ADVERTISEMENT

WR Depth Issue

Pretty sure Brecht is on fball.

My son played a ton of baseball including jv type ball at Iowa and he is just hoping Brecht doesnt hurt his arm. Brecht throws something like 96 I have heard and yes there are a ton of guys now that throw up to 100 but if he also has a really good changeup and a slider and or great curveball then it seems like Baseball would give him some good money.

My son played a ton of baseball including jv type ball at Iowa and he is just hoping Brecht doesnt hurt his arm. Brecht throws something like 96 I have heard and yes there are a ton of guys now that throw up to 100 but if he also has a really good changeup and a slider and or great curveball then it seems like Baseball would give him some good money.
He already throws 100+. You don’t even need to know where that ball is going to get drafted fairly high with his arm.

He’ll be an extremely high draft pick in two years. He would have gone very high if went out of high school.

He’s going to make a lot of money playing baseball. Even if he blows his arm out, he will get drafted fairly high after surgery.

What he can never do again in a couple years, is put that uniform on, and walk out of that tunnel at Kinnick.

I would agree with that assertion.

When you have an offense that often shoots for only around 60 snaps per game ... and you know that usually on the order of 55% of those snaps are running plays ... that leaves a limited number of touches for WRs. On top of that, Iowa is renown for TE development ... AND we like to get our RBs involved in the passing game too. Thus, when you're having fewer than 30 snaps where the ball might be coming to you ... and you know that a TE is usually a "safer blankie" to the QB than a WR ... then that can make it tough to land WRs.

Of course, in defense of our QBs through the years ... our WRs haven't always done a great job of getting open. It's risky throwing into window that are too tight.

Why is Iowa a tough place to recruit receivers to? Is it location or philosophy? Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota are all very similar to Iowa and they all get very good receivers.
It's not necessarily a location issue, although Iowa isn't exactly a hotbed for high profile athletes. Iowa's offensive philosophy and recent offensive implosions just aren't all that attractive to WR recruits who want to catch balls and score points. I wouldn't have encouraged my WR son to attend Iowa were I in that position and he had other opportunities, and I say that as a 40 year fan.

It's not necessarily a location issue, although Iowa isn't exactly a hotbed for high profile athletes. Iowa's offensive philosophy and recent offensive implosions just aren't all that attractive to WR recruits who want to catch balls and score points. I wouldn't have encouraged my WR son to attend Iowa were I in that position and he had other opportunities, and I say that as a 40 year fan.
Thank you for an honest answer. I believe it's 100% on the nose too

Reactions: Hammer93
If you count TEs…

WR would be ISM, but not a lot of success. I think Brandon Smith may have been on the active roster at some point this year? It’s been a long time since one had a lot of success. Quinn Early? Tim Dwight was decent in the league, but not outstanding. He missed the boat by not being about 5 years younger. Patriots would have loved him.

QB, Beathard is still in the league. None with great success.

RB, Shonn Greene had some success with the Jets. Jewell Hampton played for the 49ers.
Albert young had a couple good seasons if I recall properly

That's too bad. I'd love for my son, a lifelong Hawkeye fan, to go to Iowa and have a chance to watch him play every Saturday since he'd be close to home. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

That's too bad. I'd love for my son, a lifelong Hawkeye fan, to go to Iowa and have a chance to watch him play every Saturday since he'd be close to home. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I just want what's best for my family. That's all that really matters to me. Iowa football is just a pass time. I'd never encourage him to do something that I thought might not be in his best interests. I can imagine that went through Kasper's mind as his son was considering where to play.

Hauser has been on the Hawkeyes radar for a couple weeks. I'm still seeing a chance at 3 good wrs that we've been looking at for awhile. All with experience and a great upside. With All and a rb and an olineman we hit 7 which has been the goal/wishlist I've gone on record as saying this is what Ferentz is going for. I still have a ton of hope for the next 2 Years and think our days of bottom feeder offense is behind us.

We also have that dlineman coming in and hopefully hauser and the 2 ivy league cb's

agree, if we can get 4-5 new people 3 WRS, 1 RB, 1 TE that would really help skill positions. Then look for a OL or 2 for depth/starter. Defense would be good to add 1 LB & 1-2 CB

Reactions: Bishop1971
agree, if we can get 4-5 new people 3 WRS, 1 RB, 1 TE that would really help skill positions. Then look for a OL or 2 for depth/starter. Defense would be good to add 1 LB & 1-2 CB
Hauser and the ivy league db's are feeling like great gets as well.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Are Brecht and Wick on scholarship? I expect Brecht is on baseball schollie and I think Wick is a walk on. If Brecht still plays football next year I think he showed some good potential. Wick made a couple of nice catches on good routes. I have no idea of his speed but if he runs really good routes and has really good hands he could add value especially against zone defenses.

But I share your thoughts on the issues. Jacobs leaving could be a big blow but PParker, his schemes and his coaches have taken a whole lot of high school seniors and turned them into very good college linebackers and some of them have played a lot of seasons in the NFL between them so I think we will find some really good linebackers.
ANY athlete in football or basketball, AND baseball is on a football or basketball scholarship. Baseball only gets a few rides which are split between players usually. He's on a football ride.

What he can never do again in a couple years, is put that uniform on, and walk out of that tunnel at Kinnick.
^^^^ you are so right and others have said football is his first love, didnt know he was at 100+ with his fastball and if it almost always has movement he might not need to throw other pitches

I would rather have 2 starting Olinemen that are an upgrade to what we have right now rather than a running back or a TEnd. As long as KalabJ, LeshonW, and the other true frosh stay and we have Lachey, Ostrenga, Stilianos iirc, and if this All guy comes over from Mich we have enough in those two position groups.

We need some very good OLinemen to start really running the ball and throwing to backs and also to open up the passing game, that is if Kirk still has the same type of offense.

We need at least 2 WRs from the portal. I think that will happen now that the QB question has been answered. If Nico returns and Wick gets a scholarship that would be 10. That along with at least 3-4 quality TEs should be enough to get by.
Better Olinemen and not TEnds as we have 3 of them right now unless the TEnd is a TRavis Kelce or Kittle type

Better Olinemen and not TEnds as we have 3 of them right now unless the TEnd is a TRavis Kelce or Kittle type
My though there was we already have those 3-4 TEs on the roster ... if we land Erick All. An impact OL guy would be nice to get in the portal though, preferably an OT. The more I think about WR I hope we get at least 3 that can play right away.

Niko 13 brings up the point I keep coming back to. Western Michigan sends receivers to the NFL. So do other MAC schools. The only rational excuse for not being able to recruit receivers to Iowa City is the offensive scheme. The evidence is undeniable. It's not the weather. It's not the water. It's not the cornfields. It's the ridiculous offensive scheme that, for the last three years, has been run by a less than stellar QB.

Change the scheme. Get a good QB (McNamara qualifies). And then Copeland or anybody else will be able to attract wide receivers to Iowa City. So at least it seems Iowa is making SOME movement in the right direction. But will it be enough? Not unless the scheme evolves and there is a new OC to run it, IMHO.
I agree with you but I think it is even more than the offensive scheme. We have all seen those Kirk's teams that are really a good mix of pass and run, with good QB play and passing, and with a really good running game. Those teams were and are efficient, get off 70 snaps a game and there are balls going to a lot of runners and receivers.

Again it is Oline and QB passing capability that makes Kirk's offense really go.

Just look back a few years and we had Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith who made the pros, not superstars but very good. I am not knocking Stanley as he was above avg in all around play but not a gunslinger and Petras had moments but was terribly inconsistent and wild passing.

I think a Tate or Beathard type QB here from 2017-2022 and we would be looking at stellar hawk offenses. We have a proven QB with an accurate arm if he remains healthy and to me that means all out press to get a very good to great offensive line and the problems will be over.

I still have all of my eligibility left. Anyone think a 54 yr old out of shape guy can play in our offense? I did play some intramural flag football in college, and dominated. Does it matter that we used a Nerf football?

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I still have all of my eligibility left. Anyone think a 54 yr old out of shape guy can play in our offense? I did play some intramural flag football in college, and dominated. Does it matter that we used a Nerf football?
What's yer 40 time big fella?

Might be able to use you on punt team as one of the 3 blockers in front of the punter.

Reactions: HemiHawk
Can you occasionally accidentally get in the way of a free rusher? Even for a split second? If so I don't see why you wouldn't be an easy take.

It's not just quantity, it's quality.

It's challenging to evaluate the wr group given a bad qb and probably worse OL. They may be better than what it has appeared with improvement in both of those areas. Or they may not.

I would also argue that they had too many slot receiver body types and not enough taller guys on the perimeter for fades. Unless they're all athletic freaks, a passing attack should essentially always have a wr or two in the 6'3"-6'6" range for jump balls. And not just the TEs.

Are Brecht and Wick on scholarship? I expect Brecht is on baseball schollie and I think Wick is a walk on. If Brecht still plays football next year I think he showed some good potential. Wick made a couple of nice catches on good routes. I have no idea of his speed but if he runs really good routes and has really good hands he could add value especially against zone defenses.

But I share your thoughts on the issues. Jacobs leaving could be a big blow but PParker, his schemes and his coaches have taken a whole lot of high school seniors and turned them into very good college linebackers and some of them have played a lot of seasons in the NFL between them so I think we will find some really good linebackers.
I think BB had to be on football if he plays both. Can’t “hide” them in another sport.

Reactions: BBHawk
I like Nico, glad he is coming back. Work on his Masters plus get NIL money., not a bad gig.

Two solid TE's (Lachey, All), Ragiani, Vines and Brecht are improving. Hopefully we add Anderson and/or TeSlaa. McNamara will have a lot of targets. More experience line and stron running game, look out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT