ADVERTISEMENT

Would Kirk be open to a complete overhaul on offense?

So you said either fire him or demote him. Again, I’m what world do you think that happens? Kirk has gone all in on this. To fire his son or demote him has got to come from Barta. And I don’t think he’s got the cahones to tell Kirk what to do.
It's called an OPINION dude? LOL It is something all people had until people started getting offended by everything. ;) I was simply stating MY OPINION of what I WOULD DO, not what Kirk or Barta would do. Ok?

Everyone says new COACHES when they should be saying new RECRUITERS! Funny how the best coaches happen to have the best players. All the commentators praise us for being a "developmental" school which is true. Seems like we produce a couple of pro-caliber players every year. This year the D will provide a couple, but we did not produce one WR or OL worthy of playing in the BIG.

Reactions: mikesright
What we will probably hear is how we are adding new twist and wrinkles to the offense and how Kirk is adapting some. That will be the narrative all spring and fall. Come early non conf we may throw in some new plays and “open” it up some more like Nevada game. But come conference play be same old offense. This even more so if Kirk keeps fredo around to run the offense.
Fredo!! Now that is a really good one, awesome mental image

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
We don’t need a change in philosophy. The problem is our dumpster fire of an offense can’t execute the ball control we need to be successful. We need better playcalls and better execution, and that starts with removing BF

I agree a lot with this post. We have seen Iowa's pro-style offense, if that is sort of an older description, work very well when it has the talent and executes, with what I see is using the whole field.

The first part of this year, Kirk and Brian, seemed to be not using the middle of the field in the passing game. I think they are so afraid of the types of wayward passes and tipped balls that cause interceptions. They have seen how their own defense feasts on these types of passes.

But you just cant consistently move the chains throwing 4-5 yard out patterns to the sidelines. Heck, early in the year Alex Wick caught a couple of nice medium range 15-20 yard post patterns but we never saw much of that again.

The Iowa offense seemed to get rejuvenated after the OSU game by running crossing patterns and throwing over the middle, by throwing the drag pattern to Ragaini a lot over the middle, by hitting the TEnds better up the hashes.

I think about the only way to get some WR talent and maybe more QB talent to come to Iowa is to have an OC, not Brian, who can use the whole field for a simple passing game that works, that uses some simple 1 and 3 step drop concepts, call it west coast if you want, to accurately get the ball to receivers at a higher percentage. The NFL uses the TEnds to a great degree and that has been a hallmark of Iowa football. They just need to get an OC who knows how to get the WRs catching passes with some space to get YAC.

My worry is with knowing how stubborn KF is, he's going to view any coaching changes as an admission of being wrong.

I think he's content with those 7-8 win seasons so his son and SIL have jobs.

Again, the problem is Barta is more worried about keeping the gravy train rolling and $$$ from the B1G office.
Changes need to be made, but I'm just not sure we see them.
Why does Barnes keep coming up in the conversation? Seems like he's done a fine job to me. Recruiting seems to doing fine, at least as to his end of it. Remember he's the recruiting coordinator, NOT the closer. Even the OL where we have issues we've signed numerous 4 star recruits. Some have not developed, and we've lost a really odd number of them to career ending injuries. Make of that what you will. Even the QB's many were 4 star players or had other good options. The issue is they don't seem to develop much here. I think its more the system their asked to play in then that they don't have some skill.

Everyone says new COACHES when they should be saying new RECRUITERS! Funny how the best coaches happen to have the best players. All the commentators praise us for being a "developmental" school which is true. Seems like we produce a couple of pro-caliber players every year. This year the D will provide a couple, but we did not produce one WR or OL worthy of playing in the BIG.
So you really believe that OSU, and Michigan gets the best players in the BIG because of their recruiting guys? Dude they could sit at home and sign better players then we can simply by tradition. You think its on Tyler Barnes to change the narrative of what a recruit sees when he watches OSU play, or Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, NW etc...Really?

11/25/2023 Iowa City
The University of Iowa has fired head football coach Kirk Ferentz after a disastrous 1 and 11 season. The decision was made on the inability to correct offensive deficiencies that have plagued the program the last two years and previous seasons where the offense was ranked poorly. No successor has been named but it is unclear if the current athletic director, Gary Barta will be responsible for the selection of a new head coach.

The long time Iowa head coach will leave with the third most wins in Big Ten Conference history. Ferentz was unable to adapt to the changing college football environment which lead to much criticism over the past few years over his offensive system. Most are speculating that Iowa will again look for a pro football offensive coordinator as the next head coach.

11/25/2023 Iowa City
The University of Iowa has fired head football coach Kirk Ferentz after a disastrous 1 and 11 season. The decision was made on the inability to correct offensive deficiencies that have plagued the program the last two years and previous seasons where the offense was ranked poorly. No successor has been named but it is unclear if the current athletic director, Gary Barta will be responsible for the selection of a new head coach.

The long time Iowa head coach will leave with the third most wins in Big Ten Conference history. Ferentz was unable to adapt to the changing college football environment which lead to much criticism over the past few years over his offensive system. Most are speculating that Iowa will again look for a pro football offensive coordinator as the next head coach.
Except......if Kirk goes 1-11 next season he won't be fired.

Why does Barnes keep coming up in the conversation? Seems like he's done a fine job to me. Recruiting seems to doing fine, at least as to his end of it. Remember he's the recruiting coordinator, NOT the closer. Even the OL where we have issues we've signed numerous 4 star recruits. Some have not developed, and we've lost a really odd number of them to career ending injuries. Make of that what you will. Even the QB's many were 4 star players or had other good options. The issue is they don't seem to develop much here. I think its more the system their asked to play in then that they don't have some skill.
My specific reference is only that a new HC will bring in his own staff. From OC/DC all the way down to recruiting dept. That means Barnes and BF are out of a job.

My specific reference is only that a new HC will bring in his own staff. From OC/DC all the way down to recruiting dept. That means Barnes and BF are out of a job.
Okay, but what you said was that KF is only sticking around so that he can keep BF and TB employed, and I don't think thats true. Obviously at this point its an unfortunate side effect with BF, but I still think he's coaching because thats what HE wants for himself. Another year like this, and he may change his mind.

Reactions: MitchLL
Okay, but what you said was that KF is only sticking around so that he can keep BF and T

B employed, and I don't think thats true. Obviously at this point its an unfortunate side effect with BF, but I still think he's coaching because thats what HE wants for himself. Another year like this, and he may change his mind.
We haven't seen a mass exodus of assts like we saw at the end of Hayden's run.

Watch if that occurs to get an idea.

There are things that Iowa does that still would work. It's time for a new OC, QB coach, and OL coach. It's also time to hit the portal. Would Kirk bring in an outsider and let them have full control with some new ideas is the question.
Needs to be. But won’t happen because he is a self proclaimed offensive genius who will not entertain any new offensive philosophy. Throw in is son who has been an unmitigated disaster as OC in the eyes of nearly everyone other than his Dad. Would love to see Kirk make the changes necessary and finish out his contract as the CEO of Iowa FB. However, his son’s $900,000 a year salary is more important than the program and the fans who support it. BF needs to be gone if Barta does his job. If KF threatens to resign, accept his resignation and move on. But, we know Barta won’t do his job. With the recent new hires in the BIG, USC & UCLA on the horizon, and the current state of the Iowa’s offense, the future for the Hawks does not look very promising. Unfortunately, believe KF is heading down the same path as Woody, Bo, Bowden, Hayden, etc., etc.

Reactions: MitchLL
Needs to be. But won’t happen because he is a self proclaimed offensive genius who will not entertain any new offensive philosophy. Throw in is son who has been an unmitigated disaster as OC in the eyes of nearly everyone other than his Dad. Would love to see Kirk make the changes necessary and finish out his contract as the CEO of Iowa FB. However, his son’s $900,000 a year salary is more important than the program and the fans who support it. BF needs to be gone if Barta does his job. If KF threatens to resign, accept his resignation and move on. But, we know Barta won’t do his job. With the recent new hires in the BIG, USC & UCLA on the horizon, and the current state of the Iowa’s offense, the future for the Hawks does not look very promising. Unfortunately, believe KF is heading down the same path as Woody, Bo, Bowden, Hayden, etc., etc.
KF's success can be explained in two words...Norm/Phil.

Reactions: Duhawk47
The only way Barta does that is with permission from his boss, Kirk. It's a paradox.
You've been around long enough to probably remember "Remember the Orange Bowl!!"....that was 2003...that's how long this conversation has been going on, and Kirk still hasn't changed, and he made it worse with BF as OC.
As to Barta, have to get him fired before someone comes in with the balls to deal with Kirk.

Problem is BF has become a liability for Iowa off the field on top of being a subpar OC on the field to put it nicely. I’m sure Ferentz supporters will blame negative Iowa fans but how many negative articles and by analyst on tv nationwide has there been? Been so many last 2 months like mcafee ripping him on gameday to countless national media articles written about him. Just today on the athletic posted in their football thoughts of the week how long term not winning west be better for Iowa if it means no more Bf as OC.

Off the field BF as long as he’s OC will be a used negatively against Iowa in recruiting like it or not. One of few things Iowa can sell is if he goes is a new OC and qb for least glimmer hope of optimism for the future.

There are things that Iowa does that still would work. It's time for a new OC, QB coach, and OL coach. It's also time to hit the portal. Would Kirk bring in an outsider and let them have full control with some new ideas is the question.
If you aren't going to fire your OC that hasn't finished with an offense rate above 87th, you at least better change things up.

Do you think Kirk stays on if Barta plays the hatchet man on his kid? I’m serious here.
To answer your question, if the Iowa A.D. did indeed fire BF when KF had full intention of keeping him on, then that probably would lead to KF’s sudden retirement. The problem is the current Iowa A.D. is a beta gelding like nowhere else in college sports, so, he’d have to be replaced before that happened.

Let's see, 20+yrs of essentially the same offense. No he has shown no signs of making the offense reach current schematics.

So you said either fire him or demote him. Again, I’m what world do you think that happens? Kirk has gone all in on this. To fire his son or demote him has got to come from Barta. And I don’t think he’s got the cahones to tell Kirk what to do.
Brian is not getting fired. Kirk is not retiring at the end of this season. Z is correct about that dynamic.

But BF could "accept" a demotion to OL coach, because that position is in crisis right now. The line improved but not enough. Absolutely need someone that can play right tackle. There's a serious problem at center if Myslinski isn't better than Jones. Brian was a good OL coach, and those guys are very undisciplined. The OL room could use some BF screaming anger.

That is the only realistic scenario that opens the door to a new OC. Although, to be fair BF has called good games, knows the analytics, etc... He's not the guy that runs past a blitzer. He's not the guy that misses the wide-open receivers. He doesn't drop catchable balls and he doesn't miss any blocks. This was the worst executing Iowa team in a long long time. How many hundreds of yards and dozens of first downs have been lost the last two seasons from wildly missed passes?​

Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT