ADVERTISEMENT

Would 8-4 be a good enough record this year?

scotthawk1964

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2014
Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
Was reading the Land of Ten, and saw this article by Scott Dochterman.

ANSWER: With Iowa’s Big Ten schedule, which included crossover games with Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State, most fans and observers predicted a 7-5 or even 6-6 record. I was on the high side at 8-4. Very few people picked Iowa to win more than 8 games this year.

But my question then was, which games would you be OK losing? It’s one thing to say in June that Iowa probably will lose at Northwestern. It’s quite another to live through it when it actually happens in overtime at Evanston. Knee-jerk frustration often dwarfs the perspectives of prediction past.

Iowa sits at 6-4 right now and will be favored to win its final two games against Purdue and Nebraska. If that happens, is it a successful regular season? In a word, yes. With a new offensive coordinator and passing system, a sophomore quarterback, new receivers and then injuries at tackle coupled with a more brutal schedule that initially expected, an 8-4 record is better than predicted. All of the losses will have come to teams with better records. At 8-4, the Hawkeyes will have retained three of the four traveling trophies. It appears that at least eight of Iowa’s opponents are bowl teams this year. Then there’s that blowout win against Ohio State.

But it’s also understandable for fans to have some sour feelings about the season. The offense never really got on track consistently, especially in losses to Wisconsin, Michigan State and Northwestern. There were a lot of overthrown deep passes. Injuries along the offensive line derailed a promising running game. There just wasn’t enough sustained momentum in the Big Ten season for fans to feel good. In some ways, this year was just like 2013. Good, but not great.

By the numbers, an 8-4 record is good enough for this season. But that doesn’t include the bowl game. That is a must-win for the program at this point. If Iowa finishes 9-4, it probably ends up ranked. That’s something many of us didn’t expect entering the season.
........For the most part, I agree with his assessment. Before the season began, I think the majority of people here were thinking anywhere from 6 to 8 wins. For the youth in key spots, I think 8-4 is good enough, however to see the potential this team has, and the eggs they laid against Northwestern, Michigan State and Wisconsin can leave people sour. They should get a winnable bowl game though.

Reactions: Eternal Return

ANSWER: With Iowa’s Big Ten schedule, which included crossover games with Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State, most fans and observers predicted a 7-5 or even 6-6 record. I was on the high side at 8-4. Very few people picked Iowa to win more than 8 games this year.

But my question then was, which games would you be OK losing? It’s one thing to say in June that Iowa probably will lose at Northwestern. It’s quite another to live through it when it actually happens in overtime at Evanston. Knee-jerk frustration often dwarfs the perspectives of prediction past.

Iowa sits at 6-4 right now and will be favored to win its final two games against Purdue and Nebraska. If that happens, is it a successful regular season? In a word, yes. With a new offensive coordinator and passing system, a sophomore quarterback, new receivers and then injuries at tackle coupled with a more brutal schedule that initially expected, an 8-4 record is better than predicted. All of the losses will have come to teams with better records. At 8-4, the Hawkeyes will have retained three of the four traveling trophies. It appears that at least eight of Iowa’s opponents are bowl teams this year. Then there’s that blowout win against Ohio State.

But it’s also understandable for fans to have some sour feelings about the season. The offense never really got on track consistently, especially in losses to Wisconsin, Michigan State and Northwestern. There were a lot of overthrown deep passes. Injuries along the offensive line derailed a promising running game. There just wasn’t enough sustained momentum in the Big Ten season for fans to feel good. In some ways, this year was just like 2013. Good, but not great.

By the numbers, an 8-4 record is good enough for this season. But that doesn’t include the bowl game. That is a must-win for the program at this point. If Iowa finishes 9-4, it probably ends up ranked. That’s something many of us didn’t expect entering the season.
........For the most part, I agree with his assessment. Before the season began, I think the majority of people here were thinking anywhere from 6 to 8 wins. For the youth in key spots, I think 8-4 is good enough, however to see the potential this team has, and the eggs they laid against Northwestern, Michigan State and Wisconsin can leave people sour. They should get a winnable bowl game though.
Ugly 8and4 no? Six pack of warm COORS UGH no?And getting 40buck parking ticket in city.Bb with RED FACEcoach and staff yup!!

As crazy as it sounds it all comes down to the bowl for me this year. 1) they need to win, like for real it's been long enough go beat someone. 2) Brian, you get a month to work on whatever you want to show moving forward. 8-4 the way we have done it is rough. It was awesome to watch OSU and it was horrible watching wiscy and msu out tough us. Big difference between 9-4 and 8-5 this year.

I predicted 9-3. Even though I predicted a loss at Northwestern, that loss is the most disappointing because Iowa's defense held the Cat's offense to 10 points and that should have been good enough for a win on the road. I know coach Ferentz does not circle any one opponent when preparing for the season and I agree with that approach, but I wouldn't mind it if he singles out Wisconsin going forward.

8 wins given all the question marks we had on offense going into the year significantly exceeds my expectations. I'm happy with the development at QB, TE and kicking. Disappointed in run blocking, punting and the return game. Defense and the WR group has been what I expected.

Expectations and predictions are one thing, how you feel after the season will be based on the emotions & results of the season itself. I picked 7-5 pre season and we may well beat that. The horrible loss to Wisconsin will always color this season for me. So I will agree we need a bowl win to make this a good season for me.

Reactions: amahawk
Yes, most didn't expect much out of this team, but then you lose to the 3rd ranked team on the last play and lose close ones on the road and all of a sudden expectations change and people are thinking, "wow, if our 2 SR OT's didn't go down etc.., this team could have feasibly gone 10-2 or even 11-1. I remember most thinking we would lose to Wyoming and State and start the yr. 1-3 after playing PSU. Then after our showing against OSU people were thinking we finally took a huge step forward on offense only to take 2 steps back the next game. It's been quite a roller coaster ride of expectations this year...I like roller coasters myself.
"Parenthood"-
You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.

Gil: Oh?

Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!

Gil: What a great story.

Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

I predicted 9-3. Even though I predicted a loss at Northwestern, that loss is the most disappointing because Iowa's defense held the Cat's offense to 10 points and that should have been good enough for a win on the road. I know coach Ferentz does not circle any one opponent when preparing for the season and I agree with that approach, but I wouldn't mind it if he singles out Wisconsin going forward.

I think the players will be kicking themselves on the N'w game; its not like that was a hostile environment.

We should get to 8-4; crazy to think that had we won at N'w, we would be looking at a 9-3 record; and I guess that would still not be good enough, because people would be saying we should have won the West

Expectations and predictions are one thing, how you feel after the season will be based on the emotions & results of the season itself. I picked 7-5 pre season and we may well beat that. The horrible loss to Wisconsin will always color this season for me. So I will agree we need a bowl win to make this a good season for me.

What are your thoughts on why we had no clue against Wisky's D?

Nate said crowd noise was a factor (which might explain the botched snap, picked up by Wisky, and run in for a TD).

Remember,too, that Matt Vandeberg's HORRIFIC punt returns killed field position; remember when he let one bounce to the 7 (?), Nate gets sacked at the 1, and then Wadley almost gets tackled in the end zone? Then a bad punt gives Wisky EXCELLENT FIELD POSITION AND THEY SCORE ANOTHER TD

So that's 14 points right there that we gifted Wisky.

I am with you; such a strange, freaking ugly game.

8-4 would be a shade better than I had hoped for prior to the season. At this point, I would say a 6-6 finish should be expected based on the last performance. Of course, the OL could decide to block, the WRs could decide to catch, and the QB could decide to not turnover the football. If that happens, maybe Iowa can get to 8-4. Right now I'm not sure the Offense can do all that two weeks in a row let alone one.

I thought this team would be really good. 10-2 is where I had it preseason.
I think that's what I thought as well (10-2) because I thought we would have a stout defense (which we do) and I thought our passing game couldn't get any worse than last year (and it hasn't, it's got better), but the key was that I thought we would run the ball down peoples throats behind an experienced OL that returned all 5 starters from the bowl game and 4 guys that were part of winning the Moore award, plus a RB who we thought would have a huge breakout year. I got even more confident in our run game when Butler decided to come here. Obviously, it's been our run game that's been the big surprise/disappointment. If our OT's don't get hurt and we don't lose Butler for that stretch could our team be 9-1/8-2 right now? I think it's possible, but that's the way the lower legs and elbows crumble.

Reactions: ichawk24 and HKI
At the beginning of the year I gave Iowa the chances for the following records: No chance at 10-2 to 12-0. I figured we would lose at least 3 games or more. I personally thought 6-6 or 5-7 could very well be possible.

If the hawks finish 8-4 I would take it as a successful season. It is definitely a typical KF type year. We upset someone we had no right beating and also lose a couple of head scratchers that leave you upset and wondering WTF is going on. I would think most fans would be happy beings we had a lot of youth on key positions. Also we beat OSU, barely lost to PSU, and also beat ISU. The upsetting part is losing to MSU & NW in the way we did. Those two games showed our youth and inexperience this year.

If we get to 8-4 and win our bowl game 9-4 would be nice heading into the off-season. We return a lot of key pieces to next years team. Sadly we are also losing probably our 3 best players (Jewell, Wadley, and Jackson).

I think that's what I thought as well (10-2) because I thought we would have a stout defense (which we do) and I thought our passing game couldn't get any worse than last year (and it hasn't, it's got better), but the key was that I thought we would run the ball down peoples throats behind an experienced OL that returned all 5 starters from the bowl game and 4 guys that were part of winning the Moore award, plus a RB who we thought would have a huge breakout year. I got even more confident in our run game when Butler decided to come here. Obviously, it's been our run game that's been the big surprise/disappointment. If our OT's don't get hurt and we don't lose Butler for that stretch could our team be 9-1/8-2 right now? I think it's possible, but that's the way the lower legs and elbows crumble.

Those were my exact thoughts as well going in

What are your thoughts on why we had no clue against Wisky's D?

Nate said crowd noise was a factor (which might explain the botched snap, picked up by Wisky, and run in for a TD).

Remember,too, that Matt Vandeberg's HORRIFIC punt returns killed field position; remember when he let one bounce to the 7 (?), Nate gets sacked at the 1, and then Wadley almost gets tackled in the end zone? Then a bad punt gives Wisky EXCELLENT FIELD POSITION AND THEY SCORE ANOTHER TD

So that's 14 points right there that we gifted Wisky.

I am with you; such a strange, freaking ugly game.

Honestly Fran, we were just always off balance the whole game. Anytime we would start to move we would shoot ourselves in the foot w/ an ill timed penalty or a momentum killing dropped pass or bad punt. We were also behind the 8 ball all game with field position. If Fant catches that 1 pass instead of dropping it, we double our yardage right there. Too many mistakes against a team that was playing very well defensively all game and with a relentless, solid running attack.

Honestly Fran, we were just always off balance the whole game. Anytime we would start to move we would shoot ourselves in the foot w/ an ill timed penalty or a momentum killing dropped pass or bad punt. We were also behind the 8 ball all game with field position. If Fant catches that 1 pass instead of dropping it, we double our yardage right there. Too many mistakes against a team that was playing very well defensively all game and with a relentless, solid running attack.

thanks.

i think the buzz saw we used to beat OSU was used by Wisky. Damn buzz saws!

So the (admittedly) extremely ugly loss to Wisconsin overshadows the once-a-decade beat down of OSU?

As I celebrated after OSU, I concluded it was a season-maker for me. We could lose out and I’ll always remember that game over everything else.

Reactions: ichawk24
So the (admittedly) extremely ugly loss to Wisconsin overshadows the once-a-decade beat down of OSU?

As I celebrated after OSU, I concluded it was a season-maker for me. We could lose out and I’ll always remember that game over everything else.

The OSU game was one of my favorite games in Kinnick ever. But Wisconsin is our biggest rival. Anything that is good for them is bad for us. We don't recruit against OSU. We are always recruiting against Wisconsin. Wisconsin winning the division 5 of 6 years is disastrous for Iowa.

8-4 is a bit of a disapointment 9-3 is what I would of expected ... notbthud year but any year.

Surprised by all the people who want a bowl win... why? Because it makes you feel better . The Bowl game should be treated like a reward good for the team and good for the fans.

Ugly 8and4 no? Six pack of warm COORS UGH no?And getting 40buck parking ticket in city.Bb with RED FACEcoach and staff yup!!

Sorry, can't figure this out, but I found someone who can help.

excuse-me-stewardess-i-speak-jive.jpg

8-4 with W's over ISU, OSU, Minny and Nebby? 3 trophy wins? Heck yeah, it's a successful season.

Losses to MSU and NW were ugly, and could've been W's. But, those are darn good teams. PSU is an excellent team and Hawks dam near got 'em.

BUT, have to beat PU and Nebby to get to 8-4. Neither one is going to lay down for the Hawks.

The issue is not the W-L record. 8-4 is a decent record. The problem is that our defense is a 10-2 defense easily. Our offense has been putrid. It wasn't losing to Bucky that sucked, it was how inept our offense was. Yes they have a good defense, but it was not 5 first downs and 66 yards good! if we had lost be a touchdown and put up 350 yards, there would not be any bitching. Our first year OC got owned a a 35 year old DC.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
typical response from poster on here refusing to give ANY TEAM credit for being better than Iowa. here is the make up of Wisconsin Defensive starters
1 player from the 2015 class that is the youngest
10 players from the 2014 and 2013 class
that is a very experienced defense that before the game was 5th in total defense, their Experience just plain whipped Iowa's inexperience. Wisconsin was also ranked inside the top 10 and are now 5th in the CFB Poll and the AP,

but there are to many bellyaching about losing to a top 10 team. like Iowa is to beat EVERY top 10 team they played this year.

typical response from poster on here refusing to give ANY TEAM credit for being better than Iowa. here is the make up of Wisconsin Defensive starters
that is a very experienced defense that before the game was 5th in total defense, their Experience just plain whipped Iowa's inexperience. Wisconsin was also ranked inside the top 10 and are now 5th in the CFB Poll and the AP,

but there are to many bellyaching about losing to a top 10 team. like Iowa is to beat EVERY top 10 team they played this year.

No we didn't lose to Wisconsin, we got blown out by Wisconsin. I expected us to lose to Wisconsin. I did not expect us to not fire a shot.

It's all about the bowl game at this point. There will be rage if Iowa loses its last two--that would be warranted, true, but a bowl win going into next season would feel so good after so many losses. I could handle a few weeks of board meltdown for losses to Purdue and Nebraska if Iowa could just win a bowl game this year. 8-5 with a bowl loss is no good for me. 8-5 with a bowl win would be much, much better. 9-4 is the best they could do at this point, but Iowa hasn't won three in a row since the non-conference slate. Losses to either Purdue or Nebraska would be ugly, no question. They should be able to go 9-4 with a bowl win, but I worry about this team in the Music City. SEC opponents have not been kind to Iowa lately. Well, no team has from any conference so I'm hoping for a team like Boston College in the Pinstripe. That's a winnable bowl game.

Reactions: scotthawk1964

They are not nearly as good as we made them look. Wait till you see The meat chickens play them this weekend. Let me ask you a question? Do you feel the performance of our offense against Wisky last weekend was acceptable? Nobody is bitching about losing to Wisky but how we lost to them. I think criticism of the offensive production this year in general and against Wisky specifically are justified.

The issue is not the W-L record. 8-4 is a decent record. The problem is that our defense is a 10-2 defense easily. Our offense has been putrid. It wasn't losing to Bucky that sucked, it was how inept our offense was. Yes they have a good defense, but it was not 5 first downs and 66 yards good! if we had lost be a touchdown and put up 350 yards, there would not be any bitching. Our first year OC got owned a a 35 year old DC.
as for Iowa defense you do realize these are 1st year starters
DE RSSO A Nelson
DT RSJR M Nelson
RCB RSSO Ojemuda
LCB JR Jackson
SS SO Hooker his backup is FR Stone.
FS RSJR Gervase
Jackson was the backup to King
Ojemuda starts when Rugumba gets hurt and this would have been Rugumba 1st full season of starting.
yes they are very good and are getting better as the season goes on.
this spring we will start to get a idea of who will be the LB'rs that will replace the starters.
DT Bazata I think will be replaced by JR Lattimore while RSSR Matt Nelson stays where he is at,

I wouldn't say I would be happy with 8-4 but going into this year I didn't have much of a feel for where this team would be. returned a lot on defense, but secondary virtually all new, new QB, receivers a huge question mark, and new OC.
I said I could see them go 6-6 or one of those years where we get a surprise 10 win season.

I don't think you can be happy with 8 wins given how close it was to a win against Penn State and if the offense does anything against Michigan State or Northwestern, this is a different season but if you would have told me Iowa would win 8 games before the season I would've taken that for sure. Just a lot different route to 8 wins than I expected. (still have work to do to get there, but hypothetically)

They are not nearly as good as we made them look. Wait till you see The meat chickens play them this weekend. Let me ask you a question? Do you feel the performance of our offense against Wisky last weekend was acceptable? Nobody is bitching about losing to Wisky but how we lost to them. I think criticism of the offensive production this year in general and against Wisky specifically are justified.
it depends on what you expected out of a offense with these as 1st year starters by oldest to youngest
JR JUCO Walk on WR Easley
SO QB Stanley
SO TE Fant
RSFR TE Hochenson
RSFR LT Jackson
FR RT Wirfs
with these as top backups
RSFR RB Young
FR RB Kelly-Martin
FR WR Smith-Marsette
FR WR Brandon Smith
yeah I can see why people would expect this group would dominate a upper classmen group of defenders.
all because the teams name is Wisconsin, pull in your horns and give credit to where credit is do.

as for Iowa defense you do realize these are 1st year starters.........
That should never be used as an excuse.

Every team in America has new starters every year.
Every team experiences injuries every year.

Of course, new starters at key positions may be a contributing reason for a loss but never an excuse.

before the season Iowa had 15 returning starters and yet they were predicted to go 6-6 even by the odds makers in Vegas.
now there are just 7 returning starters still starting, nobody saw this many 1st year starters this season. Iowa is not a school that recruits plug and play players. this year they were forced to use that many new players especially RSFR or True FR.

the silver lining is these players are getting their baptism under the extreme condition of how many teams that are bowl eligible.

As crazy as it sounds it all comes down to the bowl for me this year. 1) they need to win, like for real it's been long enough go beat someone. 2) Brian, you get a month to work on whatever you want to show moving forward. 8-4 the way we have done it is rough. It was awesome to watch OSU and it was horrible watching wiscy and msu out tough us. Big difference between 9-4 and 8-5 this year.

I agree with this. IF we can win out we might be in a bowl where we are not over matched because the Big 10 sent two teams up the ladder. Games with 10 - 3 LSU and Oklahoma come to mind.

Yes. No clue why people would expect 9 wins this year with a new and unproven OC, new and unproven QB, new and unproven WRs, new and unproven TEs, new and unproven CBs. Pretty delusional to not think this was going to be a transition/rebuilding year. I expected 7-5 at best so yes I'd happily take 8-4. I also think people are chalking up that 'W' in Lincoln way too early and easily.

I thought 9 wins preseason but I am admittedly a huge homer so at this point I would be happy with 8 wins- because that is as good as we can be at this point

it depends on what you expected out of a offense with these as 1st year starters by oldest to youngest
JR JUCO Walk on WR Easley
SO QB Stanley
SO TE Fant
RSFR TE Hochenson
RSFR LT Jackson
FR RT Wirfs
with these as top backups
RSFR RB Young
FR RB Kelly-Martin
FR WR Smith-Marsette
FR WR Brandon Smith
yeah I can see why people would expect this group would dominate a upper classmen group of defenders.
all because the teams name is Wisconsin, pull in your horns and give credit to where credit is do.
Nobody expected them to dominate, just not be invisible.

ADVERTISEMENT