listens to him than you think. Just like it’s not half the country that have TDS or extreme liberal views. It’s the extreme minority that are the most vocal because they’ve chosen to make partisan politics their passion in life. It’s absurd that the most divisive, least open minded people get the bulk of the attention. The real world is not reflected in the mainstream media or social media.

Nearly every Trump voter I know wears a mask, believes in some- if not several- core tenets of the progressive platform, and is often left amazed at what the president says in public. There are way more of these people than the people you are bitching about. But, you can’t see this, so you have little hope of winning their vote.

Presidential lies don't bother you? Presidential failures are no big deal to you?
You must work in a Human Resources job....
[/QUOTE
"A man who would never tell the truth when a lie would serve him just as well", General MacArthur said that about FDR. All Presidents lie during times of National Emergency. They pump up the situation to make it seem better, to keep people positive. What Trump did nothing more than what other presidents have done and would do. Woodward has always been a shill for the democrats.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Not one Trump supporter I know likes Trump as a person. Not one. Liberals can’t see why anyone would stay in his camp after all this. They think that Trump supporters are blindly allegiant. A cult. This is a poor read on the room. Go figure.

The fact is that almost all the Trump supporters I know are united in their support of him by a few things. And this is the real issue, that until you understand, will flummox you over and over.

We understand we are sacrificing ‘pride in our leader’. We also know that in a few months, if not 4 more years, things will return to normal for conservatives. So this sacrifice isn’t necessarily long term. We aren’t now the party of Trump. Assertions to the contrary be damned.

The fact is this:
1- We have long been frustrated by the backbone of our Republican congressional reps. They talk the talk but cave over and over. The are principled but lack resolve. They fear the way the press will paint them. They are losers. As in always lose.
2- We know that while we sacrifice a few things now, to allow a dem to win we may sacrifice for a generation or longer if they pass their pet giveaway programs that, once started, never end. This cannot be allowed to happen.
3- Many of us believe we are the greatest country to ever exist and Trump embodies that belief. Dem alternatives focus on being ashamed and guilty for being American. Not acceptable. We love our country and that fact isn’t a reason to be ashamed.

The bottom line is this..... We cant stand liberalism and the direction you intend to take the country. We can’t stand weak kneed big talkers in our party that constantly get bested in the PR war by dems. Reps that give in over and over. (See the shutdown battles as an example) Trump doesn’t give a fuq. He’s gives a big middle finger to the press to the party elites and that is as satisfying as anything. While he has a lot of policy provisions I like, it isn’t simply that. So if you want to know why we were driven to elect a guy like him look inside yourselves. You are yourselves culpable. You have gone over the edge in more ways than he has done so in a decorum sense. Too put it another way....if your party wasn’t so damn crazy left you’d give us options that were better than Trump. But because you are now the party of Bernie, of the Squad, of free stuff, of America loathing, of ‘some people did some stuff to something’, of pitting race against race, and of chaos and lawlessness......we have no choice. For it is you that have created this.

Until your party returns to the Democrat party of old, you have forced us to debase ourselves by choosing to elect a man with so many obvious flaws to keep your party out of power and our party to understand that you don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.

So this all led to Trump. So by definition we are no cult or party guilty of blind allegiance. The past led to Trump. We weren’t led here by him.

Whoa. For one, "Trump chump" is my term of endearment for the stereotypical Trump supporter. It's not all-encompassing. Also, it's just for fun.

As well-written and glamorous as that was, you are still saying the ends justify the means. And, let's be real, the GOP had plenty of choices besides Bone Spurs. Republicans own him.

I'm a registered Independent who was supporting a Republican in 2016 (John Kasich).

I have frequently warned the liberals on this board about their party leaders' divisive rhetoric and extreme liberal positions. The Dems listened, apparently, and rejected Bernie Sanders and nominated a moderate. Therefore, all Trump supporters, deplorable or not, are without excuse. I'd be careful. Trump gets elected again, and he very well might, 2024 really will be a "blue wave," and Republicans will miss out on getting someone they will actually publicly admit to liking in the White House.

I have believed this since February. Common sense should tell you that anything with a two week asymptomatic period combined with not being able to shut down travel from China early enough was not going to be stopped regardless of the measures.

I will assume, for the purposes of this post, that you are right and 200k+ would have died no matter what. Please explain then, why Trump lied and downplayed that Covid was going as bad as you are saying?

You really don't think Trump pushing states to reopen despite his own CDC's guidelines on how to do that were nowhere close to being met made things worse?

Reactions: Tom Paris
About 200,000 US families would agree with that statement. That number is going to grow everyday, too.
Look at the data, everyone that is admitted to the hospital that has Covid that dies, no matter what other disease they may have, is listed as a Covid death. This is ridiculous. They could be in the final stages of cancer, have a heart that is ready to explode, or lungs that are full of nicotine and tar. The data should be scrubbed as it is not accurate. Do the other countries of the world use the same methodology. We cannot be comparing rates if they do not. The USA uses a cycle rate of 40, does the rest of the world do the same?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Because people died from the virus. This is a stupid argument anyways, if you look at the variability around the mean number of US deaths each year. Where on the curve do you think 200k excess deaths lies? How many SD from the mean?

Also, there will be 100-150k fewer deaths than expected over the next few years. Why? Because actuarily speaking a lot of the deceased were going to die soon anyways.
You're simply in denial. 200K excess deaths is in addition to the statistically expected numbers of deaths based on the past 5 years. And 200K is on the low end of the estimates.

Educate yourself.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

• Love
Yeah this world needs more people who wake up every day and live for partisan politics. You are really making the world a better place. At least you likely have zero actual personal interaction, so your impact is limited to ****ing up one sports message board and probably reddit and Facebook.
Your defense here of the indefensible is the epitome of partisan politics.

I think a lot of it has to do with how good Republicans are at getting their message out there, blaming others (blm, antifa), and having everyone but into the “team” mentality, common sense be damned.

I think branding and getting their message out there is certainly one spot I think most will agree, Republicans just kick The Democrat’s ass in for whatever reason.
They have a lot of help from outside players.

The fact is this:

That's some Jim Jones level shit right there.

Who, right now, would you rather see at the lead of the Republican party?

I will assume, for the purposes of this post, that you are right and 200k+ would have died no matter what. Please explain then, why Trump lied and downplayed that Covid was going as bad as you are saying?

You really don't think Trump pushing states to reopen despite his own CDC's guidelines on how to do that were nowhere close to being met made things worse?

As mentioned, it seems far more plausible that they had solid enough intel on the severity of the virus from overseas. I don’t really listen to much of what Trump says, but I don’t think he wanted more Americans dead than necessary, and I do think he was trying to prevent panic for various reasons.

You're simply in denial. 200K excess deaths is in addition to the statistically expected numbers of deaths based on the past 5 years. And 200K is on the low end of the estimates.

Educate yourself.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

The beauty of stats is that you don’t need to be an expert in a specific field to apply its tools and theories.

Professional, unbiased statisticians have far more accurately projected the outcomes of this pandemic than supposed medical experts.

Too put it another way....if your party wasn’t so damn crazy left you’d give us options that were better than Trump. But because you are now the party of Bernie, of the Squad, of free stuff, of America loathing, of ‘some people did some stuff to something’, of pitting race against race, and of chaos and lawlessness......we have no choice. For it is you that have created this.

I am an unaffiliated voter, but I feel compelled to respond to this. How is the Democratic party "now the party of Bernie [and] of the Squad"? Last time I checked, the Democrats rejected Bernie (and indirectly the Squad) in the primaries, and instead chose a middle-of-the-road, traditional, longtime Democrat--someone whom mainstream Republicans previously have characterized as a good man. How did that selection leave you no choice but to debase yourself by voting for Trump?

What I see is folks on the far right using Bernie and the Squad as boogeypersons to scare the more centrist members of the Republican party--particularly older folks. They also use the ongoing protests in a few cities to stir up the same folks. I have multiple relatives who are completely obsessed with Portland on Facebook, when they have never visited the city and, frankly, probably couldn't identify it on a map.

Can’t you read? There is zero chance I vote for Biden. There used to be a decent chance this summer. Honestly there did. Ask other posters I’ve engaged with. But after the riots this summer and the clear picture that developed that you and Biden are in bed with the anarchists and do not voice your support for all the really good hardworking cops out there I’m done with a you and your party. I’m against cops killing innocents. I’m against racism in all forms.

Trump maybe a jackass, narcissistic, misogynistic, buffoon most of the time but he isnt a racist. He also isn’t out there tearing down all that this county represents and the standing by watching the fires that your side has set both figuratively and literally. So ill put the blame wherever I goddamn feel like it thank you very much. And you know what? We weren’t wrong. Your side has gone full batshit crazy. And I sure as hell am glad we didn’t elect Hillary.

Now if your side says, oh well, we will govern from the center. All this stuff is at the periphery of our party. Well then you are just as badly behaved as Trump as you’ve sat idly by and let all this stuff happen purely in the hopes of getting elected. And that isn’t one bit better than all you say you rail against. Because I happen to think all this embarrassment you claim you have for Trump is really just embarrassment that this country elected someone that doesn’t share your elitist social Democrat ideals. That’s the real story. Not his behavior. That’s just the club you wield.
Sounds like a rant from 1964 during the protests that brought about the Voting Rights Act. Or the protests of the Viet Nam War. Or protests for Equal Rights for women. Or gay rights.

People stood up against things that were very wrong and some didn't like that much. It led to conflict and violence and, eventually, change. That's the way things are today. It will take time and there will be bloodshed because of the resistance to change and growth of our country. But it will happen.

• Love
Look at the data, everyone that is admitted to the hospital that has Covid that dies, no matter what other disease they may have, is listed as a Covid death. This is ridiculous. They could be in the final stages of cancer, have a heart that is ready to explode, or lungs that are full of nicotine and tar. The data should be scrubbed as it is not accurate. Do the other countries of the world use the same methodology. We cannot be comparing rates if they do not. The USA uses a cycle rate of 40, does the rest of the world do the same?
This is untrue, but even if it was, that doesn't explain why there are 200K+ excess deaths.

Reactions: JJ13579
As mentioned, it seems far more plausible that they had solid enough intel on the severity of the virus from overseas. I don’t really listen to much of what Trump says, but I don’t think he wanted more Americans dead than necessary, and I do think he was trying to prevent panic for various reasons.

But that doesn't wash because it doesn't stop him from trying to scare Americans about how bad a Biden presidency would be, or that American cities run by Democrats are bastions of lawlessness and anarchy. Trump is totally okay with scaring Americans when it suits him.

I really am trying to think of any other presidency where in the midst of a crisis, the president was outright lying to the American people.

I get trying to prevent panic - although as I stated he seems totally fine with panic in other areas. But you fight fear/panic with truth and knowledge. Especially if you're correct that this would have been this bad regardless of what Trump said, lying to us about how it would go away with the warmer weather, the normal flu was actually worse, etc...Americans aren't stupid (not THAT stupid anyway). When POTUS is telling us things aren't that bad, and meanwhile tens of thousands of people get diagnosed and/or die with every passing week, it's understandable then that many start to believe that things are actually worse than we're being told.

The unfortunate part of what you're saying in this thread could well be true. Think of how much better we'd be able to face things if our POTUS had been honest with us about that.

Then explain "Liberate Michigan". Explain not wearing a mask or pushing for mandates.

He didn't care about anything but getting the stock market back on track.

The beauty of stats is that you don’t need to be an expert in a specific field to apply its tools and theories.

Professional, unbiased statisticians have far more accurately projected the outcomes of this pandemic than supposed medical experts.
Your grasping. The numbers from the CDC are done by professional statisticians.

But that doesn't wash because it doesn't stop him from trying to scare Americans about how bad a Biden presidency would be, or that American cities run by Democrats are bastions of lawlessness and anarchy. Trump is totally okay with scaring Americans when it suits him.

I really am trying to think of any other presidency where in the midst of a crisis, the president was outright lying to the American people.

I get trying to prevent panic - although as I stated he seems totally fine with panic in other areas. But you fight fear/panic with truth and knowledge. Especially if you're correct that this would have been this bad regardless of what Trump said, lying to us about how it would go away with the warmer weather, the normal flu was actually worse, etc...Americans aren't stupid (not THAT stupid anyway). When POTUS is telling us things aren't that bad, and meanwhile tens of thousands of people get diagnosed and/or die with every passing week, it's understandable then that many start to believe that things are actually worse than we're being told.

The unfortunate part of what you're saying in this thread could well be true. Think of how much better we'd be able to face things if our POTUS had been honest with us about that.
And the division his lies have caused over such simple things as wearing a mask goes beyond the health issues and has fueled the conflicts that are so common now.

Even if you buy the line that Trump was trying not to panic the country - that decision was another terrible one of many he has made.

I don’t know what we should have done. No one does, and we didn’t have the luxury of waiting, due of the unknown and the desire to avoid public panic. Our intelligence obviously had good info on the relative nature of the virus, otherwise we would have restricted international travel much, much earlier. That has been proven correct in the outcomes as we look at hospitalizations and deaths over the past 6 months.
Are you saying you bought Trump's BS about not creating panic? Trump tries to create fear and panic on a regular.

Once they knew the characteristics and knew it was in the US, there was no point in trying to stop it. For all the people who were screaming about exponential growth for several weeks, they were ignoring the fact that we were far past the point of stopping it. Trumps public approach had zero material impact on the spread of the virus. In fact, it may have been a benefit as it spread faster.
I guess you go with nonsense like this when it's all you have.
Just out of curiosity, do you keep things from your customers because you don't want them to panic? How does that work out when they find out you are lying and risking their economic future?
If someone were lying to you how long would you keep them as a service provider?

Normally I stay out of politics, but given that there was plenty of precedent where certain statistical methods could be use to model the outcome of this pandemic, it caught my interest from the beginning.

I am an open minded individual, and I usually don’t take a stance without having thought it through. I have seen nothing that has convinced me that the total number of dead could have been meaningfully different unless we had somehow obtain more, specific info about the behavior of the virus. Masks and lockdowns changed the timing of things, they won’t materially affect the end result.

This event will be studied extensively for years, so we will see who ends up being correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT