ADVERTISEMENT

Would Obama Stop Protecting Israel at the UN?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
In the linked article a former Mossad head, and no softy on Iran, is strongly critical of Netanyahu - suggesting that Netanyahu's stance is harmful to Israel's security. Anonymous current people in Israel's security apparatus are upset that Netanyahu would get up Obama's nose on this by addressing Congress. And, naturally enough, Netanyahu's political opponents criticize him for trying to use the address to Congress to win the upcoming election.

One of the parts of this interesting article that caught my eye was the suggestion that if Netanyahu pisses off Obama enough, the US might stop protecting Israel at the UN.

For those who don't know, there are periodic resolutions proposed to condemn or sanction Israel for violations of various UN resolutions or charter requirements, for violations of human rights, and for war crimes. Some of them even have substantial merit and only die because of the US veto. But the US ALWAYS does veto such efforts. In addition, the US reliably does Israel's bidding on stalling cease fires and such when Israel has decided to mow the lawn a little, or a lot.

Point being, if the US simply doesn't exercise its veto, Israel would find itself in serious hot water very quickly. Let a couple of those puppies go through and suddenly nations around the world have "legal" permission to get very nasty toward Israel.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance Obama would let Netanyahu piss him off that much. It isn't just about Netanyahu, after all. But why would Netanyahu take that risk? Is he that sure Obama will be reasonable? Or does he think Obama is his poodle?

Guardian

Reactions: cigaretteman
Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
In the linked article a former Mossad head, and no softy on Iran, is strongly critical of Netanyahu - suggesting that Netanyahu's stance is harmful to Israel's security. Anonymous current people in Israel's security apparatus are upset that Netanyahu would get up Obama's nose on this by addressing Congress. And, naturally enough, Netanyahu's political opponents criticize him for trying to use the address to Congress to win the upcoming election.

One of the parts of this interesting article that caught my eye was the suggestion that if Netanyahu pisses off Obama enough, the US might stop protecting Israel at the UN.

For those who don't know, there are periodic resolutions proposed to condemn or sanction Israel for violations of various UN resolutions or charter requirements, for violations of human rights, and for war crimes. Some of them even have substantial merit and only die because of the US veto. But the US ALWAYS does veto such efforts. In addition, the US reliably does Israel's bidding on stalling cease fires and such when Israel has decided to mow the lawn a little, or a lot.

Point being, if the US simply doesn't exercise its veto, Israel would find itself in serious hot water very quickly. Let a couple of those puppies go through and suddenly nations around the world have "legal" permission to get very nasty toward Israel.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance Obama would let Netanyahu piss him off that much. It isn't just about Netanyahu, after all. But why would Netanyahu take that risk? Is he that sure Obama will be reasonable? Or does he think Obama is his poodle?

I think the best thing about what is going on is that Americans have an opportunity to take a good look at Israel and see what they are really all about. Doesn't mean we should not support them or have them as an ally, but Americans are often heard saying well Israel is like us, they are the only democracy in the ME therefore we need to give them our undying support. A closer look and one can see the difference between us and them. Its not that Obama is their poodle its that the USA has become their poodle. We need to be wary of Israel, not because they are Jews, but because they have a different form of government than we and a different agenda. Liberty for all is not one of their objectives. It is or should be one of ours.

This post was edited on 2/28 1:44 PM by wildcatdad

Originally posted by wildcatdad:

I think the best thing about what is going on is that Americans have an opportunity to take a good look at Israel and see what they are really all about. Doesn't mean we should not support them or have them as an ally, but Americans are often heard saying well Israel is like us, they are the only democracy in the ME therefore we need to give them our undying support. A closer look and one can see the difference between us and them. Its not that Obama is their poodle its that the USA has become their poodle. We need to be wary of Israel, not because they are Jews, but because they have a different form of government than we and a different agenda. Liberty for all is not one of their objectives. It is or should be one of ours.

Well if you had any Biblical knowledge. You would understand why it is in our best interest to support them. But I doubt you do.

Originally posted by Speedway1:

Well if you had any Biblical knowledge. You would understand why it is in our best interest to support them. But I doubt you do.

I attended religious school and know a little. But my family were religious before 1948. Israel is playing us like a fiddle.

Please explain. Some people here have talked about biblical prophesies leading to the end times and involving specific events centering on Israel. Is that what you are referencing? Could you clarify that for us (or clarify your point if that's not what you meant)? Thanks in advance.

Israel wouldn't care.

I would like for you to explain how the Bible has any effect on how this country should be conducting its business.

frabz-obama-you-my-nigga-f3ef8d.jpg

This article is from February of 2015, has the way Netanyahu engaged the U.S. / Obama administration changed at all now that the election is behind him?

Reactions: naturalmwa
Please explain. Some people here have talked about biblical prophesies leading to the end times and involving specific events centering on Israel. Is that what you are referencing? Could you clarify that for us (or clarify your point if that's not what you meant)? Thanks in advance.

Most references to Israel in the bible are not referring to the country Israel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT