ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***WR Dayton Howard commits to Iowa***

Apr 8, 2003
Class of 2023 wide receiver Dayton Howard has made his college decision. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound Kansas City native announced his commitment to the Hawkeyes on Thanksgiving today just two weeks after landing a scholarship offer from the Iowa coaching staff.

"What made me choose Iowa is that they went all in on me the first week they found out about me, which really means something," Howard told HawkeyeReport.com. "The culture there is unmatched and it seems like a perfect fit for me."

This past year, Howard transferred high schools from Savannah to Park Hill and put up big numbers right away with 45 catches for 760 yards and 13 touchdowns his senior year. That quickly drew college interest from Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Colorado State, but Iowa was the first team to step forward with an offer this fall.

"They just told me they need me and can use me," said Howard. "I’ll play anywhere to help the team win."

Overall, Howard is commitment No. 20 in the Class of 2023 for the Hawkeyes, and is very grateful this Thanksgiving for the opportunity to play Division I football in college.

"It means everything to me," Howard said. "I love for football and to be able to take it to the next level is awesome. I’ve always dreamed of this as a little kid. Every high school football player dreams to be in this position and I just feel so blessed. I couldn’t be more thankful."

"I only got one offer, but that’s all I need," said Howard. "One opportunity to prove myself."

He covers a lot of ground with those long strides. Looks like a good blocker also. I like these tall WRs in the end zone routes … just need more red zone.

Reactions: Cougar63
1254172884282.jpg

Class of 2023 wide receiver Dayton Howard has made his college decision. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound Kansas City native announced his commitment to the Hawkeyes on Thanksgiving today just two weeks after landing a scholarship offer from the Iowa coaching staff.

"What made me choose Iowa is that they went all in on me the first week they found out about me, which really means something," Howard told HawkeyeReport.com. "The culture there is unmatched and it seems like a perfect fit for me."

This past year, Howard transferred high schools from Savannah to Park Hill and put up big numbers right away with 45 catches for 760 yards and 13 touchdowns his senior year. That quickly drew college interest from Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Colorado State, but Iowa was the first team to step forward with an offer this fall.

"They just told me they need me and can use me," said Howard. "I’ll play anywhere to help the team win."

Overall, Howard is commitment No. 20 in the Class of 2023 for the Hawkeyes, and is very grateful this Thanksgiving for the opportunity to play Division I football in college.

"It means everything to me," Howard said. "I love for football and to be able to take it to the next level is awesome. I’ve always dreamed of this as a little kid. Every high school football player dreams to be in this position and I just feel so blessed. I couldn’t be more thankful."

"I only got one offer, but that’s all I need," said Howard. "One opportunity to prove myself."

Always happy to see the Hawks add some Kansas City talent. 6"5" and looks like an emerging talent..... :cool:

His stats look very good for a high school WR. 43 catches for 740 yds is pretty good givin a lot of these schools don't throw a ton. Have not seen him play. Fort used to play the two Park Hill schools every year, but they moved up to class 6, the top class in Missouri, while Fort is in class 5 now. It really helped us compete not have to play them and Blue Springs every year. Their enrollment is almost three times the size of ours. Fort has benefited, and they'll be in the state semi's Saturday. A win and another title up for grabs next week in Columbia....

Cool thing is, we have upped our recruiting game enough and our fans know it, a late high upside 2-star, especially at WR…makes our fans happy!!

We need these guys to start showing out like the D…. Honestly and I know I’m getting a tiny bit carried away here but on defense walk on 2*3*4*if they stay in the program they play a lotta football and they’re generally studs!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I like it. You can’t coach length. If he is the type of athlete that puts on 35-40 lbs, he could grow into a TE too.

TE seems likely, but he has above average athleticism!

This was my exact thought after watching his film. Put some weight on him and get him on the field as a TE.

He blocks really well for a HS receiver. Has a knack for finding a soft spot in the defense and getting open in the middle of the field. Catches the ball in traffic. He is smooth and would be a nightmare for safeties and linebackers.

If I had to guess, I think that’s exactly what the coaches saw in him too. Him talking about the Iowa coaches finding out about him and that they went hard in recruiting him right away really makes me think that is their plan.

Always happy when guys WANT to be Hawks!

Also ... WR recruits who seem to have a little chip on their shoulder ... they often have success at Iowa. Any kid who is under-recruited ... they usually have reason to have such a chip on their shoulder.

Reactions: MonmouthHawk
With Iowa lack of offensive creativity they should be looking for 6’5” receivers and 230lb running backs.

ADVERTISEMENT