ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldja? (Seoul food edition)

I just don't understand the point of eating live squid. There is no possible way it tastes better than properly cooked squid. I feel the same way about raw fish in sushi. It doesn't taste horrible but it is not as good as cooked fish so why do it?

But it actually is better, a lot better and better for you...

For me, it depends on the individual species we are talking about.

With Tuna of any species other than maybe albacore, raw is miles better than cooked. It’s not even close.

With salmon, I prefer wild sockeye, coho, and king raw but prefer Atlantic, chum and all farmer salmon cooked. With trout, I’m fine either way.

With mackerel and jacks, it needs to be smoked or raw for me to enjoy it.

With sharks and rays, they need to be soaked for several hours in beer and milk to get remove the urea and then fried or panfried.

For most saltwater firm white meat with little fat fish like grouper, Mahdi, snapper, grunts, orange roughy, sea perch, drums, halibut, cobia, etc... I prefer it cooked, but will enjoy it raw on occassion. For white meat saltwater fish with lots of fat like spade fish, striped bass, snook, pompano, etc...I prefer it cooked.

For white meat freshwater fish I only eat it fried or heavily cooked for health reasons.

Oysters I much prefer raw or very lightly cooked like in a oyster stew where they’re tossed in after the stew is taken off the heat source. I do fry them at a high temperature in a seasoned yam starch breading to get them crispy but still raw inside for the oyster salad recipe I stole from Southern Living (one of the top five salads anywhere imo). Clams I will eat raw or cooked except geoducks and razor clams which I want raw. Mussels I only eat cooked.

Crab, shrimp, crawfish and lobster I do NOT like raw. Their gelatinous texture just does not appeal to me when raw. But I hate how overcooked most people do shrimp. I only want the meat firmed up, not overcooked to where it is chalky. When I do a seafood boil, I basically make a stock from the vegetables, sausage and seasonings and only toss the crabs, crawfish or shrimp in as soon as I take it off the heat source. And if grilled, I take it off after maybe two minutes max.

I do it at home too. I usually buy a big porterhouse and grill it extra rare. Will eat the filet side as a steak then do the strip side as tartare. I mix it in Kimchee base with garlic, scallion and different spices, maybe some parsley or cilantro if I have it. Try the kimchee base if you haven't before. Good stuff...

s-l300.png

I haven’t tried that before but will now.

Reactions: cmanole

With Tuna of any species other than maybe albacore, raw is miles better than cooked. It’s not even close.

With salmon, I prefer wild sockeye, coho, and king raw but prefer Atlantic, chum and all farmer salmon cooked. With trout, I’m fine either way.

With sharks and rays, they need to be soaked for several hours in beer and milk to get remove the urea and then fried or panfried.

For most saltwater firm white meat with little fat fish like grouper, Mahdi, snapper, grunts, orange roughy, sea perch, drums, halibut, cobia, etc... I prefer it cooked, but will enjoy it raw on occassion. For white meat saltwater fish with lots of fat like spade fish, striped bass, snook, pompano, etc...I prefer it cooked.

For white meat freshwater fish I only eat it fried or heavily cooked for health reasons.

Oysters I much prefer raw or very lightly cooked like in a oyster stew where they’re tossed in after the stew is taken off the heat source. I do fry them at a high temperature in a seasoned yam starch breading to get them crispy but still raw inside for the oyster salad recipe I stole from Southern Living (one of the top five salads anywhere imo). Clams I will eat raw or cooked except geoducks and razor clams which I want raw. Mussels I only eat cooked.

Crab, shrimp, crawfish and lobster I do NOT like raw. Their gelatinous texture just does not appeal to me when raw. But I hate how overcooked most people do shrimp. I only want the meat firmed up, not overcooked to where it is chalky. When I do a seafood boil, I basically make a stock from the vegetables, sausage and seasonings and only toss the crabs, crawfish or shrimp in as soon as I take it off the heat source. And if grilled, I take it off after maybe two minutes max.
This. I don't really like raw geoduck and haven't had it cooked before, but the rest is spot on.

Agree except for mackerel and jacks...

Mackerel marinated ftw

J9EAP1G_large.jpg

And jacks including bonito are good if prepared properly. Actually, my favorite fish is yellowtail which is Japanese amberjack (hamachi).

yellowtail.jpg

seared-bonito-sashimi-XDYHX7.jpg

I had live sushi in Japan. It (clam) was moving around my plate. It's considered a huge insult not to eat it in front of your Japanese hosts so when in Rome, err Tokyo, chuck it down. Smile.

I had live sushi in Japan. It (clam) was moving around my plate. It's considered a huge insult not to eat it in front of your Japanese hosts so when in Rome, err Tokyo, chuck it down. Smile.

and take a HUGE swallow of beer or saki.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I’ve had live clam before too come to think of it...

Reactions: GOHOX69

I didn't know you could eat halibut raw? I thought it was like cod or haddock where you HAVE to cook it due to bacteria that makes it totally unsafe to eat in raw form. I might be wrong through.

I do it at home too. I usually buy a big porterhouse and grill it extra rare. Will eat the filet side as a steak then do the strip side as tartare. I mix it in Kimchee base with garlic, scallion and different spices, maybe some parsley or cilantro if I have it. Try the kimchee base if you haven't before. Good stuff...

s-l300.png

Where do you get this? I just left Lynne's Asian Market (I'm making a from scratch miso soup with shrimp and scallops dumplings, oyster mushrooms and cuttlefish balls to go as our "side" as we're splitting a forage fed only butcher steak as our main) and didn't see it. Is it just at Publix?

I didn't know you could eat halibut raw? I thought it was like cod or haddock where you HAVE to cook it due to bacteria that makes it totally unsafe to eat in raw form. I might be wrong through.

Flash freezing kills all the same parasites and bacteria that cooking does. So it's not made from truly fresh fish, but fresh fish which is then flash frozen and then thawed back out. It is possible to get parasites or sick from bacteria from truly fresh fish.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Where do you get this? I just left Lynne's Asian Market (I'm making a from scratch miso soup with shrimp and scallops dumplings, oyster mushrooms and cuttlefish balls to go as our "side" as we're splitting a forage fed only butcher steak as our main) and didn't see it. Is it just at Publix?
No, not at Publix. I get it at the Asian market. It’s on the shelf with the rest of sauces. You might need to ask...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Flash freezing kills all the same parasites and bacteria that cooking does. So it's not made from truly fresh fish, but fresh fish which is then flash frozen and then thawed back out. It is possible to get parasites or sick from bacteria from truly fresh fish.
Lots of times that why sushi is seared, to kill anything that might be on the surface. By and large the surface area is where most of the parasites live. Same with steak, thus seared rare beef (and fresh ground beef) has little chance of contamination.

Lots of times that why sushi is seared, to kill anything that might be on the surface. By and large the surface area is where most of the parasites live. Same with steak, thus seared rare beef (and fresh ground beef) has little chance of contamination.

Oh and I'd point out when I say flash freeze, that's not something you can do at home. Our home freezers don't get cold enough. The sushi places and seafood suppliers have "superfreezers" that get 30+ degrees colder than ours do. So it crystallizes quickly without getting as much freezer damage and tastes basically the same as fresh.

Reactions: cmanole
Oh and I'd point out when I say flash freeze, that's not something you can do at home. Our home freezers don't get cold enough. The sushi places and seafood suppliers have "superfreezers" that get 30+ degrees colder than ours do. So it crystallizes quickly without getting as much freezer damage and tastes basically the same as fresh.
You gotta find the Kimchee base bro...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
You gotta find the Kimchee base bro...

I'm looking forward to it. After a long period of doing a lot of Ethiopian, French and Nigerian cooking at home, we've been doing a lot of Thai, Japanese, Korean and Indian recently. So I've been hitting up Lynne’s Asian market a lot more than usual.

Surface may be good but many cystic forms of parasites are resistant to heat, even extended heat and do not die. These include things like liver flukes which are somewhat unique because they can cause liver cancer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT