ADVERTISEMENT

WR Depth Chart and PT:

I remember the plays right before this from Beathard to get us in position to kick this. CJ was just clutch that entire year. I mean every week, he would make the right play, the big play to get points. Man...I think people don't give him the credit for how well he played in 2015.

Who's the other guy that has won 12 games in a row for Iowa Football? Spencer Petras.

I'll also make the point that CJ struggled in 2016...why? Our offensive line struggled...that's why. It's the point I've been making about Petras last year...he's shown he can make enough plays to win games...but you have to protect him. Last year we had the worst OL in the B10 for tackles for loss and 3rd worst in giving up sacks...just saying.
CJ played with a number of injuries in 2016, and the line wasn't very good.

The line was terrible most of the season last year. Last year we had the worst OL in the B10 for tackles for loss and 3rd worst in giving up sacks...just saying. Defenses literally just screamed across the line of scrimmage from every angle. It's a risky defense though.

The risk is the offense has a quick hitter with the potential for a score. Since, like the running game, those quick hitters were either available but Spencer had no time to plant and throw or available and ended in a dropped pass (guessing Iowa was close to the bottom in that category too) far too often.

Part of the optimism for me is the terrible breakdown of all parts of the offensive game. Once in a while you do have that perfect storm. Sometimes its 2002 and everything goes right. Sometimes its 2021 and everything goes wrong. I think the offense had a perfect storm.

Last edited:
CJ played with a number of injuries in 2016, and the line wasn't very good.

The line was terrible most of the season last year. Last year we had the worst OL in the B10 for tackles for loss and 3rd worst in giving up sacks...just saying. Defenses literally just screamed across the line of scrimmage from every angle. It's a risky defense though.

The risk is the offense has a quick hitter that has the potential for a score. Since, like the running game, those quick hitters were either available but Spencer had no time to plant and throw or available and ended in a dropped pass (guessing Iowa was close to the bottom in that category too) far too often.

Part of the optimism for me is the terrible breakdown of all parts of the offensive game. Once in a while you do have that perfect storm. Sometimes its 2002 and everything goes right. Sometimes its 2021 and everything goes wrong. I think the offense had a perfect storm.
Historically…. Kirk and his staff recognize deficiencies and address them…..I’m sure there’s been a ton if focus on getting the line fixed and those kids have had another year in our S/C program…..I’m optimistic we’ll have a much better offense this year…. If Spencer plays well that would be icing on the cake

Historically…. Kirk and his staff recognize deficiencies and address them…..I’m sure there’s been a ton if focus on getting the line fixed and those kids have had another year in our S/C program…..I’m optimistic we’ll have a much better offense this year…. If Spencer plays well that would be icing on the cake
As am I and for the same reasons. The number of posters that think KF and staff don't see the same mistakes we do amazes me. It's also why I think that some current #1 guys will not emerge as the long-term starters this year. Plumb and Petras come to mind, and I don't think the answer is going to be Padilla/DeJong.

Reactions: natchrlman
I remember the plays right before this from Beathard to get us in position to kick this. CJ was just clutch that entire year. I mean every week, he would make the right play, the big play to get points. Man...I think people don't give him the credit for how well he played in 2015.

Who's the other guy that has won 12 games in a row for Iowa Football? Spencer Petras.

I'll also make the point that CJ struggled in 2016...why? Our offensive line struggled...that's why. It's the point I've been making about Petras last year...he's shown he can make enough plays to win games...but you have to protect him. Last year we had the worst OL in the B10 for tackles for loss and 3rd worst in giving up sacks...just saying.
Quit putting CJ and Petras in the same post lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT