ADVERTISEMENT

Would you ever get these logos confused?

IowaPackFan

HB Heisman
Dec 30, 2006
xfl-togethxr-750x422.png

XFL hit with cease-and-desist by media company founded by Sue Bird, others over similar logo

It’s just a “W” though. Aren’t there rules for common letters and words? Like it has to be very bad.
There’s are only so many ways to write a letter. At the end of the day they have to have similarities.

It’s just a “W” though. Aren’t there rules for common letters and words? Like it has to be very bad.
I believe Waukee got a cease and desist letter from Wisconsin for using the motion 'W' as they called it. Same thing happened to Okoboji and their use of the Oregon 'O'.

Pretty common.

I’m not a patent/trademark attorney but it is my understanding that the holder of a trademark has to aggressively protect it to avoid claims that they’ve abandoned exclusivity rights.

Many moons ago when my father was in the newspaper business, he told me a story that Coca-Cola sent a cease and desist to the Telegraph-Herald in Dubuque for its use of “coke” (referring to cocaine) in a story. “Coke” is a registered trademark and Coca-Cola was protecting its intellectual property rights.

Apparently, Coca-Cola employed a full team to read newspaper and magazine stories every day to look for references to “coke.”

There’s a reason why high-end patent/trademark attorneys bill $1,000+ per hour. Highly technical area of the law … I wouldn’t pretend to know what constitutes an infringement and what doesn’t. I never thought that So. Miss.’s logo looked like Iowa’s Tiger Hawk but … Iowa won that dispute. When you think of how much the Tiger Hawk logo is worth to the U of Iowa, you can understand the aggressive effort to protect exclusivity.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Pella High School just changed its logo because Purdue said that they couldn't use their old one any more. Surprised that they had let them use it as long as they had.

Pella Schools

In March of 2021 a project was created to look at PCSD branding and to develop a brand package for the District. Shortly after that project kicked off, PCSD hired Rickabaugh Graphics out of Ohio to guide us through this process. Rickabaugh Graphics, who has also worked with high schools and colleges such as Dallas Center Grimes, Ohio State University and the University of Iowa, recommended that PCSD get permission from Purdue University before building a brand package around the “Motion P.” Purdue University’s legal counsel informed us that we could no longer use the “Motion P” logo on any profit-generating items moving forward.

This prompted the Pella Schools Branding Committee to begin researching and developing some options for a new P logo. Twenty-two P logos were created by Rickabaugh Graphics and then altered and narrowed down by the Pella Branding Committee before being sent out to a vote to various stakeholders involved with Pella Schools. During this process over 1,500 votes were submitted to lead us to our new P logo (below). Once the P-logo was finalized, the committee began to seek input from stakeholders to develop a brand package around the new P logo.

A couple words that kept coming to the surface during these meetings were “heritage” and “tradition.” Rickabaugh Graphics and the Pella Branding Committee researched Dutch heritage to ensure the new brand package offered a logo and options that reflected the tradition and heritage of both Pella and the Dutch. After many small-group and one-on-one meetings with stakeholders, the committee decided to move forward with a logo that represents one of the historic windmills in Pella (below).

The goal of this project from the beginning was to create a brand package that was unique to Pella Schools and that would allow us to be consistent with our brand moving forward. When the finalized Pella Schools brand guide is complete, it will be shared out. Some parts of the brand package are below.

pella_community_school_district_notag.png
emblem-Purdue-University.jpg

It has been well documented that IC City High's logo was approved by the U.

What surprises me is that their name is still "Little Hawks". Would have thought someone would have gotten around to changing that by now.

I believe Waukee got a cease and desist letter from Wisconsin for using the motion 'W' as they called it. Same thing happened to Okoboji and their use of the Oregon 'O'.

Pretty common.
Wisconsin got Williamsburg, too. I'm amazed K State hasn't hit CR Kennedy yet.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Wisconsin got Williamsburg, too. I'm amazed K State hasn't hit CR Kennedy yet.

It is my understanding that some colleges/universities simply enter into a licensing contract and charge a licensing fee/ to the high school. Given the proliferation of logo attire that high schools sell to raise money, I wonder whether colleges/universities have upped the licensing fees and how those contracts are structured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT