ADVERTISEMENT

Would 8-4 be a good enough record this year?

For the record, I believe the Offensive scheme is much better under BF than GD, it is just very poor execution that is killing us. BF has also had a few games where his play calling has been sub par. he is a work in progress but I believe he has good potential. What I want to see is some damn progress. I do not want the tOSU game to be just some fluke. By the way poor execution is as much on the coaches as the players.

to many dropped passes on 3rd down that would have extended drives, Stanley had -35 yards and the team was credited with -9 yards or a total of -44 yards which if not counted Iowa would have had 69 yards rushing, Stanley went 8-24 for 41 yards, complete some of those 3rd down passes the yardage increases,

Iowa went 0-13 on 3rd downs not going to pile yards up doing that.

For the record, I believe the Offensive scheme is much better under BF than GD, it is just very poor execution that is killing us. BF has also had a few games where his play calling has been sub par. he is a work in progress but I believe he has good potential. What I want to see is some damn progress. I do not want the tOSU game to be just some fluke. By the way poor execution is as much on the coaches as the players.
explain to me how the coaches are at fault for players dropping passes that are clearly catchable and/or make no attempt to stretch out or maybe dive to catch a ball.

in the NW game the TE had a ball go thru his hands because he was looking to run before securing the ball, that was a 1st down catch on 4th down that could also have ended up a TD pass that would have extended the game to a extra OT. so how is that the coaches fault?
in the MSU Game there were 3 fumbles at the worst possible moments again how is that the coaches fault?
then in the PSU Game it took a last play of the game for PSU to win again how is that the coaches fault?

I think BF will get it turned around, but your seeing a team who started two young tackles and basically bottom league talent at WR. That's a recipe for opposing teams to stack the box and make your passing game beat you. Well its not good and I think that is why you see the struggles.

The lack of execution seems to be more on the players end (dropped passes, missed blocks, etc). I think you are seeing a team with youth and inexperience struggle on the offensive side of the ball. USC had the same problems as us and struggled for a couple of weeks. To be fair they also have a legit first round QB, but they struggled for a while at the beginning of the year. They are finally figuring it out and have started to roll. I think Iowa can take a big step forward these last 3 games and build toward to next year.

to many dropped passes on 3rd down that would have extended drives, Stanley had -35 yards and the team was credited with -9 yards or a total of -44 yards which if not counted Iowa would have had 69 yards rushing, Stanley went 8-24 for 41 yards, complete some of those 3rd down passes the yardage increases,

Iowa went 0-13 on 3rd downs not going to pile yards up doing that.

Print and frame this ladies and gents. Kilroy said something that could be read as mildy criticizing the coaching staff. There's about an inch of snow in Hell.

explain to me how the coaches are at fault for players dropping passes that are clearly catchable and/or make no attempt to stretch out or maybe dive to catch a ball.

in the NW game the TE had a ball go thru his hands because he was looking to run before securing the ball, that was a 1st down catch on 4th down that could also have ended up a TD pass that would have extended the game to a extra OT. so how is that the coaches fault?
in the MSU Game there were 3 fumbles at the worst possible moments again how is that the coaches fault?
then in the PSU Game it took a last play of the game for PSU to win again how is that the coaches fault?
The coaches are responsible for teaching the players the fundamentals that lead to the players catching the ball. Just like they are responsible for the teaching the OL the techniques that lead to successful blocks. They are also responsible for selecting the players that go out on the field over other players. Coaches are always responsible for the performance of the team! I cannot believe you cannot see that!

I guess the coaches are ultimately responsible for everything.

Wait! Barta is responsible for extending KF's contract. The President of the U is responsible for Barta. The President was hired by the Regents. The Governor appointed the regents. The voters put the Gov in office.

If you voted for Brandstad, it's actually your fault that the players drop passes.

The coaches are responsible for teaching the players the fundamentals that lead to the players catching the ball. Just like they are responsible for the teaching the OL the techniques that lead to successful blocks. They are also responsible for selecting the players that go out on the field over other players. Coaches are always responsible for the performance of the team! I cannot believe you cannot see that!
I see it but I can't believe how dense you really are. I don't care how much time a coach ANY Coach spends teaching a player ANY player, you cannot stop that player from dropping, fumbling the ball or prevent false starts by FR OT
Scherff didn't start until his RSSO and he wasn't perfect but he did end up by his SR year the Outland Trophy Winner and 1st round draft pick,
4* RG Walsh didn't start till his RSSO season
4* OL US Army AA Ward only season he started was as the Jumbo TE other than that he never panned out

players pan out or they don't that what happen in college FB
5* OT the #1 OL in the country never played because of 3 back surgery's which ended what ever chance he had a career.

you blame the coaches for something that is out of their control, just look at how Iowa destroyed OSU and the OSU fans did what you are doing now.

with this team as young as it is you never know which team is going show up.
will it be the team where the receivers catch everything thrown at and not fumble the ball with the OL not getting silly penalties at a OSU or are you going to see the team that showed up vs NW and Wisconsin where dropped passes and fumbles occurred, as soon as you figure that out let me know and more importantly tell the coaches because I think they really want to know?

The angst from fans is not related to W/L. It's how we've lost; namely atrocious offense and a lack of "bullies of the big ten" OL/DL. This feeling has built up from years of poor offense after DJK/McNutt era. The defense is almost always good enough to be Top 25 team.

Ask me in two years how I feel about 2017. I'll know more about if we were just young on offense or if there is a systemic problem with KF's ability to put a decent offense on the field in the modern era. NCAA football has changed dramatically since the start of his time at Iowa.

We averaged seven wins a year so a 8 is a good season which is better than average. 9 wins would be a great season and anything above that is Elite. After we win the next two games we win a bowl game and that's 9 wins baby!

Reactions: RogerKint
I see it but I can't believe how dense you really are. I don't care how much time a coach ANY Coach spends teaching a player ANY player, you cannot stop that player from dropping, fumbling the ball or prevent false starts by FR OT
Scherff didn't start until his RSSO and he wasn't perfect but he did end up by his SR year the Outland Trophy Winner and 1st round draft pick,
4* OL US Army AA Ward only season he started was as the Jumbo TE other than that he never panned out

5* OT the #1 OL in the country never played because of 3 back surgery's which ended what ever chance he had a career.

you blame the coaches for something that is out of their control, just look at how Iowa destroyed OSU and the OSU fans did what you are doing now.

will it be the team where the receivers catch everything thrown at and not fumble the ball with the OL not getting silly penalties at a OSU or are you going to see the team that showed up vs NW and Wisconsin where dropped passes and fumbles occurred, as soon as you figure that out let me know and more importantly tell the coaches because I think they really want to know?
Then why is it that good coaches have players that do not make mistakes?

When it comes to Iowa football in the Ferentz era, the perfect illustration of mediocre is the 2011 season, i.e. 7-5 regular season with a predictable loss in the bowl. Lose to some bad teams (ISU, Minnesota), narrowly escape some bad teams (Pitt), win a good one (Michigan), and then have a bunch of forgettable games sprinkled in. 2011 is the kind of year I regret devoting 40 or so hours of my life to watching Iowa games.

Ohio State was fun this year, but 8-4 feels a lot like 2011 to me because the MSU/NW/Wisc games were beyond painful.

It would be for those who think Iowa will be better next year but the Hawks have been down that road before. without much satisfaction.

It's not always what this team does that pisses fans off, it's how the team does it. 55 points against OSU and then basically the same number of yards against Wisconsin?!? The fewest yards ever against Wisconsin? Losing close games to NW and MSU with old school playcalling before lighting it up against OSU?!? It flat out sucks that our defense has to win in spite of our offense for so many years.

And then he makes another post throwing the players under the bus (as usual).
show me where I THREW the players under the bus. by telling the truth and stating facts about players fumbling the ball away of dropping passes that.should have been caught for either a TD or a 1st down.

its better than throwing coaches under the bus for things they have no control over.

Good try, even you are not dense enough to not understand that the best coaches work with the best recruits and rep until mistakes are minimal. Nothing in this world is 100% or 0%.

Iowa had 2 tight ends destroy osu, but were nowhere to be found one week later. Did Wisc. game plan to take them out of the game? Sure. Did that open something else for the Hawks? What does KF look for in a TE when recruiting them blocking or catching? Did they help the Iowa rushing attack Saturday? See stats. The Iowa receivers have probably played that position for five years and caught many passes. Did KF look at them as blockers first and plan on "developing" their hands once they got on campus? How does a head coach that is supposed to be great at developing O-linemen and having them all play multiple positions find himself needing to play Freshmen instead of the reserve upper class men? Any number of those things SHOULD be under the coaches control. Too many misses to blame the players.

Iowa had 2 tight ends destroy osu, but were nowhere to be found one week later. Did Wisc. game plan to take them out of the game? Sure. Did that open something else for the Hawks? What does KF look for in a TE when recruiting them blocking or catching? Did they help the Iowa rushing attack Saturday? See stats. The Iowa receivers have probably played that position for five years and caught many passes. Did KF look at them as blockers first and plan on "developing" their hands once they got on campus? How does a head coach that is supposed to be great at developing O-linemen and having them all play multiple positions find himself needing to play Freshmen instead of the reserve upper class men? Any number of those things SHOULD be under the coaches control. Too many misses to blame the players.
and how dropped passes did they have vs the catches they made vs OSU. when TE's and WR's catch the ball the coaches called a great game, but you let those same players drop passes or don't catch those passes on the exact same play then the coaches get ripped for not calling the plays right,
those Upper classmen are all out with injuries, this is not the NFL where the GM can get on the phone to see who is available.
RSSR Boettger done for the season
his backup RSJR LeGrand done for the season
RSSR Myer day to day
RSJR Ferguson done for the season
Levi is the backup at RT, RG and LT
his brother is 3rd behind JR Render and JR Reynolds
that makes 3 OL out for the season and 3 regular starters still playing with Banwart and Williams being the backups at Center.

Can't make it any simpler than that
as for the WR's and TE's not sure what I can tell you TE RSSR Wisienski has been hurt his entire carreer and he was a 4* by ESPN and the 7th best TE,
JR WR Falconer just has not panned out
SO WR Young has not come thru
SR RB Butler missed 5 games because of that elbow injury which has allowed the opposing team to tee off on Wadley and force the 1st Year QB Stanley with those 1st year starters beat them thru the air,
CJ last seasons numbers thru 13 games 1929 yards 17 TD's 10 INT's QB rating of 122.3
Stanley thru 10 games
1970 22 TD's 5 INT's QB rating 136.8
Wadley total yards thru 13 games
1396 yards 2016 13 TD's
1094 yards 2017 8 TD's thru 10 games,

Its chicken and egg. The coaches are responasable for everything, including but not limited too, getting players into the program who can make the plays. No I don't care that Brian is a 1st year oc, the man in charge has been here 19 years.

No we didn't lose to Wisconsin, we got blown out by Wisconsin. I expected us to lose to Wisconsin. I did not expect us to not fire a shot.
6a00d8341d417153ef0192abdd9103970d-600wi

Get to 8-4 and i’ll be pleased. A loss to any one of our remaining opps and i will be dissapointed. Win the gd bowl game. Its time to get that monkey off our back

I know its already been said, but the bowl game is the most important thing. We need a win there

show me where I THREW the players under the bus. by telling the truth and stating facts about players fumbling the ball away of dropping passes that.should have been caught for either a TD or a 1st down.

its better than throwing coaches under the bus for things they have no control over.
It would be easier to point out where you DIDN’T blame the players.

If you have receivers who drop a lot of passes....who was it that brought them to Iowa in the first place? If you have players who make mental errors, who brought them to Iowa and who isn’t teaching them not to make those errors?

It is the COACHES who recruit these kids, and are responsible for teaching and developing.

Yes, players make mistakes. All players do. But it is up to the coaches to be sure they are kept to a minimum. That is what they get paid to do. I REFUSE to throw 18-22 year old kids under the bus. Success or failure starts and ends with the coaching staff. I’ve seen coaches that had a boatload of talented players that underachieved (Ron Zook), and coaches that have done well without being loaded with 5 star talent (Wisconsin since Alvarez).

Now.....before the usual suspects jump in and start calling me a Ferentz hater......back off. What I am saying applies to all coaches at every school.

8-4 acceptable? Given Iowa is 6-4 at this moment yes, 8-4 would be acceptable. That said, it's been a woulda, coulda, shoulda kind of season.

For me personally I judge the season by the week to week "record". So the "Is 8 wins enough" question has different answers depending on when the question is asked.

After the 3-0 non conference start an emphatic NO. After an anemic Minnesota win a YES.

Pretending to be Nostradamus in June prognosticating the final "record" is pure folly. The questions we all had in June have been answered somewhat.

Stanley has played better than most expected.

The offensive line and running game has fallen far short of expectations.

Mr. Jewell is indeed the stud we all thought he was in June and the defensive unit is who we thought they were this summer.

Angst over wide receiver play was warranted.

Josh Jackson stepped in to fill Desmond King's shoes when a lot of people looked to Manny Rugamba.

Many folks would have taken 8-4 in June. This is a much better team than I thought in June. In fact, it was a handful of plays away from becoming one of Kirk's special teams that arrive every 5 or so years......

For me personally I judge the season by the week to week "record". So the "Is 8 wins enough" question has different answers depending on when the question is asked.

After the 3-0 non conference start an emphatic NO. After an anemic Minnesota win a YES.

Pretending to be Nostradamus in June prognosticating the final "record" is pure folly. The questions we all had in June have been answered somewhat.

Stanley has played better than most expected.

The offensive line and running game has fallen far short of expectations.

Mr. Jewell is indeed the stud we all thought he was in June and the defensive unit is who we thought they were this summer.

Angst over wide receiver play was warranted.

Josh Jackson stepped in to fill Desmond King's shoes when a lot of people looked to Manny Rugamba.

Many folks would have taken 8-4 in June. This is a much better team than I thought in June. In fact, it was a handful of plays away from becoming one of Kirk's special teams that arrive every 5 or so years......
only thing is if this team finishes 9-4 they could end up in the top 25 for the 2nd time in 3 years and next season is looking more and more like the 2009 season following that 9-4 2008 season that ended up #20 in the AP ranking.

It would be easier to point out where you DIDN’T blame the players.

If you have receivers who drop a lot of passes....who was it that brought them to Iowa in the first place? If you have players who make mental errors, who brought them to Iowa and who isn’t teaching them not to make those errors?

It is the COACHES who recruit these kids, and are responsible for teaching and developing.

Yes, players make mistakes. All players do. But it is up to the coaches to be sure they are kept to a minimum. That is what they get paid to do. I REFUSE to throw 18-22 year old kids under the bus. Success or failure starts and ends with the coaching staff. I’ve seen coaches that had a boatload of talented players that underachieved (Ron Zook), and coaches that have done well without being loaded with 5 star talent (Wisconsin since Alvarez).

Now.....before the usual suspects jump in and start calling me a Ferentz hater......back off. What I am saying applies to all coaches at every school.
you are delusional and never ever played or coached at any level even 3-4th grade flag FB
Wadley had Fumblelitist when he arrived now in his RSJR Year he went over 1000 yards rushing and still could go over 1000 yards rushing making him just the 2nd RB under KF to do so, is/was it the coaches fault for even bothering to recruit him let alone allow him to remain on the team?
Tevaun Smith as a FR 3 catches for 31 yards then as a SR 32 catches 563 yards injuries limited his numbers and he is in the NFL,
did the coaches screw up on Smith as well?
to me the coaches did a helluva job of developing these players over their careers. just like they will develop these players over their careers,
Fant as a FR 9 catches for 70 yards and 1 TD
Fant as a SO 23 catches for 353 yards and 7 TD's

you don't 1 damn thing about FB SO STFU

it depends on what you expected out of a offense with these as 1st year starters by oldest to youngest
JR JUCO Walk on WR Easley
SO QB Stanley
SO TE Fant
RSFR TE Hochenson
RSFR LT Jackson
FR RT Wirfs
with these as top backups
RSFR RB Young
FR RB Kelly-Martin
FR WR Smith-Marsette
FR WR Brandon Smith
yeah I can see why people would expect this group would dominate a upper classmen group of defenders.
all because the teams name is Wisconsin, pull in your horns and give credit to where credit is do.

Jesus Christ

and how dropped passes did they have vs the catches they made vs OSU. when TE's and WR's catch the ball the coaches called a great game, but you let those same players drop passes or don't catch those passes on the exact same play then the coaches get ripped for not calling the plays right,
those Upper classmen are all out with injuries, this is not the NFL where the GM can get on the phone to see who is available.
RSSR Boettger done for the season
his backup RSJR LeGrand done for the season
RSSR Myer day to day
RSJR Ferguson done for the season
Levi is the backup at RT, RG and LT
his brother is 3rd behind JR Render and JR Reynolds
that makes 3 OL out for the season and 3 regular starters still playing with Banwart and Williams being the backups at Center.

Can't make it any simpler than that
as for the WR's and TE's not sure what I can tell you TE RSSR Wisienski has been hurt his entire carreer and he was a 4* by ESPN and the 7th best TE,
JR WR Falconer just has not panned out
SO WR Young has not come thru
SR RB Butler missed 5 games because of that elbow injury which has allowed the opposing team to tee off on Wadley and force the 1st Year QB Stanley with those 1st year starters beat them thru the air,
CJ last seasons numbers thru 13 games 1929 yards 17 TD's 10 INT's QB rating of 122.3
Stanley thru 10 games
1970 22 TD's 5 INT's QB rating 136.8
Wadley total yards thru 13 games
1396 yards 2016 13 TD's
1094 yards 2017 8 TD's thru 10 games,

Jesus Christ

If you want him to go away the best thing I have found is to ask him why he hates Barta so much, to think he is so bad at his job, he couldn't hire a better than a .580 coach to replace KF. Its like the wires in his brain cross between discounting Barta and suggesting thier could be someone better. He will go away for a solid 12 minutes. Someone else had a good one the other day also and he went away for like 3 hours, wish I could remember how he posed the question.

you are delusional and never ever played or coached at any level even 3-4th grade flag FB
Wadley had Fumblelitist when he arrived now in his RSJR Year he went over 1000 yards rushing and still could go over 1000 yards rushing making him just the 2nd RB under KF to do so, is/was it the coaches fault for even bothering to recruit him let alone allow him to remain on the team?
Tevaun Smith as a FR 3 catches for 31 yards then as a SR 32 catches 563 yards injuries limited his numbers and he is in the NFL,
did the coaches screw up on Smith as well?
to me the coaches did a helluva job of developing these players over their careers. just like they will develop these players over their careers,
Fant as a FR 9 catches for 70 yards and 1 TD
Fant as a SO 23 catches for 353 yards and 7 TD's

you don't 1 damn thing about FB SO STFU
Good grief, you have no reading comprehension whatsoever, plus you are a jerk on top of that. What a blowhard.

1. Get over yourself.
2. You don't know as much as you think you do.

I hate to resort to name-calling, but you really are a d-bag.

You also made my point about coaching! You thought you were putting me down, but you basically agreed with everything I said. Thank you!

Good grief, you have no reading comprehension whatsoever, plus you are a jerk on top of that. What a blowhard.

1. Get over yourself.
2. You don't know as much as you think you do.

I hate to resort to name-calling, but you really are a d-bag.

You also made my point about coaching! You thought you were putting me down, but you basically agreed with everything I said. Thank you!
by proving how wrong you are. have fun in ignore land where you can convince your self of you superiority NOT more like inferior.

I'm telling you man, ask him why he thinks so little of Barta. Its like cleaning when your wife is crabby.... they just go away.

ADVERTISEMENT