ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldja? (Seoul food edition)

source.gif

I am typically a very adventurous eater. This? NO F------G WAY.

(P.S. you HAVE to click the play button for the full effect)
Well, not only would...but actually I have had that. Funniest moment was when one of the little tentacles got stuck to my lower lip. Was not that bad to be honest.

Now, the rotted pork specialty course that followed was the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. Required a LOT of Soju to get it down. The hangover the next day was the worst part of the whole experience.

What are we going to do with all this maggot infested ground beef? Eh, just tell them its Tar-Tar with live squids.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
For Survivor, CBS used to have a food eating competition - they'd bring in various local delicacies and the competition was about eating their selection the fastest. Easily the grossest Reward/Immunity challenge they ever did, and I'm glad they haven't done it for several years now.

Reactions: jasonrann
I've spent a lot of time in Seoul... I'd guess I've been there for over 40 days and nights total. Never seen this. Don't really care to see this. I've heard all about live squid and live octopus in Japan and Korea, but never mixed with raw ground beef.

Oh yah I would be all over that. Only thing I would never try would be super hot stuff, dogs, bats, rats/mice and humans.

Yes, sure. Never had live squid but I would like to try it. How about you @FSUTribe76 ?

I’m not afraid of super fresh seafood. As a matter of fact a million years ago when I was interning with the Department of State, Office of International Relations we had a full 13+ course meal with the Chinese Consul General and Chinese Ambassador where I was allowed to attend at the same table as them where it was a large round table for 22+ people with a lazy Susan in the middle and you served the person next to you from the family style dishes. I don’t remember everything we had but one was a large carp (15-20+ lbs) where the head was served separately but still breathing while the body had been fried with a sauce coating it. Another really odd dish was a living Python (this would probably be a cobra or other venomous snake if it wasn’t in America (Edit: my memory is failing, now I think it was a rattlesnake. I’ve eaten both Python and rattlesnake multiple times and can’t remember which one was which. They taste the same, boring white meat) was brought to the table and then killed with the heart still beating being served in a glass with some clear Chinese “whiskey” to the Ambassador while the rest of us had the same whiskey mixed with the snakes blood and placed in a decanter with the head still moving (for awhile) to circulate the blood. The body was later served to us in a soup in another course.

But the live squid....I don’t know. It’s not the living part that bothers me it’s that it reaches out with its suckers and will grab on to your teeth, tongue and throat on the way down. At the very least it would be really weird and of course a fair amount of people die from it as well. So I would probably try it where they chop it into small enough bits you wouldn’t choke to death and wouldn’t try to eat a whole one like they sometimes do.

On a dare, sure. Otherwise, no way.
They served it to me on a business dinner where we were closing a major relationship that night. I felt like it would be disrespectful not to eat it.
I’m not afraid of super fresh seafood. As a matter of fact a million years ago when I was interning with the Department of State, Office of International Relations we had a full 13+ course meal with the Chinese Consul General and Chinese Ambassador where I was allowed to attend at the same table as them where it was a large round table for 22+ people with a lazy Susan in the middle and you served the person next to you from the family style dishes. I don’t remember everything we had but one was a large carp (15-20+ lbs) where the head was served separately but still breathing while the body had been fried with a sauce coating it. Another really odd dish was a living Python (this would probably be a cobra or other venomous snake if it wasn’t in America) was brought to the table and then killed with the heart still beating being served in a glass with some clear Chinese “whiskey” to the Ambassador while the rest of us had the same whiskey mixed with the snakes blood and placed in a decanter with the head still moving (for awhile) to circulate the blood. The body was later served to us in a soup in another course.

But the live squid....I don’t know. It’s not the living part that bothers me it’s that it reaches out with its suckers and will grab on to your teeth, tongue and throat on the way down. At the very least it would be really weird and of course a fair amount of people die from it as well. So I would probably try it where they chop it into small enough bits you wouldn’t choke to death and wouldn’t try to eat a whole one like they sometimes do.
When I had it the squid was chopped fine enough that you could not choke on it. Those suckers are strong though.

They served it to me on a business dinner where we were closing a major relationship that night. I felt like it would be disrespectful not to eat it.

When I had it the squid was chopped fine enough that you could not choke on it. Those suckers are strong though.

I'm pretty sure they did it just to laugh at you later.

For me-I'm a hell no. I'll do the raw beef. No way I'm eating anything that's still moving.

God knows I love eating sloppy Korean. Love it a lot.

would not eat that.. makes me queasy

I'm pretty sure they did it just to laugh at you later.

For me-I'm a hell no. I'll do the raw beef. No way I'm eating anything that's still moving.
Yep, they laughed their asses off at me. Particularly when one of those suckers was stuck to my lip and I could not get the damn thing off. Then again, we closed the deal, made a boatload of money and I made some good Korean friends in the process.

I am typically a very adventurous eater. This? NO F------G WAY.

(P.S. you HAVE to click the play button for the full effect)
I just don't understand the point of eating live squid. There is no possible way it tastes better than properly cooked squid. I feel the same way about raw fish in sushi. It doesn't taste horrible but it is not as good as cooked fish so why do it?

I just don't understand the point of eating live squid. There is no possible way it tastes better than properly cooked squid. I feel the same way about raw fish in sushi. It doesn't taste horrible but it is not as good as cooked fish so why do it?

But it actually is better, a lot better and better for you...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've had tartare several times and it was good. Never had the opportunity to try the live squid but would.

At home, I’ll do tartare from some ultra quick seared beef heart rather than truly raw steaks. It’s a super cheap (as heart at Publix is usually under $3 a pound), absolutely delicious and you’ve got no chance of getting sick if you sear it at high heat for ten seconds per side.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-tartare-7449035.amp

Reactions: DFSNOLE
At home, I’ll do tartare from some ultra quick seared beef heart rather than truly raw steaks. It’s a super cheap (as heart at Publix is usually under $3 a pound), absolutely delicious and you’ve got no chance of getting sick if you sear it at high heat for ten seconds per side.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-tartare-7449035.amp

I do it at home too. I usually buy a big porterhouse and grill it extra rare. Will eat the filet side as a steak then do the strip side as tartare. I mix it in Kimchee base with garlic, scallion and different spices, maybe some parsley or cilantro if I have it. Try the kimchee base if you haven't before. Good stuff...

s-l300.png

I do it at home too. I usually buy a big porterhouse and grill it extra rare. Will eat the filet side as a steak then do the strip side as tartare. I mix it in Kimchee base with garlic, scallion and different spices, maybe some parsley or cilantro if I have it. Try the kimchee base if you haven't before. Good stuff...

s-l300.png
That sounds pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT