ADVERTISEMENT

Would people please explain exactly what you expect?

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
Having read the many complaints about recruiting, lack of "emphasis" and defense, and everything but the ice cream at Carver. I thought instead of taking it on all post by post, as I have in the past, I'd just write a generic little ditty and offer to read respectful replies, without the responding posters getting any of my sometimes nasty little attitude. If I don't get it from someone first.

So. The big picture. At the start of the season McCaffery's program was .500 in the Big Ten, with ascending records in the first six years of:

4-14
8-10
9-9
9-9
12-6
12-6

The last three years we've been invited to the NCAA Tournament and we've had a record of 2-3 in said tournament.

That's the big picture. And, as I've mentioned a couple times lately, we are also one of only three Big Ten teams to BE invited to the NCAA Tournament the last three years. Us, and Michigan State, and Wisconsin. That leaves out such programs as:

Michigan
Indiana
Ohio State
And of course several others.

So, what is provoking some of these responses. And I'm not pointing at any one in particular, if you've got a gripe and feel I'm talking about you, that's on you. And if that does describe you, please answer me this:

Is Iowa not allowed to have a down year? And, why not?

Thanks.

Oh and, some of my thoughts. The only reason I put on the fools hat in the avatar was that I was dead wrong in believing we could put things together in just a few games. And as a result, I'll watch my preseason prediction of 20 wins dwindle further and further away until and if we get things together this season. I remain convinced we have the talent. And I will watch and wait, hoping we put things right the sooner rather than the later. And my expectations? Those are on me, I'm not going to complain because my hopes were too high.

I guess having so much talent in previous classes, causing a tough time in recruiting and leaving little playing time and no starting experience except for Jok, was harder on guys than I thought. A learning experience for me.

Now, it's Sunday, I'm going to bed and when I get up I'm removing this avatar and returning my old Herky to it's rightful place.

I'm beginning to imagine though still not quite there yet that my expectations were on the high side with this team. I still believe they can turn it around and still finish with 20 wins and a 12-6 B1G record but until this team commits to playing defense for at least 38 minutes each game I am likely to be disappointed record wise. I'm very surprised at Williams play. I have seen moments where he could play with anybody but far far too many minutes where he looks like he is expecting something other than what is happening right there in front of him. He looks to me to be playing scared. This in turn means true freshman Bohannon us learning on the job and has to take on the role of general without any experience at the D1 level .
Also logically then he will often defer to Jok instead of running an offense designed to find Him within the offense. Still unbelievable that he's not letting that effect his offense or in working to get the ball into effective post play. That aspect has been absent for most if not all of Fran' s years here. That's my early reason for being optimistic. So again until the focus on defense I'll just enjoy our growing team.

Williams does seem like he is playing scared and afraid to make a mistake. Or rather he is thinking way too much, instead of simply playing the game. Other than the overall defensive play of the team, which we all know is horrendous, CW's game is the biggest disappointment to me. Maybe now that he has lost his starting spot, he will drop his worries with every dribble and just play the game. That certainly did not happen yesterday. But I do not expect that to happen overnight...

As for the down year, that was expected for what we lost. Still, these guys should do some damage before the year is done. Too much talent not to.

Last edited:
Basketball can go up just as fast as it can go down. They will not win 20 games nor will the majority of D1 basketball. To think that is the norm at a Tier 2 program is unrealistic in todays world. The college basketball player is the equal to the "look at me WR" in college football. Mass transfers, AAU street agents, and the recruiting business are ruining college basketball as we know it.

Fran's classes coming in the next few years are loaded. His boys and the kid from Muscatine are silly good. Patience...Iowa is not an elite level program, but it is solid and being this young will produce inconsistent play this year.

I just want to see the team improve defensively. I've made 2 or 3 posts saying that I think the cavalry is coming next year and beyond so let's see who can play with those guys this year. I did not make any prediction on records because I believe this team will have several head scratching losses (yesterday) and will have some head turning wins.

Overall, just wanted to see improvement with the team and defense (obviously).

Oh and, some of my thoughts. The only reason I put on the fools hat in the avatar was that I was dead wrong in believing we could put things together in just a few games. And as a result, I'll watch my preseason prediction of 20 wins dwindle further and further away until and if we get things together this season. I remain convinced we have the talent. And I will watch and wait, hoping we put things right the sooner rather than the later. And my expectations? Those are on me, I'm not going to complain because my hopes were too high.

I guess having so much talent in previous classes, causing a tough time in recruiting and leaving little playing time and no starting experience except for Jok, was harder on guys than I thought. A learning experience for me.

Now, it's Sunday, I'm going to bed and when I get up I'm removing this avatar and returning my old Herky to it's rightful place.

Agree with everything you said Dan, except the part of "having the talent." The sophomore-junior classes have had plenty of opportunity to improve, and it's not happening. Could this group be better than it's played? Sure. But that doesn't mean it's an NCAA tournament roster. It's not. Goal for rest of year should be to improve and to get minutes on the court for the new guys. When they are joined by better players in coming years, that experience will pay off.

Rebuilding entails you have the necessary material to complete the process at some point. We have not had a "better than mediocre" PG since Fran has been here and despite having two seniors recently graduate allowing ample time to develop someone for a succession plan, Fran completely whiffed.

Uhl, Wagner, and Baer are the same player. No offense, limited athletically, undersized and other than hustle (Wagner and Baer) bring nothing to the table. These guys are role players who should be logging 10 minutes per game, but at Iowa they start / play major minutes.

I will give Bohannon credit for his shooting and a pass in other areas because he is a freshman and has been thrown into the fire. With that being said, we don't have a guard capable of staying in front of anyone. What do you expect to see in the next couple years out of Ellingson, Williams, and Dailey other than likely a transfer or two? Bohannon has potential, but is not a PG and needs help. A PG who can drive and kick would benefit Bohannon immensely, but again, we don't have one.

Cook and Pemsl have tremendous potential, but both will be plagued with foul trouble all year trying to defend bigger guys in the paint and stopping easy baskets when our perimeter guys get left in the dust. Too early to tell about Moss and Kriener. No worries, next year we have 3 guys coming that do nothing to move the needle athletically, give us an enhanced interior presence or PG help.

I hope I am wrong and later this year or next you can pull this from gthe archives and tell me how wrong I was. Unfortunately I do not think that scenario is likely to unfold.

Reactions: depelland
Don't expect victory vs ISU
Don't expect BIG 10 title
Don't expect NCAA berth
Don't expect NIT
DO EXPECT to see some major improvement from last night's game till the final game. Especially on defense. and with the underclassmen.

Prepare for 2017-18.
This...This is exactly what it will be.....enjoy the entertainment and quit trying to pick it apart

as you know Dan I'm not one who gets into predictions & very little into expectations...I don't know maybe its my way of shielding myself from disappointment (like being 3-5)...who knows what the remaining 23 games prior to BTT will bring...unfortunately it doesn't look good.

I am surprised how terrible this team has played on defense ... In the end..to give up 90+ points in 4 of the last 5 games in the 90'....my land I don't recall an Iowa team this lacking. I guess I'm more surprised its taking this long to show a hint of improvement. Without knowing why...I'm going to suggest its a combination of everything.

I do think a lineup of Bohannon/Moss/Jok/Cook/Pemsl has talent..especially on offense BUT it isn't good enough to overcome the lack of D. My expectations for the remainder of the year? I don't have any...good or bad.

Reactions: DanL53
Williams does seem like he is playing scared and afraid to make a mistake. Or rather he is thinking way too much, instead of simply playing the game. Other than the overall defensive play of the team, which we all know is horrendous, CW's game is the biggest disappointment to me. Maybe now that he has lost his starting spot, he will drop his worries with every dribble and just play the game. That certainly did not happen yesterday. But I do not expect that to happen overnight...

As for the down year, that was expected for what we lost. Still, these guys should do some damage before the year is done. Too much talent not to.

I do believe we have at least a couple guys who are indeed struggling .. which it appears they are playing not to make mistakes...

as you know Dan I'm not one who gets into predictions & very little into expectations...I don't know maybe its my way of shielding myself from disappointment (like being 3-5)...who knows what the remaining 23 games prior to BTT will bring...unfortunately it doesn't look good.

I am surprised how terrible this team has played on defense ... In the end..to give up 90+ points in 4 of the last 5 games in the 90'....my land I don't recall an Iowa team this lacking. I guess I'm more surprised its taking this long to show a hint of improvement. Without knowing why...I'm going to suggest its a combination of everything.

I do think a lineup of Bohannon/Moss/Jok/Cook/Pemsl has talent..especially on offense BUT it isn't good enough to overcome the lack of D. My expectations for the remainder of the year? I don't have any...good or bad.

That's the new path I'm taking Bob. For me, it's fun to predict and play couch coach. Probably fun because I don't take myself seriously about it. I know Fran would coach rings around me in his sleep. So would Margaret! Not so sure but that his kid Jack would as well. Well, maybe not, I mean I have all this Fantasy Basketball experience of six weeks.

In the end, for me, as long as I'm having fun, I'm a follower of Iowa basketball and I have been for all but three years of the last 45-46. Fran provides no off the court issues like UCLAlford, so I won't be taking any breaks while he's here. And, frankly I can't recall too many times we were in better shape than now in my post-puberty years as a fan. Olson, after he righted the ship. Dr. Tom with Raveling's guys. That's it.

It isn't Pro-ball where you get to draft sooner the less you win. It's a rigged system for several reasons and certainly in many cases a true "good guys vs bad guys" scenario. We had the #1 Academic All-American in Uthoff last season! (By the way, at least we're not hearing too many complaints about Woody and Gesell this year. :) ) No, this year, when we play Illinois we are going to see some college guys on our side that the worse anyone can say is Jok spent some time being dumb on a moped, playing against a team with a guy who less than a year ago pulled a knife on a bouncer in a bar!!! And that isn't the only example I could give!

We've got a good coach who has drawn to dead even in six years of trying to improve in the Big Ten. Probably going to take a step back this year. If that's the worse of our problems we, imo, have nothing to complain about.

Reactions: Ree4
That's the new path I'm taking Bob. For me, it's fun to predict and play couch coach. Probably fun because I don't take myself seriously about it. I know Fran would coach rings around me in his sleep. So would Margaret! Not so sure but that his kid Jack would as well. Well, maybe not, I mean I have all this Fantasy Basketball experience of six weeks.

In the end, for me, as long as I'm having fun, I'm a follower of Iowa basketball and I have been for all but three years of the last 45-46. Fran provides no off the court issues like UCLAlford, so I won't be taking any breaks while he's here. And, frankly I can't recall too many times we were in better shape than now in my post-puberty years as a fan. Olson, after he righted the ship. Dr. Tom with Raveling's guys. That's it.

It isn't Pro-ball where you get to draft sooner the less you win. It's a rigged system for several reasons and certainly in many cases a true "good guys vs bad guys" scenario. We had the #1 Academic All-American in Uthoff last season! (By the way, at least we're not hearing too many complaints about Woody and Gesell this year. :) ) No, this year, when we play Illinois we are going to see some college guys on our side that the worse anyone can say is Jok spent some time being dumb on a moped, playing against a team with a guy who less than a year ago pulled a knife on a bouncer in a bar!!! And that isn't the only example I could give!

We've got a good coach who has drawn to dead even in six years of trying to improve in the Big Ten. Probably going to take a step back this year. If that's the worse of our problems we, imo, have nothing to complain about.
You bring up a good point about Academic All Americas. If I'm not mistaken, we had 3 guys with all-B1G academia mention: MG, JU, and Woody. These guys were wired to pick up things quicker.

Expectations for me were .500 but have to admit that may be a little high given the lack of defense. I think this is issue with coaching, several players on the perimeter that don't guard week (bohanon, Ellington and jok for sure) and the some of the combinations that end up on the floor together. I also think Fran's reluctance to play Williams last year is realign causing problems now and pushing bohanon faster than he should be.
Fran also does not develop players very well. Remember that Woodbury and Gesellschaft were pretty highly rated and they were pretty similar players after four years. Some will argue that Jok is very good this year, but remember he was a very high level recruit as high school junior but injury pushed away the blue bloods and then he took awhile to get back as well as having some issues with ask that earlier in his career. And he still is lazy on defense. Uhl has not developed either after flashing some promise as a feshmen
Fran also struggles to coach in game especially last four minutes of games. Next years recruits are the answer. Don't forget , Connor is wanting to play baseball which will not allow for all the development time for basketball.
Fran is good guy and pretty decent fit for the program, but I don't think he will be able to consistently have Iowa at top of conference or NCAA more than 3 out 5 years, so that means we are ready for the down year in my estimation,

Props to the OP for trying to start a meaningful thread. I agree with him completely. This is a complete rebuilding year and we play a schedule and in a conference in which rebuilders (from the bottom up, like us) are fish food for most of the teams we play. I just hope we keep learning and improving, and getting seriously-good new recruits in future years. I do think Fran has mistakenly taken far too many project players (bottom third-plus of our roster), and that has to stop. Not naming names, but we have about five guys who would be lucky to start at Drake or Kirkwood, and I am dead serious. Does anyone really think that some of our deepest reserves could be in the active rotation for Omaha? Just look at some of the players who have left the program in recent years and take notice of their struggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagicCoach

oh I agree I realize all the issues out there..
...however for us it wasnt rigged yesterday...very disappointed our guys couldn't hold Omaha below 98. We are better & more talented then that. Need to start showing it.

Fran said they are 10 games into this when you throw in exhibition games and it's not getting better and he's never had a team like that in his coaching career (and he's been coaching for a while)

I thought we'd be in the 16 win area. I thought we'd be good and terrible all wrapped into one.

This seems to hold water.

Reactions: DanL53
Not an excuse, the injuries for Jones and Cook probably affected things as well so early on the season. I will call it the Iowa basketball curse since FB can use it as an excuse. Coaches can guide and teach players; however, it's still up to the players themselves to put forth the effort. All the arm-chair coaches and trolls can hit the "gong" and cried out for a new coach all they want, in the end, we cannot change those biases. Just enjoy the show, even if the critics are out more than usual raving against it this year.

On a side note, I saw ISU against Cinncinatti in person, they do not impressed me. ISU is small but experience with good guards; however, I think IA has a very good chance of winning Thursday, esp when the last 4 losses should put some fire into them playing better.

Not an excuse, the injuries for Jones and Cook probably affected things as well so early on the season. I will call it the Iowa basketball curse since FB can use it as an excuse. Coaches can guide and teach players; however, it's still up to the players themselves to put forth the effort. All the arm-chair coaches and trolls can hit the "gong" and cried out for a new coach all they want, in the end, we cannot change those biases. Just enjoy the show, even if the critics are out more than usual raving against it this year.

On a side note, I saw ISU against Cinncinatti in person, they do not impressed me. ISU is small but experience with good guards; however, I think IA has a very good chance of winning Thursday, esp when the last 4 losses should put some fire into them playing better.

I am looking forward to when Cook gets back and how the Cook/Pemsl duo do together..I have no doubt that Omaha would of had a hard time dealing with both of them..

Apparently there was a team player only meeting after the game yesterday...I'm pretty sure the fact of poor defense & lack of rebounding has probably caught all of them by surprise after 8 games in...I mean they probably didn't think they could hang their hat on it as a strength...but not this bad.

To me this isn't about enjoying the show or understanding taking a step back...its about getting better & enjoying that aspect...I anticipated seeing such yesterday...I anticipated wrong. Stetson game is next up.

Last edited:
Having read the many complaints about recruiting, lack of "emphasis" and defense, and everything but the ice cream at Carver. I thought instead of taking it on all post by post, as I have in the past, I'd just write a generic little ditty and offer to read respectful replies, without the responding posters getting any of my sometimes nasty little attitude. If I don't get it from someone first.

So. The big picture. At the start of the season McCaffery's program was .500 in the Big Ten, with ascending records in the first six years of:

4-14
8-10
9-9
9-9
12-6
12-6

The last three years we've been invited to the NCAA Tournament and we've had a record of 2-3 in said tournament.

That's the big picture. And, as I've mentioned a couple times lately, we are also one of only three Big Ten teams to BE invited to the NCAA Tournament the last three years. Us, and Michigan State, and Wisconsin. That leaves out such programs as:

Michigan
Indiana
Ohio State

So, what is provoking some of these responses. And I'm not pointing at any one in particular, if you've got a gripe and feel I'm talking about you, that's on you. And if that does describe you, please answer me this:

Thanks.
I expect to be in the NCAA every year..

I expect to be in the NCAA every year..

well its not going to happen...not every year anyway....I wouldn't take it personally either. We are not an elite program when it comes to recruiting and we don't play in some run of the mill conference.

so lets see 14 B1G schools..how many make it on average? 7?

ya terrific goal for the players to reach every year...that is... for them. As fans we have the convenience of sitting back and watching it unfold...and ya even bitching about when it doesn't happen.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
Going into the season I figured we might go one or two games over .500 I still think that is possible.

I expect that by year 7 you can put a team on the floor than can hold UNO to less than 98 points.

We can no longer blame Lickliter for our struggles.

Reactions: skydog0784
It's hard to predict but I was thinking 16-18 win territory and maybe an NIT berth.. I didn't expect this team to start out so poorly but maybe they'll learn to play serviceable D and still have a respectable year.

Not looking promising right now, but as always, it'll be much easier to evaluate this season once it's over rather than 8 games in.

Last year and two years before that looked great in January and look how it ended up.. So again, you can't judge a season by the first third, or even the first two thirds.

It's a long season and a lot can still happen. Let's hope a light bulb comes on at some point.

I did not think they'd make the NCAAs.
I did think they'd win 16-17 and have a good shot to make the NIT.

The lack of defense and rebounding is the most disappointing aspect of their play so far.

I'm not as convinced of the talent level being up to the task.

It will be interesting to see how players and the team progress. Or not.

The lack of defense is a problem. Defense is a function of playing hard and paying attention. The youngsters need to significantly improve their play on that end.

Have to agree that Ellingson and Uhl are not net plus players. Absent significant shooting improvement Ahmed the Terrible is fairly limited; much too short to play inside against most of the opposition Iowa has to defeat to succeed in the B1G.

Cook and Pemsyl will take most of the 4/5 minutes as the season progresses. They just are significantly better than Uhl and Wagner. Four of the five best players are freshmen. They will improve significantly this year but for now they're just building scores to settle.

Me:
1. Hustle every play. Play like every possession matters
2. Play the best players based on game performance. Not how many shots they hit in practice with managers and no one in their face. This has been a consistent problem with Fran. To argue otherwise is crazy. Get kreiner some minutes and take some from ellingson. He played the last four minutes another of frans departures from reality.
3. Learn how to coach at the end of games. As I said in another thread we play the end of games unlike any other team I watch. And not in a good way. Fran finally subbed offense for defense at the 30 second mark. He is consistently lost at the end of games or his philosophy is a basketball abomination.

Otherwise I'm ok with what Fran has been doing. Yah I would like better recruits but I really like this freshman class.

I expect that by year 7 you can put a team on the floor than can hold UNO to less than 98 points.

For sure that's true, and it would be great were it an anomaly and Nebraska-Omaha some kind of "super sleeper" in the NCAA Grand Scheme of Things. Since that doesn't appear to be the case, it is what it is I guess.

I'm not on the "Fran is on the hot seat" bandwagon, I just want us to do better. I've long ago tired of Kirk Ferentz's "clock killing first and foremost" mentality, but I like Fran for the most part, warts and all, which most Coaches have.

4-14
8-10
9-9
9-9
12-6
12-6

Michigan
Indiana
Ohio State

Thanks.
Win or lose, I expect the team to look well coached

4-14
8-10
9-9
9-9
12-6
12-6

Michigan
Indiana
Ohio State

Thanks.
Win or lose, I expect the team to look well coached,well prepared, disciplined and like they have played the game before..

then again in year 2 3 4 5 6 five straight post season...3 straight NCAA. So its not like nothing was accomplished after Lick was replaced. Iowa doesn't recruit the talent to experience elite status or even Top25...year in year out ..doesn't matter if year 7.

I do agree the 98 against Omaha was really disappointing .... I have a hard time justifying that....well no there is no justification. Just bad..hopefully even in the worse of times something can be gained from such a poor performance.

4-14
8-10
9-9
9-9
12-6
12-6

Michigan
Indiana
Ohio State

Thanks.

Let's just see how the season plays out. After Iowa's first exhibition game last year, most people were prophesying complete doom and gloom. I think a lot of Wisconsin fans at this time last year were giving up on their season too.

You just never know.

What we do know right now is the team is comprised of many young guys who aren't playing well defensively. I think most reasonably sane people knew this team would struggle, especially out of the gate. Although, to be honest, I never anticipated defense being this much of an issue.

This is likely a down year, but people need to buck up, because Top 100 players will keep filtering in over the next three years to add to a bunch of young guys who will get better. This is just one of those years Iowa is going to take it on the chin.

Let's just see how the season plays out. After Iowa's first exhibition game last year, most people were prophesying complete doom and gloom. I think a lot of Wisconsin fans at this time last year were giving up on their season too.

You just never know.

What we do know right now is the team is comprised of many young guys who aren't playing well defensively. I think most reasonably sane people knew this team would struggle, especially out of the gate. Although, to be honest, I never anticipated defense being this much of an issue.

This is likely a down year, but people need to buck up, because Top 100 players will keep filtering in over the next three years to add to a bunch of young guys who will get better. This is just one of those years Iowa is going to take it on the chin.

in general I agree with you ... better days ahead. However we are now 8 games in (7 prior to Omaha) ..not after an exhibition loss (such as last year). So time to buck up. I understand this may be a down year ... but still have to play the games....I believe in the coach & the talent we do have that we can do a lot better than we have.

in general I agree with you ... better days ahead. However we are now 8 games in (7 prior to Omaha) ..not after an exhibition loss (such as last year). So time to buck up. I understand this may be a down year ... but still have to play the games....I believe in the coach & the talent we do have that we can do a lot better than we have.

Yes, absolutely, we should expect to see improvement. The effort on defense is completely unacceptable.

I'm just not going to lose my poop if the team doesn't finish good enough to get an NIT invite this season and race over to the "Fire Fran!" camp.

well its not going to happen...not every year anyway....I wouldn't take it personally either. We are not an elite program when it comes to recruiting and we don't play in some run of the mill conference.

so lets see 14 B1G schools..how many make it on average? 7?

ya terrific goal for the players to reach every year...that is... for them. As fans we have the convenience of sitting back and watching it unfold...and ya even bitching about when it doesn't happen.

Agree. When teams are bottom feeders they don't stay there forever. At some point they have their years as well and have to replace them with someone in the cellar. This year Rutgers, Minnesota, NW look to be much improved and Iowa is going to be the one to fall behind to the bottom rung. Iowa just needs to make sure it doesn't become long term like Lick did. I expect them to make it this year and then big improvement next year (from last to about 8th) and in 2 years top 6 in conference. If Iowa is again a bottom feeder next year then I think we saw peak Fran and what he is capable of. I'd say his seat will be warm.

Agree. When teams are bottom feeders they don't stay there forever. At some point they have their years as well and have to replace them with someone in the cellar. This year Rutgers, Minnesota, NW look to be much improved and Iowa is going to be the one to fall behind to the bottom rung. Iowa just needs to make sure it doesn't become long term like Lick did. I expect them to make it this year and then big improvement next year (from last to about 8th) and in 2 years top 6 in conference. If Iowa is again a bottom feeder next year then I think we saw peak Fran and what he is capable of. I'd say his seat will be warm.

Minnesota & NW are much improved...have not see Rutgers.

This team will be a lot better by the end of the season. Individually many of the players have a lot of talent but they haven't put it all together yet. Get better and give 'em hell late in the year.

Year 7 has nothing to do with it. Basketball rosters turn over all the time. For all but the elite of teams, there will be down years. Teams that don't get elite-level talent will have up cycles, followed by a downturn while the next batch of players get experience. Iowa losing to UNO isn't a reflection on just this year, it's a reflection on the poor recruiting of previous 3 years. If Fran is here another 10 years. Iowa will make the NCAA tournament anywhere between 5 and 8 of those years.

And no one is blaming Lickliter. The damage to the program was real and severe, as it cratered the program to the point where it took Fran 2 years just to get Iowa competitive. But this year's struggles have nothing to do with Lickliter. All on Fran for not recruiting well enough. Over the next 3 years. he has landed Garza, Nunge, Conor Mc., Wieskamp, Patric Mc. Add those 5 to the freshmen this year, plus a couple more good players and you have a really good team.

Reactions: ZumaHawk and DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT