ADVERTISEMENT

Would you have rather had OUR season or VIRGINIA’s season?

I'd take Virginia's season over ISU's any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a no brainer. I seriously can't even believe that this is a question for some people.

No kiddin'. The short bus riders are well represented in this thread.

Virginia, no contest. Although Virginia and its fans are horribly disappointed, they know for a fact they have a good team and will again next year. Us Iowa fans have no idea what will have next year. Will our defense still be the worst in the land, will we be able to defend any guard with any type of speed, will we have a player that can actually penetrate on offense and create for others?

I get that this is a demoralizing loss. A gut punch. A long shot.

But, the team they played at least made the tournament. They lost to a team that qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

So, while it looks horrific, I don't see it as the worst loss of all time, like some do.

All i heard about the Cavs coming into the tourney was how people feared their offense wasn't good enough. Esp if they got down by double digits. It happened and they lost.

I am a lifelong, die hard Hawkeye fan who also happens to have held UVA season tickets for the last 12 years. I can say that Friday night in Charlottesville ranks right up there with the worst Hawkeye NCAA collapses, going back to the early exit against Wichita State in '81, NW Louisiana in 2006, and all those in between. The historic nature of the loss against a 16 seed will sting forever, especially after the dominance of the ACC season and tournament. An absolute heart breaker. And just so it's clear, I have never wavered in my support for the Hawks, and was rooting hard against UVA when they met last season, and a few years back in the NIT.

With that background, and having followed both teams very closely this season, I can say without reservation that winning is better, and I'd rather see Iowa win 32 games and a conference championship, and flame out early, rather than lose one blowout after another and hear the fans endlessly squawk about the coach and the players who have chosen to be Hawkeyes.

This was a really tough year to be a Hawkeye hoops fan, and all things considered, an amazing year to be a UVA fan, Friday's fiasco notwithstanding.

Having witnessed my team, ISU, lose as a 2 vs. 15 and a 3 vs. 14, I would say without a doubt that I would take those seasons over the one I just witnessed. You have a day that you’re just pissed off when the upset happens, then you remind yourself that only one team wins the tournament, it obviously wasn’t going to be you, and everything else is consolation. Then you still have some of the great regular season wins and players to remember. Versus sucking all year and still not winning a tournament game.

Reactions: mrcyfan
Two different kinds of pain (as expressed by Doodle). Both hurt, but Virginia players, coaches and fans just got a gut punch that's going to hurt for ever. I'm still sick about the '70 Hawks and Pembroke Burrows III. Still sick about the '86 Hawks loss to UNLV.

87 UNLV still hurts, but I enjoyed the 86-87 season much more than this year and wouldn't trade it. oP is a dumb question - if take UVA's season in a heartbeat over ours.

Iowa hasn’t won a B1G regular season title in forever or a tourney championship in what? 10 years? I’d take UVA’s season w/o a doubt due to winning both those titles and the knowledge of being good next year.

Who knows? UVA might win it all next year to ease the pain of this history making loss.

Iowa? It’s been painful for far too many years with all the mediocre seasons.

That is more pathetic that anything I’ve ever seen in college basketball...

You must not have ever attend game in Carver during Lickliter's last season in Iowa City.

EP-302039962.jpg

Reactions: HemiHawk
Iowa hasn't seen an elite 8 in 30 years! They haven't seen a final four in 40 years! They have only been to the sweet 16 twice in 30 years!

Ya I would easily lean towards having Virginia's season

I would much rather have a great season and conf championship with a slip up in the tourney than the crappy season we just had with no tourney. A 16 was going to beat a 1 someday and it finally happened end of story. That's part of what makes the tourney so much fun. I'm actually glad a 16 finally beat a 1.

Everyone thinks this until you get there and have that happen. Keep in mind how heightened expectations would be at that point for us as fans heading into an opening matchup with mighty UMBC.

I still remember the deep pain of NW LA State or whoever the freak they were. Blowing an 18 point lead in both halves no less. That was a MASSIVE gut punch with a freaking 3 seed the likes we almost never see! Alford did some bad things during his tenure but we’ve never fully recovered from that loss and have never got back to that kind of seed again.

Alford kind of turned losing to a 13 seed into a habit!

The Associated Press was sufficiently impressed by UVA's season to name Tony Bennett the national coach of the year. It's clear what those voters would choose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT