ADVERTISEMENT

WR Depth Issue

Niko13

HR All-American
Jan 28, 2011
It looks like if we don't land anyone in the portal, lose anyone else to the portal and no one else commits or decommits, we'll have 6 scholarship receivers next season and that's including incoming freshmen. What are the chances of Ragaini returning on a Covid year? I didn't realize how thin we are but holy cow that's dangerously thin! Also, we're now hitting the dangerously thin territory at linebacker, as well.

It looks like if we don't land anyone in the portal, lose anyone else to the portal and no one else commits or decommits, we'll have 6 scholarship receivers next season and that's including incoming freshmen. What are the chances of Ragaini returning on a Covid year? I didn't realize how thin we are but holy cow that's dangerously thin! Also, we're now hitting the dangerously thin territory at linebacker, as well.
Are Brecht and Wick on scholarship? I expect Brecht is on baseball schollie and I think Wick is a walk on. If Brecht still plays football next year I think he showed some good potential. Wick made a couple of nice catches on good routes. I have no idea of his speed but if he runs really good routes and has really good hands he could add value especially against zone defenses.

But I share your thoughts on the issues. Jacobs leaving could be a big blow but PParker, his schemes and his coaches have taken a whole lot of high school seniors and turned them into very good college linebackers and some of them have played a lot of seasons in the NFL between them so I think we will find some really good linebackers.

Are Brecht and Wick on scholarship? I expect Brecht is on baseball schollie and I think Wick is a walk on. If Brecht still plays football next year I think he showed some good potential. Wick made a couple of nice catches on good routes. I have no idea of his speed but if he runs really good routes and has really good hands he could add value especially against zone defenses.

But I share your thoughts on the issues. Jacobs leaving could be a big blow but PParker, his schemes and his coaches have taken a whole lot of high school seniors and turned them into very good college linebackers and some of them have played a lot of seasons in the NFL between them so I think we will find some really good linebackers.
Pretty sure Brecht is on fball.

With the amount of WRs currently in the portal, Iowa will land some. They have obviously done a good job targeting some of the top guys, but landing them is an entirely different story.

Wick did absolutely nothing this year. If we have to hear about how he is tearing our defense up again during spring, we are absolutely screwed.

Believe someone noted in another thread Brecht is on football scholarship which is a NCAA policy to prevent giving more effective scholarships to football teams. Or something like that. I thought Brecht showed improvement as year went on. Hoping that if he stays healthy he can make a bigger leap forward. Should help if we have more consistent QB play too.

Losing Jacobs is definitely a big blow. He may not have played much this year due to injury, but he’s good. Fortunately, Iowa is pretty good at making good LBs. And we should have a lot of talent and experience in the other 8 positions.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I believe the 6 scholly receivers are

Vines
Brecht
Bostick
Buie (incoming)
Howard (incoming)
Mota (incoming)

Reactions: BBHawk
Believe someone noted in another thread Brecht is on football scholarship which is a NCAA policy to prevent giving more effective scholarships to football teams. Or something like that. I thought Brecht showed improvement as year went on. Hoping that if he stays healthy he can make a bigger leap forward. Should help if we have more consistent QB play too.

Losing Jacobs is definitely a big blow. He may not have played much this year due to injury, but he’s good. Fortunately, Iowa is pretty good at making good LBs. And we should have a lot of talent and experience in the other 8 positions.
Jacobs is apparently not all gone, depending upon who you listen to for prognostication. If he gets a Georgia offer it is certainly bye bye. With that said, it depends on if you trust those sources.

Jacobs is apparently not all gone, depending upon who you listen to for prognostication. If he gets a Georgia offer it is certainly bye bye. With that said, it depends on if you trust those sources.
I hope you're right but Iowa doesn't have a great track record for being on the fortunate end of these developments

Reactions: shudaddy
We need at least 2 WRs from the portal. I think that will happen now that the QB question has been answered. If Nico returns and Wick gets a scholarship that would be 10. That along with at least 3-4 quality TEs should be enough to get by.

Reactions: Niko13
Well there is little doubt that Iowa is thin at the position. Like Copeland has said, Iowa is a tough place to recruit quality wide receivers to. With that said, having McNamara on board at least tells portal players that Iowa has a bona-fide QB in place which they did not have before. Without him the chances of landing any top WR's was slim and none. With him Iowa has a shot.

Well there is little doubt that Iowa is thin at the position. Like Copeland has said, Iowa is a tough place to recruit quality wide receivers to. With that said, having McNamara on board at least tells portal players that Iowa has a bona-fide QB in place which they did not have before. Without him the chances of landing any top WR's was slim and none. With him Iowa has a shot.
Why is Iowa a tough place to recruit receivers to? Is it location or philosophy? Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota are all very similar to Iowa and they all get very good receivers.

• Love
Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Why is Iowa a tough place to recruit receivers to? Is it location or philosophy? Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota are all very similar to Iowa and they all get very good receivers.
Iowa has done decently with running backs and developing TEs, but skill positions have always been an issue l, whether that is due to lack of recruiting base or selling the offense.

Time for the Swarm to shell out some cash. However, slippery slope. If you shell out to keep Jacobs, each year you’ll have more and more players enter the portal just to get a “raise” from their current school.
He's going to OSU. His dad is a huge OSU homer.

Any word if the staff has reached out to the lb transfer Mason Cobb from Okie State kid had 96 tackles this year

Like Copeland has said, Iowa is a tough place to recruit quality wide receivers to.
Niko 13 brings up the point I keep coming back to. Western Michigan sends receivers to the NFL. So do other MAC schools. The only rational excuse for not being able to recruit receivers to Iowa City is the offensive scheme. The evidence is undeniable. It's not the weather. It's not the water. It's not the cornfields. It's the ridiculous offensive scheme that, for the last three years, has been run by a less than stellar QB.

Change the scheme. Get a good QB (McNamara qualifies). And then Copeland or anybody else will be able to attract wide receivers to Iowa City. So at least it seems Iowa is making SOME movement in the right direction. But will it be enough? Not unless the scheme evolves and there is a new OC to run it, IMHO.

Well, if the world explodes, we will all be dead but that isn't going to happen.

Time for the Swarm to shell out some cash. However, slippery slope. If you shell out to keep Jacobs, each year you’ll have more and more players enter the portal just to get a “raise” from their current school.
Wow, props to you for making a good point. So as to this, it would IMO be better to spend that money on a highly rated underclassmen looking for PT

Reactions: cmhawks99
Niko 13 brings up the point I keep coming back to. Western Michigan sends receivers to the NFL. So do other MAC schools. The only rational excuse for not being able to recruit receivers to Iowa City is the offensive scheme. The evidence is undeniable. It's not the weather. It's not the water. It's not the cornfields. It's the ridiculous offensive scheme that, for the last three years, has been run by a less than stellar QB.

Change the scheme. Get a good QB (McNamara qualifies). And then Copeland or anybody else will be able to attract wide receivers to Iowa City. So at least it seems Iowa is making SOME movement in the right direction. But will it be enough? Not unless the scheme evolves and there is a new OC to run it, IMHO.
I think it is also for whatever reason, they don't do a good job of identifying WR talent. Seems like almost every other position they find guys that are little under the radar and end up being good players. They miss on so many developmental WRs that it has to be they either don't know what to look for or the WR coach isn't a good developer of talent.

Reactions: Niko13
I believe the 6 scholly receivers are

Vines
Brecht
Bostick
Buie (incoming)
Howard (incoming)
Mota (incoming)
Wicks has not proven he is a Big Ten level WR. I think they take 2 in the portal. Sounds like All the TE is a lock. Vines is going to get better. Brect showed flashes late. FWIW, Ohio State had Bostick at a camp but he didn't get an offer. He was thought of pretty highly, good speed and hands. He could be very good in a year.

My next question is: How are all of these scholarships being distributed? it's still 85, correct? Is that inflated with the covid year? According to my count, we're at 82 scholly players (including incoming 2023 recruiting class). That doesn't count Erick All from Michigan, the RB decommit from Nebraska that my commit, Ragaini returning, or any other portal player signing. Either they plan on going over 85 or anticipating more defections

Kirk did mention not everyone entering portal was totally certain. Hope he does what’s right for him, but I also hope what is right for him is to stay!

My next question is: How are all of these scholarships being distributed? it's still 85, correct? Is that inflated with the covid year? According to my count, we're at 82 scholly players (including incoming 2023 recruiting class). That doesn't count Erick All from Michigan, the RB decommit from Nebraska that my commit, Ragaini returning, or any other portal player signing. Either they plan on going over 85 or anticipating more defections
They probably know of others either transferring or medically retiring like maybe Davidkov or Britt etc.

When has Iowa sent skill players to the NFL? Which skill players from Iowa have had the most successful careers in the NFL
If you count TEs…

WR would be ISM, but not a lot of success. I think Brandon Smith may have been on the active roster at some point this year? It’s been a long time since one had a lot of success. Quinn Early? Tim Dwight was decent in the league, but not outstanding. He missed the boat by not being about 5 years younger. Patriots would have loved him.

QB, Beathard is still in the league. None with great success.

RB, Shonn Greene had some success with the Jets. Jewell Hampton played for the 49ers.

Wick did absolutely nothing this year. If we have to hear about how he is tearing our defense up again during spring, we are absolutely screwed.
Read what I said, Wick made a couple of nice catches on a couple of nice routes against zone. Unless he has speed he probably wont be real successful against man coverage unless you scheme in on a lbkr.

Man you and more of you just totally forget about guys like Riley McCarron, Matt Vandeberg and others as no one knew about them and then they were great. Not sure if those two guys were walk ons or on schollie but I think MattV walked on. If you have some speed and are a really good route runner and can catch most everything you can be a positive.

Heck McCarron played a few NFL years as he was fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT