ADVERTISEMENT

New Story WR Emmanuel Ogwo could make early impact

Apr 8, 2003
Tom's Q&A with incoming freshman Emmanuel Ogwo.

---

Receivers coach Bobby Kennedy opened the door a bit to the possibility of a true freshman getting a chance for playing time at wide receiver. One of those freshmen who could help early on is the speedy Emmanuel Ogwo. The Texas prep track standout is headed to Iowa City early next month and talks about his spring track season and his expectations for his freshman year at Iowa.

Q: Have you done much football related training this spring or are you focused more on track right now?

OGWO: Mainly on track right now. I get to the football weight room as much as I can, but right now I am focused on winning state in track this year.

Q: Coach Kennedy was down there to watch you run recently and you put up a very impressive time.

OGWO: Yeah, I ran a 46.89 in the 400 meters when he was here. That was my best time this year, but I am looking to get that down to the low 46's at state when we get to Austin.

Q: Your speed is going to probably be your biggest asset once you get to Iowa. Is that fair to say?

OGWO: Oh yeah. Most definitely. That's not all I have, but I can certainly bring speed to the table right away.

Q: You seem to have a pretty close relationship with Coach Kennedy. What is that relationship like from your perspective?

OGWO: Coach Kennedy is really like a father figure to me. He and I are really close. When he told me Iowa was going to offer me, I knew right away I wanted to play for him. We have a really good relationship.

Q: When he talked this spring to the media, Coach Kennedy said there was a chance for the incoming guys at receiver, like yourself, to play this fall. Has he said that to you as well?

OGWO: He conveyed that to me as well. He said I could come in and compete and possibly play right away if I can show them I am ready to play. If they feel like they need to redshirt me, then I don't have a problem with that at all. I know I will be ready this fall.

Q: With your speed, you seem like the guy that could come in early and really stretch the field for the Iowa offense. Has he talked to you about that being a possible role?

OGWO: Yes he has. He told me that with Damond Powell leaving, they need a guy who can get downfield with speed. I am looking to fill that role.

Q: Have you had contact with any of the other Iowa coaches since signing day?

OGWO: I mainly talk to Coach Kennedy, but I also talk to Coach Ferentz every once in a while.

Q: Did you put in for a number once you get to Iowa?

OGWO: I put in for #6, but I think one of the quarterbacks already has that one. They did tell me during the recruiting process that I would have that number, so I don't know how that will all work out.

Q: What is your goal in your freshman year at Iowa?

OGWO: Mainly to just make a smooth transition. That's not only with football, but with academics as well. I know there will be a lot of time management involved with the demands of football.

Q: What's your relationship like with some of the guys coming in with you, specifically the guys from Texas in this class?

OGWO: All of us from Texas, we are like brothers. We sent group messages to each other a lot of time to support each other and keep in touch.

Q: When do you arrive on campus at Iowa?

OGWO: I graduate on June 9th and I will be there on June 10th for orientation. I start workouts on June 11th and I'll be starting school this summer too.

Q: It's only a few weeks away for you. How excited are you to get started at Iowa?

OGWO: I'm stoked. I'm really excited. I ready to get started. I know I am not coming in at top football shape coming off track season, but I am looking forward to it.

Q: You said you aren't in football shape and more of track shape. What are you weighing right now?

OGWO: I'm at about 168.

Q: What is your weight goal by the start of fall camp?

OGWO: I think by that time I want to be up to about 180 pounds.

Q: You couldn't make it up for spring practice, but did you keep track of things on-line as far as what Iowa did this spring?

OGWO: Coach Kennedy would send me clips of the receivers for me to watch. The guys looked really good, particularly Tevaun Smith and Jacob Hillyer.

Q: You said earlier that you have spoken a few times with Coach Ferentz. What has his message been to you?

OGWO: He just checks in to see how I am doing and to make sure everything is going well with my position coach. I talk to Coach Doyle quite a bit too and I am looking forward to working with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News