ADVERTISEMENT

Would Casey Blake Be Interested in Baseball Job?

frydaze

HR Legend
Nov 25, 2001
Native Iowan. Played several years in the majors. Would bring a "name" to the program. I think is now living back in Iowa part of the year at least.

have no idea if he has any interest in coaching though.

For one thing, playing professionally does not necessarily equal quality coaching. There needs to be some coaching experience.

My pick would be either Marc Rardin (#1) or Rick Heller.

bubbfan i completely disagree with you on both blake being a poor suggestion and that just playing professionally does not trump coaching experience. Guys like blake and jeff duncan are great options for Iowa if barta were to want them. Trust me blake has probably forgotten more about baseball than some of the coaches out there with jobs already. along with that just his name alone will bring recruits. look at Erstad he's taking players out of iowa and devoloping them EX: Chad Christiansen (Just drafted FYI). I think at this point Duncan is more than ready to take over. The man is a great hitting mind and a fantastic recruiter. granted they lost their ass to the draft last year at purdue. also it isnt always coaching. iowa high school baseball doesnt start until the summer which leaves the coaches and players both to a disadvantage. The coaching disadvantage is that you are seeing potential prospects play against high school competition, whereas your seeing illinois, missouri wisconsin indiana and other states that iowa recruits, play their seasons in the spring. then college coaches get to see those players play high level travel/aau ball in the summer against the top competition in the country all summer. so whos at loss both the iowa hs player and the coach scouting him. the iowa hs player is stuck playing against below avg comp and the coach has to pull the trigger on johnny hitting 600 against batting practice. Then they get to UI and arent worth a damn because they arent used to playing in the cold, the speed of the game/ Quality arms every weekend and the ups and downs of baseball. Justin Toole is the best iowa hs player to come through UI in a long time. Its not a fluke either. he barely hit his weight his first year and then add his work ethic to have a fantastic so,jr,and sr year. So if i were gary barta would i prefer a guy with professional baseball experience hell yes. that coach has played at the top and learned from the top. then again you have guys like obermueller in your backyard. Its not going to be an overnight solution it may take time, but believe me i know how it is i played there Iowa wants to win right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT