ADVERTISEMENT

Worst moment of the Olympics

Which was worse?

• Jordan Chiles getting her bronze stripped for a technicality (US fighting it)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Men's volleyball collapse against Poland in the semi

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Mens and Womens Beach Volleyball didn't have a team get to the semi for the first time ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Women's water polo failed to get a medal for the first time in a long time.

• Men's swimming struggled to get the normal gold haul.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Men's 4x100 continues to look like a jr high sub-varsity relay team.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • The entire sport of breaking

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Womens basketball, not that we won (that's good) it's how poorly we played in the final

• Mens 3x3 basketball team being 1 of 2 teams to not make knockout rounds

• Opening ceremony

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Hawkfan_08

HB Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
It was a great Olympics overall, especially for the Americans! That is already covered by another thread.

There were some downers too. Which was your worst for the US?

Pick one of the choices but feel free to add another.

Reactions: 1inamillion
Spencer Lee not getting gold. The men's soccer team getting blasted 4-0 by Morocco was a bummer.
EXACTLY the same answers for me. Lee has come so far after double ACL reconstruction and was SO close to winning gold that match.

USA men not even getting a chance to play for a medal after all the scoring in the group stage was disheartening.

Canada women’s soccer drone spying costing them an easier matchup in the quarterfinals, which ended in PKs, and Lacasse getting no medal on the defending gold medalists takes my bronze for worst moment.

EXACTLY the same answers for me. Lee has come so far after double ACL reconstruction and was SO close to winning gold that match.

USA men not even getting a chance to play for a medal after all the scoring in the group stage was disheartening.

Canada women’s soccer drone spying costing them an easier matchup in the quarterfinals, which ended in PKs, and Lacasse getting no medal on the defending gold medalists takes my bronze for worst moment.

Dang, I really should have added men's soccer. I didn't think anyone would vote for it.

For the US, I would say Women's water polo was most surprising, followed closely by neither women's beach volleyball teams getting a medal.

As to the poll, I picked Break Dancing. I love niche sports, and I seek them out and watch as many as I can. Break dancing is not a niche sport, much less one I want to seek out to watch every four years.
Add in the ridiculousness that was the Aussie "dancer" Break Dancing needs to be done at the Olympics.

For the US, I would say Women's water polo was most surprising, followed closely by neither women's beach volleyball teams getting a medal.

As to the poll, I picked Break Dancing. I love niche sports, and I seek them out and watch as many as I can. Break dancing is not a niche sport, much less one I want to seek out to watch every four years.
Add in the ridiculousness that was the Aussie "dancer" Break Dancing needs to be done at the Olympics.

All good points.

Reactions: NoleinATL
You did see the US is appealing that, right? They have it time lapsed and apparently it shows we were well within the time restraint.
I knew there was an appeal, but I hadn't heard there was video evidence. To add to the confusion, Romania is appealing Sabrina Maneca-Voinea’s score. She had a deduction for stepping out but video shows she didn't. Absent that deduction, she would finish ahead of Chiles even with the 0.1 addition to Chiles' score.

I have no idea if they got their initial appeal in ahead of their own deadline but that would be stomach-churning to have the bronze given to Ana Barbosu, taken from her to give to Chiles, stripped from Chiles and given back to Barbosu, returned to Chiles if the appeal is approved...then stripped from Chiles AGAIN and given to Maneca-Voinea.

And you thought MLB umpiring sucked. ;)

I voted 4x100, but it’s become so routine at this point that we really should just expect it
i thought it was funny that right before the race the analysts recapped how they shit the bed every olympics since 2000, and then not even 2 minutes later they did it again.

That event is cursed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT