ADVERTISEMENT

Workers at a Tallahassee coffee shop went on strike. The owner closed the shop permanently....

They are. Read up on the history of unions and why they came about. Also read up on the advances unions have created for all workers ($$, benefits, working hours, etc.). Unions have had many issues and far too much corruption in some of them. They can go too far the other way but the purpose and foundation of unions is a sound way to give some leverage to the workers.

You keep reading, Riley. I’ll keep working in a union job. 😂

They are. Read up on the history of unions and why they came about. Also read up on the advances unions have created for all workers ($$, benefits, working hours, etc.). Unions have had many issues and far too much corruption in some of them. They can go too far the other way but the purpose and foundation of unions is a sound way to give some leverage to the workers.

This isn't the age of sweatshops anymore.

Evolving employment laws and regulations have basically rendered unions completely unnecessary today.

I work for a Class 1 railroad in bridge inspection and construction. Why would I be thankful for the “protections” of my union when I could leave and go make the same or more, doing similar work, in a non-unionized job?
Inheritance plan? What are you referring to?

Thanks. I was implying - by the content of your posts - that you come off as a dummy. A dummy, by the nature of being a dummy, would benefit from union like "protections" as a result of being incompetent at work, because they're a dummy. Of course, rarely are dummies aware that they are dummies. Accordingly, I can understand why you wouldn't appreciate the "protections".

Are you not set to inherent a bunch of valuable land? Maybe I've mixed up you with a different poster, there's lots of idiots on this board and "Kinnick" is popular for usernames. Are you always fired up and in defense mode every time a police officer shoots someone or is otherwise being discussed?

Reactions: RileyHawk
Thanks. I was implying - by the content of your posts - that you come off as a dummy. A dummy, by the nature of being a dummy, would benefit from union like "protections" as a result of being incompetent at work, because they're a dummy. Of course, rarely are dummies aware that they are dummies. Accordingly, I can understand why you wouldn't appreciate the "protections".

You didn’t answer the simple question I asked because you can’t. So, you got personal. That’s what a dummy does.

Are you not set to inherent a bunch of valuable land?

I am. What I’ll take in from that won’t come close to matching retirement earned through my own work though. So, it’s not exactly an “inheritance plan.”

You are so ****ing naive.

When we were negotiating a union contract, the biggest sticking point was not wages, not benefits, not working hours... nothing like that. The BIG ISSUE was the deduction of union dues from employees' paychecks.

Our position was, "Collect your own damn dues. We're not doing it for you."

You'd think we proposed murdering the union boss' firstborn child.

You didn’t answer the simple question I asked because you can’t. So, you got personal. That’s what a dummy does.

I am. What I’ll take in from that won’t come close to matching retirement earned through my own work though. So, it’s not exactly an “inheritance plan.”

I answered all of your questions. I didn't get personal, I even thanked you for answering mine. I explained - in really plain terms - why I thought you should be thankful for the protections. I then answered your question about what I meant by the inheritance plan.

I think you have a reading and comprehension problem. I hope that also isn't interpreted as going "personal".

I answered all of your questions. I didn't get personal, I even thanked you for answering mine. I explained - in really plain terms - why I thought you should be thankful for the protections. I then answered your question about what I meant by the inheritance plan.

I think you have a reading and comprehension problem. I hope that also isn't interpreted as going "personal".

Keep dancing. Your “answer” was I should be thankful for my union’s protections because I’m dumb, yes? That’s great. Except, of course, I’m not dumb. And you didn’t answer the question I asked honestly, because you can’t. Very simple terms.

• Haha
Keep dancing. Your “answer” was I should be thankful for my union’s protections because I’m dumb, yes? That’s great. Except, of course, I’m not dumb. And you didn’t answer the question I asked honestly, because you can’t. Very simple terms.

At least you understood that I believe that you come off as a dummy based on the content of your posts. So you can read and comprehend some things, at least when it's crystal clear.

Yeah, I already acknowledged that it's rare for dumb people to self-recognize, the lack of awareness is part of being dumb.

I still maintain that I have answered all of your questions, regardless of whether they were honest or dishonest.

I am amused by the "dancing" comment though, am I supposed to interpret that as "personal"?

I guess that's what can make HORT entertaining. I think I am being straightforward, simple, plainly stated and clear. You think I'm going personal, that I'm dancing and that I am refusing to answer your question because I can't.

I reckon some people can appreciate the dumb label here.

At least you understood that I believe that you come off as a dummy based on the content of your posts. So you can read and comprehend some things, at least when it's crystal clear.

What is your personal experience with unions? Can you answer that question?

Sure, you can be fired for misconduct.

But not for "quiet quitting"....
It's apparent you have no idea what the term means. People who "quiet quit" are doing the jobs they were hired to do. They're refusing to do all the extra shit managment is trying to dump on them.

And none of the terminations I'm aware of when I was building airplane seats were for "misconduct", they were for poor performance.

Reactions: ping72
How is it possible that employers are required to retain disgruntled, bad attitude, unengaged employees because they're unionized? That's the most insane crapola ever.
Apparently none of what you’re saying is correct, but in the real world, I see this often. I see coworkers of mine who could have been potentially fired for numerous infractions, in the non-unionized world, who continue to work where I do.
And to make matters worse, employers have to pay the good employees that go above and beyond the same rate of pay as the biggest slacker on the shop floor.

This is absolutely true.

Seniority is the only acceptable reason to have different rates of pay for doing the same job. Productivity or quality? Nope.

That's garbage.

More truth. Seniority also determines who is awarded job bids. And it’s all that determines it. At least where I work.

It's apparent you have no idea what the term means. People who "quiet quit" are doing the jobs they were hired to do. They're refusing to do all the extra shit managment is trying to dump on them.

And none of the terminations I'm aware of when I was building airplane seats were for "misconduct", they were for poor performance.

This. Quiet quitting isn’t a bad thing or a lazy/slacker thing. It’s simply people refuse to be exploited.

My two favorite union stories. We never used union contractors but when we were remodeling a downtown store in St. Louis we were required to use union workers. I was checking on the progress and got on a freight elevator with a big guy sitting on a stool doing nothing but pushing the floor buttons. I said to him with tongue in cheek, is this what you do all day? How do I get your job? He just gave me a dirty look.

The second one was when we were remodeling a shoe dept and using round glass table tops for displays. We brought out one too many and I was told that I wasn't allowed to take it back to the stock room because if we looked like were doing union work, the union workers would walk out. We asked one of the contractors who walked by to please take it away but he said "I can't, I'm a journeyman and you need a glazier to move glass" so we asked him to send one over. No one came so we asked another guy and he gave us the same answer. It was getting close to store opening time when a third guy came buy and the store manager asked him to take it away. He gave the same answer so the store manager said what can he do? The guy said he was a laborer so just trash not glass. The store manager broke the glass table topper and said, now, take it away it's now garbage. The look on that workers face was priceless.

Reactions: The Tradition
I can, I have almost zero personal experience with unions.

At least you’ll admit it. But, you might want to refrain in the future from calling someone else a “dummy” as they’re explaining factual information about something of which you have “almost zero personal experience.” There’s heavy irony in doing that, and it’s not of the flattering variety.

• Haha
At least you’ll admit it. But, you might want to refrain in the future from calling someone else a “dummy” as they’re explaining factual information about something of which you have “almost zero personal experience.” There’s heavy irony in doing that, and it’s not of the flattering variety.

Admit it? Did you think I was being coy or defensive?

Your reading comprehension issues are apparent again. You seem to think that I believe you to be a dummy based on your "explaining factual information". In reality, my observation was based on the content of your posts in general, across the many dozens of threads that you participate in, not just this one.

I don't doubt that you feel like your personal observations and anecdotes are akin to explaining factual information.

Also typical of dummies, a misunderstanding of what irony is how to use it in a sentence.

Admit it? Did you think I was being coy or defensive?

Your reading comprehension issues are apparent again. You seem to think that I believe you to be a dummy based on your "explaining factual information". In reality, my observation was based on the content of your posts in general, across the many dozens of threads that you participate in, not just this one.

I don't doubt that you feel like your personal observations and anecdotes are akin to explaining factual information.

Also typical of dummies, a misunderstanding of what irony is how to use it in a sentence.

Your pompousness is hilarious. Tell me, will you be attending any Iowa games this season?

Your pompousness is hilarious. Tell me, will you be attending any Iowa games this season?

I think we're having a miscommunication in terms of feel from text based communication. I think I'm being clear and concise (or at least trying, I can struggle with writing) in what I'm trying to communicate, it's being intepreted and "pompous", "personal" and "dancing".

I'll certainly travel home for at least one game, hopefully two. Only to tailgate, see friends and family, and hit some of my favorite bars. I don't generally enjoy actually attending the games. Enjoy the TV broadcast, food, beverages and company of watching at a bar.

Was that a honest or dishonest question? I'm happy to answer, but it's a bit out of left field.

Are you attending any this season?

I think we're having a miscommunication in terms of feel from text based communication.

I’m not aware of any other way to “feel” but offended when being called a dummy.

Are you attending any this season?

I am. All of them. Perhaps we could communicate more effectively in person. I’d be glad to meet you to discuss your conclusions on my intellect.

• Haha
It also evens up workers pay so businesses can't secretly under pay some workers because we culturally have a problem with discussing our incomes.

This is a big problem that needs to stop, particularly in corporate America. New York and now California are at least now posting pay ranges when they hire

I’m not aware of any other way to “feel” but offended when being called a dummy.

I am. All of them. Perhaps we could communicate more effectively in person. I’d be glad to meet you to discuss your conclusions on my intellect.

What does feeling offended have to do with me being "pompous", "dancing" or getting "personal"? Maybe we also have a different understanding of what those words mean. Are they intended to be offensive after being slighted regardless if they fit in the context?

I hope you enjoy the games. As I indicated - and you seem to have struggled comprehending what I wrote again - I'll only make one or two and the visit is intended to be fun, to visit with friends and family. Meeting up with you obviously wouldn't fit that bill.

It's always the really really smart people who get super defensive when their intellect is casually challenged on a anonymous message board. They are so comfortable with themselves that they find the need to go back and forth with... wait...

This is a big problem that needs to stop, particularly in corporate America. New York and now California are at least now posting pay ranges when they hire

It’s literally illegal for a company to tell their employees they cannot discuss pay.

This is really all you had to say. I'll be your dummy. You'll be my coward.

You've been a gift today. Coward? I must have been confused, was I to presume I would be under the threat of danger if we were to meet up?

Another thing the really really smart people do: boast about their bench press numbers. Let's hear it!

@Whiskeydeltadeltatango are you available? I think the really smart bridge guy is also really tough.

You've been a gift today. Coward? I must have been confused, was I to presume I would be under the threat of danger if we were to meet up?

Is that your insinuation of my post? You're far behind. See, as well as you believe to know me, I believe to know you as well. There wasn't even going to be any meeting between us. And if there was, there certainly wasn't going to be an exchange similar to what has occurred in this thread. I think we'd get along very nicely. Where, I ask, is the threat of danger?

@Whiskeydeltadeltatango are you available? I think the really smart bridge guy is also really tough.

Another insult. This time of my profession. How nice.

I hate unions. I hate people who like unions. Unions magnify and uphold average to below average work ethics.
Man, I don't know if I agree with this. I'm amazed with what companies are getting away with now.

My cousin took a job about 4 months ago with a national mobile billboard company. Travels all over the country with marketing promotions. He really enjoys it. He's 49 years old and hasn't had health insurance in a few years. We were talking about colonoscopies recently and he said he's never had one. I told him he better get one soon and he said he doesn't get health insurance with his new job in the first year. Plus, no time-and-a-half.

Works 50+ hours a week, $16 an hour, no time and a half, no health insurance with a middle-aged workforce. As long as employees agree to it, corporations will get away with whatever that can get away with.

• Sad
Reactions: ping72
Is that your insinuation of my post? You're far behind. See, as well as you believe to know me, I believe to know you as well. There wasn't even going to be any meeting between us. And if there was, there certainly wasn't going to be an exchange similar to what has occurred in this thread. I think we'd get along very nicely. Where, I ask, is the threat of danger?

Another insult. This time of my profession. How nice.

I don't know you well, only some things gleaned from your posts. I think you come off as a dummy from what you've posted, I figured a simple reference to that would get you to uhh, using your word: "dance". And you have, you've been entertaining today.

Of course there wouldn't be a meeting, I go to IC for fun, not to interact with anonymous dummies who entertain me from a message board.

What else would I be afraid of outside of a threat of danger? is it that you think I'd intimidated by your supreme intellect?

Where, I ask, is the insult of your profession? Are you having trouble reading again, I'm only acknowledging how really smart and not dumb you are, you've demonstrated it so well today.

Thanks for the engagement today,

Coward

I don't know you well, only some things gleaned from your posts. I think you come off as a dummy from what you've posted, I figured a simple reference to that would get you to uhh, using your word: "dance". And you have, you've been entertaining today.

Of course there wouldn't be a meeting, I go to IC for fun, not to interact with anonymous dummies who entertain me from a message board.

What else would I be afraid of outside of a threat of danger? is it that you think I'd intimidated by your supreme intellect?

Where, I ask, is the insult of your profession? Are you having trouble reading again, I'm only acknowledging how really smart and not dumb you are, you've demonstrated it so well today.

Thanks for the engagement today,

Coward

Yawn.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
When we were negotiating a union contract, the biggest sticking point was not wages, not benefits, not working hours... nothing like that. The BIG ISSUE was the deduction of union dues from employees' paychecks.

Our position was, "Collect your own damn dues. We're not doing it for you."

You'd think we proposed murdering the union boss' firstborn child.
Or, since it was such a minor issue by your own admission, give it to them.

You suck at a lot of things, negotiation is apparently another of them.

ADVERTISEMENT