ADVERTISEMENT

Would you support packing the courts?

Would support the democrats packing the courts if a Trump supreme court nominee was confirmed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the Dems pack the courts and add state’s just to control the senate they’ll definitely lose my vote.
Bye, Felicia ;).

It’s a full on war now. Republicans put hypocrisy above democracy. DC and Puerto Rico are larger than other US states. Time to welcome them and their new Senators in. I realize Republicans will fight it because it’s more blacks and Hispanics, but it’s time to streamroll them.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
No, to preserve Ginsburg’s legacy and wishes, it should remain at 9. If the Democrats increase it, I wouldn’t be particularly upset by it, though. Trump and the vast majority of his supporters don’t have any integrity anyway.

Bye, Felicia ;).

It’s a full on war now. Republicans put hypocrisy above democracy. DC and Puerto Rico are larger than other US states. Time to welcome them and their new Senators in. I realize Republicans will fight it because it’s more blacks and Hispanics, but it’s time to streamroll them.
That’ll be great for the country. When the tide turns...and it will. I wonder what the Republicans will cram through.

not good for the country IMO

Bye, Felicia ;).

You seem upset. You ok?

Bye, Felicia ;).

Pricelessly stuff here.

Go Che go.

That’ll be great for the country. When the tide turns...and it will. I wonder what the Republicans will cram through.

not good for the country IMO

I'm with you, but the republican party (or the shell that remains) is already playing by these rules and we have a government being run by a minority acting like a majority with a mandate. If the democrats keep unilaterally disarming, we're not going to have much of a country left. The Republicans are doing whatever they can for power, not for the long term interests of the country. I don't know what the solution is, but something needs to be done.

They don’t care about the good of the country. But adding DC and Puerto Rico are net positives for the country.
I’ve always supported statehood for Puerto Rico but they’ve had several votes on the subject in PR and voted it down. Not sure that will change.

DC is problematic...

On principle no. Lifetime appointments are the bigger issue.

I’m a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Dems pack the court, it’ll just set off a chain of packing next time R’s have the Senate.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I'm with you, but the republican party (or the shell that remains) is already playing by these rules and we have a government being run by a minority acting like a majority with a mandate. If the democrats keep unilaterally disarming, we're not going to have much of a country left. The Republicans are doing whatever they can for power, not for the long term interests of the country. I don't know what the solution is, but something needs to be done.
This type of hyperbolic BS is everything whats wrong with they system. Not being able to see that both sides are completely rotten is a problem.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I am tired of both parties trying to adjust the system to their benefit. There should be a level playing field for all sides. Also, both sides need to show some integrity. If they do not, we need to vote them out of office instead of throwing up our hands or complaining. We the people need to take back the power.

This type of hyperbolic BS is everything whats wrong with they system. Not being able to see that both sides are completely rotten is a problem.

Both sides. Nice. I said nothing about the merit of the democrats. Simply calling out the truth regarding the current GOP and its promotion of power over principle. They've abandoned conservativism in favor of Trump and power. There's no debate left on that one, especially after the convention.

To expect the Democrats to not respond is as silly as thinking that McConnell will not try to fill this seat. The Democrats have an actual majority in this country. They're going to, and should, use that power if the republicans keep acting like they're a majority just because the system allows them minority rule.

(For reference, I've never been a member of either party and have split my votes between them. I will not, however, consider voting for any republican until everyone associated with Trump is gone...if that ever happens.)

It's not both parties. It's Republicans over and over and they keep blaming Dems so people agree it's both sides. It's not.

The GOP will continue to escalate no matter what. The only question is will the majority of the country get their views heard or remain silenced.

Each time the Dems regain control and add enough justices to swing the balance back in their favor

No. Otherwise we'll have a 29 justice SCOTUS within a decade.

Instead, I support 18 year terms. Every president gets to pick 2 (or 4 if reelected) during his/her presidency , or can replace any justice who fails to serve a full 18 year term.
I heard a guy talk about this yesterday and I think I agree with him. Why does a lower court have - and you picked the exact number - 29 judges on it and the SC only 9? He said the more judges you have on the court the less ONE DEATH MATTERS. He said the Dems aren't thinking big enough. Add 10. Then if the Republicans gain power and add 10 more so what. Unless it was something MAJOR, when cases were presented they would do like they do in the lower courts, assign cases to a few of them so the plaintiffs would never know who they were going to get, which might keep them from bringing cases before the SC. Right now it is pretty damn political and you can almost guess which way a case is going to go before hand based on who appointed the judges.

Stack away, Democrats. Why should the Republicans be the only party allowed to play dirty. I'm over it. Add 10.

Last edited:
Elections have consequences and, unfortunately, the country is getting what we deserve. Assuming Biden wins and the Senate flips Dem, there will be ab opportunity to start to rebalance the court next year. There has been some talk of Clarence Thomas retiring soon. I am guessing Stephen Breyer will probably be replaced by the winner of this year's election as well. Everyone else is relatively young and seemingly healthy.

I would, the Republicans have shown that they have no principles. They won't even hold to their own precedent they set 4 years ago.

Why should the Dems operate as though there are unwritten rules left? Republicans threw them all out.

I don’t think packing the court is necessary, but if the Dems do it I would support it. What really needs to happen is voter reform - making Election Day a federal holiday, automatic voter registration upon turning 18, passing legislation to prevent Republican voter suppression tactics, making electoral votes proportionate to a state’s population, etc. Then expand the House and give DC and Puerto Rico representation in the Senate. Right now, the system is heavily tilted in favor of the minority. It’s well past time to fix that.

Last edited:
It is worth a look at what Republicans have done at the state level to pack courts and to strip power from Democrat governors as well. Let's not pretend like the Democrats would be first actors here. Look inward Republicans.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I heard a guy talk about this yesterday and I think I agree with him. Why does a lower court have - and you picked the exact number - 29 judges on it and the SC only 9. He said the more judges you have on the court the less ONE DEATH MATTERS. He said the Dems aren't thinking big enough. Add 10. Then if the Republicans gain power and add 10 more so what. Unless it was something MAJOR, when cases were presented they would do like they do in the lower courts, assign cases to a few of them so the plaintiffs would never know who they were going to get, which might keep them from bringing cases before the SC. Right now it is pretty damn political and you can almost guess which way a case is going to go before hand based on who appointed the judges.

Stack away, Democrats. Why should the Republicans be the only party allowed to play dirty. I'm over it. Add 10.

I get what you’re saying as far as criticality in replacing a justice when there are 29.

How would cases be heard at the Supreme Court if there were 29 justices? Currently, just a handful of the 29 justices at the District Courts hear a case. I may be wrong, but I think it was three?

I get what you’re saying as far as criticality in replacing a justice when there are 29.

How would cases be heard at the Supreme Court if there were 29 justices? Currently, just a handful of the 29 justices at the District Courts hear a case. I may be wrong, but I think it was three?
Yep. That's precisely what the guy was saying. You wouldn't KNOW the court was going to be in your favor when a political case was tried because you wouldn't now what 3 justices you would have. It might drop the number of cases. I am almost positive you are right and it is 3 who hear those cases.

Again, he said if the Republicans wanted to retaliate back with 10 justices, he couldn't care less.

Bye, Felicia ;).

There is a reason DC was carved out and not a part of a State. No way they should get statehood, it gives those Senators too much advantage, too much power.

There is a reason DC was carved out and not a part of a State. No way they should get statehood, it gives those Senators too much advantage, too much power.
Too bad. It’s going to be on the table if a judge is confirmed before the inauguration when Biden wins. Republicans asked for it. Time to return to a republic more resembling a democracy.

I heard a guy talk about this yesterday and I think I agree with him. Why does a lower court have - and you picked the exact number - 29 judges on it and the SC only 9? He said the more judges you have on the court the less ONE DEATH MATTERS. He said the Dems aren't thinking big enough. Add 10. Then if the Republicans gain power and add 10 more so what. Unless it was something MAJOR, when cases were presented they would do like they do in the lower courts, assign cases to a few of them so the plaintiffs would never know who they were going to get, which might keep them from bringing cases before the SC. Right now it is pretty damn political and you can almost guess which way a case is going to go before hand based on who appointed the judges.

Because SCOTUS has discretionary jurisdiction (i.e. it can pick and chose which cases it will grant cert) and federal appellate courts don’t have that limitation to jurisdiction. Essentially, COA have a much larger case load

You damn right. pack the courts. If allowed? isn't that what being in power is about. Winners right history. Shove everything you can down the republicans throat and out their a$$.

Reactions: Tom Paris
You damn right. pack the courts. If allowed? isn't that what being in power is about. Winners right history. Shove everything you can down the republicans throat and out their a$$.

Kids in DC and kids all over this board

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT