ADVERTISEMENT

Workers at a Tallahassee coffee shop went on strike. The owner closed the shop permanently....

Go woke, go broke.

Such an uplifting story.
Sounds like they worked for a shitty owner and made some noise about it. They were planning on striking so should have been ready for lost wages, can also find plenty of service jobs whenever. Good for them, they got a shitty person out of their area.

If anyone is wondering, kava ain't worth it. It's somewhat expensive to get kava that's any good because it only grows in south Pacific islands currently. It wouldn't be expensive, but it has a reverse tolerance effect meaning you need to consistently consume the tea for a couple weeks sometimes before you notice effects. And if you are a raging drunk who's doing this during a period of abstinence from alcohol, you will give up after a couple of weeks of not noticing effects comparable to a fifth of grain alcohol. On that day you may decide to (against the advice of the internet) mix kava with alcohol and then you will not wake up until 1PM the next day with pangs and aches in all of your internal organs.

I guess the owner showed them, didnt he.
Based on how things were when I brought my kid back to school, every single restaurant in Tally was desperately seeking staff. It will take those former employees less than 5 minutes to find a job.

Seems like this is a loss for the owner. The workers will get better jobs soon.
Or he cut his losses instead of extending them:

The announcement made on social media Tuesday did not mention the strike and, instead, cites debt, rising costs and slowing business as the reasons for the closure.

Go woke, go broke.

Such an uplifting story.
The article says they were striking for higher wages but that "debt, rising costs and slowing business as the reasons for the closure."

then you say "go woke, go broke" THAT"S what you get out of this? That this is some "liberal arts college campus committee" preaching an end to racism having the reality of real world economics justly smash down on their heads all the while you siphon some sick perverted pleasure from the idea.

The article says they were striking for higher wages but that "debt, rising costs and slowing business as the reasons for the closure."

then you say "go woke, go broke" THAT"S what you get out of this? That this is some "liberal arts college campus committee" preaching an end to racism having the reality of real world economics justly smash down on their heads all the while you siphon some sick perverted pleasure from the idea.
The right has decided ‘woke’ means anything they don’t like.

You're ruining their objectivism boners.

If you can’t afford to pay your employees a fair wage, then that’s what you should do…admit your business is a failure and go do something else.

Justifying paying crap wages by saying businesses would close is just stupid. There are plenty of jobs and plenty of other coffee places, the good ones will thrive. That’s capitalism.

I guess the owner showed them, didnt he.
Based on how things were when I brought my kid back to school, every single restaurant in Tally was desperately seeking staff. It will take those former employees less than 5 minutes to find a job.
Or the customers showed him (by not showing up) and by extension the employees, that what they're doing isn't worth much.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Never heard of the place. That said, you start messing with Lucky Goat, I may riot.

Along with his PROFITS.
What profits?
You're assuming he cut off his nose to spite his face, instead of rationally concluding that increasing borrowing costs, labor costs, input costs and decreasing traffic preclude his hope for profits.

Reactions: goldmom
If you can’t afford to pay your employees a fair wage, then that’s what you should do…admit your business is a failure and go do something else.

Justifying paying crap wages by saying businesses would close is just stupid. There are plenty of jobs and plenty of other coffee places, the good ones will thrive. That’s capitalism.
This was my initial read on the situation too. It’s like knowing to fold a losing hand.

Sounds like business was already sucking. Acquiescing to employees demanding higher wages would only make matters worse. The best business decision here was to close up shop rather than throw good money after bad.

Reactions: goldmom
Unions are parasites that contribute nothing to business, and instead, they suck the life out of their victims. They can't offer a product or service that anyone actually wants, so they attempt to take over existing businesses and force everyone who works there to pay dues. It's a messed up model that should be illegal.

Unions are parasites that contribute nothing to business, and instead, they suck the life out of their victims. They can't offer a product or service that anyone actually wants, so they attempt to take over existing businesses and force everyone who works there to pay dues. It's a messed up model that should be illegal.

The king of shitty takes with another shitty take.

Sounds like assurances were made to employees that the owners couldn't deliver.

"We appreciate our employees and acknowledge that we have not delivered in many of the ways we had hoped. We feel we have let down the staff and our community."

It would be nice if - as they do in many European countries - labor had a seat at the table with access to the bottom line numbers. An owner who doesn't work with employees to maximize the business is either going to be perceived as a shitty boss or is going to shut down in today's labor market. Workers have options.

It's so funny watching the liberals circle the wagons on this subject.

Here's a dirty little secret for you: Unions are BIG BUSINESSES! And their business is to acquire more dues-paying members.

But somehow you anti-business people ignore that and romanticize unions destroying businesses that actually contribute to society.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It's so funny watching the liberals circle the wagons on this subject.

Here's a dirty little secret for you: Unions are BIG BUSINESSES! And their business is to acquire more dues-paying members.

But somehow you anti-business people ignore that and romanticize unions destroying businesses that actually contribute to society.

I'm not anti-business, I'm anti-exploitation. A business can make all the money in the world if they aren't exploiting their employees, customers, or the tax system and I wouldn't care. Unfortunately capitalism is built on exploitation so that is why we need Unions to intervene and stand up for the work force

Unions have done so much for labor but folks like yourself are brainwashed clowns that think everyone should just be slaves to their job so your opinion is not surprising.
I've worked for over 30 years at various companies and in different industries and I have never been a slave to my job, so it appears you are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about.

I've worked for over 30 years at various companies and in different industries and I have never been a slave to my job, so it appears you are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about.
Good for you. You just want to shit on how others get by and have everyone else be a slave.

Go woke, go broke.

Such an uplifting story.
I have no outrage at all for either side here. Workers didn’t feel like they were getting a fair shake, so they took the action they thought they had to take…..the business did the same. In the end, everyone loses a little bit, but that’s no reason why the workers should have to simply stay for the pay/conditions they weren’t happy with.

I have no outrage at all for either side here. Workers didn’t feel like they were getting a fair shake, so they took the action they thought they had to take…..the business did the same. In the end, everyone loses a little bit, but that’s no reason why the workers should have to simply stay for the pay/conditions they weren’t happy with.

They could go work at the Starbucks on the other side of town that IS unionized if they like that arrangement.

I wonder how much the union dues reduce the increase in pay?

Unions are simply labor participating in capitalism by evening up the leverage a little bit.

Of course right wingers hate that.

LOL, no.

How is it possible that employers are required to retain disgruntled, bad attitude, unengaged employees because they're unionized? That's the most insane crapola ever.

And to make matters worse, employers have to pay the good employees that go above and beyond the same rate of pay as the biggest slacker on the shop floor. Seniority is the only acceptable reason to have different rates of pay for doing the same job. Productivity or quality? Nope.

That's garbage.

LOL, no.

How is it possible that employers are required to retain disgruntled, bad attitude, unengaged employees because they're unionized? That's the most insane crapola ever.

And to make matters worse, employers have to pay the good employees that go above and beyond the same rate of pay as the biggest slacker on the shop floor. Seniority is the only acceptable reason to have different rates of pay for doing the same job. Productivity or quality? Nope.

That's garbage.
I hate unions. I hate people who like unions. Unions magnify and uphold average to below average work ethics.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
They could go work at the Starbucks on the other side of town that IS unionized if they like that arrangement.

I wonder how much the union dues reduce the increase in pay?

Teamsters calculate union dues to be 2.5 x your hourly pay per month. (So if your pay is $20 an hour, your dues are $50 per month)

Unions increase wages by about 20%

Considering that if you work full time your Union dues are about 1.5% of your income I would say it's a worthwhile trade.

ADVERTISEMENT