ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING FOR LIFE board fundraiser — PSU Week 2023 edition

slushhead

HR All-American
Mar 10, 2014
Like last year’s edition . . .

We can be assured there will be ugliness on the boards over the next several days as the big PSU vs Iowa dual comes and goes. But we can also do some good with our fanaticism and prognostications . . .

Wresting for Life could use our dollars, and it is a great cause. If you like putting your money where your mouth is and would like to do so on predicted outcomes in the PSU vs Iowa dual, let’s try doing so here with proceeds going to Wrestling for Life.

We can be rivals and work together at the same time.

I think we raised close to $800 between the 2 boards in 2022. Let’s try it again this week and aim to break $1k.

@ your favorite (or least favorite) rivals and shake hands on a bet regarding this week’s big dual, with proceeds donated directly to WFL by the losing participant (or by both participants, as happens on occasion) via the weblink provided above (from the main menu, click Donate, then Your Gift, and continue from there). Post receipts in this thread next week!

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I'll make an offer to Hawkeye Nation. But it will have to be a team effort on your part. I will wager $50 on each match. 125 (yes, I'll bet against Spencer). But I need one Hawk fan to take the other side of each of the 10 weights. This guarantees $500 to Wrestling For Life.

125 - @jmadden1998
133 - @jmadden1998
141 - @jmadden1998
149 - @jmadden1998
157 - @jmadden1998
165 - @jmadden1998
174 - @jmadden1998
184 - @jmadden1998
197 - @jmadden1998
285 - @loonhawk

So just reply with the Hawk you are willing to wager on. There will be ten $50 bets, or no bet at all. Let's step up and raise some $ for a good wrestling cause. Some of you will have to fall on a sword like I will be doing, but it is for a good cause.

I nominate @jmadden1998 Hawk Fan of the Year! $500 will be going to WFL! It's just a matter of what wallet it comes from. Well done!

Last edited:
I'll make an offer to Hawkeye Nation. But it will have to be a team effort on your part. I will wager $50 on each match. 125 (yes, I'll be against Spencer). But I need one Hawk fan to take the other side of each of the 10 weights. This guarantees $500 to Wrestling For Life.

125 -
133 -
141 -
149 -
157 -
165 -
174 -
184 -
197 -
285 -

So just reply with the Hawk you are willing to wager on. There will be ten $50 bets, or no bet at all. Let's step up and raise some $ for a good wrestling cause. Some of you will have to fall on a sword like I will be doing, but it is for a good cause.
...just as I was ruminating over how an over/under prop could be worked into this...

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I'll make an offer to Hawkeye Nation. But it will have to be a team effort on your part. I will wager $50 on each match. 125 (yes, I'll be against Spencer). But I need one Hawk fan to take the other side of each of the 10 weights. This guarantees $500 to Wrestling For Life.

125 -
133 -
141 -
149 -
157 -
165 -
174 -
184 -
197 -
285 -

You’re the Man! You must be 40 or something…

man-40.gif

I am willing to offer up a $100 bet on the above criteria, however, my offer is for weights 141 through 165. Therefore, $25 a match. I am not taking multiple bets as my limit is a $100 donation to WFL. It’s not what you all wished for but it’s a starting point.
Consider hands shaken and best of luck.

Reactions: Creek Side
I am willing to offer up a $100 bet on the above criteria, however, my offer is for weights 141 through 165. Therefore, $25 a match. I am not taking multiple bets as my limit is a $100 donation to WFL. It’s not what you all wished for but it’s a starting point.
Consider hands shaken and best of luck.
I'll take that bet in addition to the one above. I'm trying to lock in $500 for WFL. Now maybe it will be $600!

125 -
133 -
141 -
149 -
157 -
165 -
174 -
184 -
197 -
285 -

I'll take Cass at 285

I’m offering a side bet/dare. I’ll put up $500 to WFL or HWC (your choice) if one of you Go Iowa Awesome posters can persuade Spencer to — when he comes out for his match on Friday night — to hold up a few feet from his line, stand there with his head down, wait a minumum of 5 full seconds, extend his arms out to each side, and growl, “State College . . . Acknowledge Me!”

Another $100 if he manages to do it while
facing the BTN camera.

Reactions: dmlawdad
I’m offering a side bet/dare. I’ll put up $500 to WFL or HWC (your choice) if one of you Go Iowa Awesome posters can persuade Spencer to — when he comes out for his match on Friday night — to hold up a few feet from his line, stand there with his head down, wait a minumum of 5 full seconds, extend his arms out to each side, and growl, “State College . . . Acknowledge Me!”

Another $100 if he manages to do it while
facing the BTN camera.
Love this idea. Can you imagine the talk that would generate? What is he doing and why is he doing it? It's to win some money for Wrestling for Life. What is that? Great opportunity for some publicity. So who knows Spencer personally and can get this done?

Love this idea. Can you imagine the talk that would generate? What is he doing and why is he doing it? It's to win some money for Wrestling for Life. What is that? Great opportunity for some publicity. So who knows Spencer personally and can get this done?
It’s so wrong and ridiculous on its own, but yeah, very easy to rationalize when you think of the cause (and as you alluded to, catch the attention of casual fans — it would definitely make SportsCenter).

All while having some fun with the haters.
🤫

125 -
133 -
141 -
149 -
157 -
165 -
174 -
184 -
197 -
285 - @loonhawk

I will take the other 9.

@Aleric1 — What do you think about $50
on Kerk vs. Cass for old times’ sake?
I’m open to a different bet if you’re not feeling it for that matchup again…

Reactions: Aleric1
So it appears we’re up to about $650 for WFL. Pretty damn awesome! I’d like to see us get to a cool grand now.

I will go $50 per Nelson Brand takedown. I will match it with $50 per Nelson Brand Stall Call as it is more likely. If neither occur $100 to WFL just for good measure.
Might need Cesspool grammar police to issue a final ruling, but I think it's too late to clarify whether you meant takedown OF Brands or BY Brands. Both apply now - just Cesspool rules. 🙂

Thinking about watching Stevenson's last match at carver last year, where he got a standing ovation from the crowd (I know some people didn't like it, but I did and thought it was a cool moment), what reaction, if any, will the PSU fans give after Spencer's match?

I'll put up $25 saying they will act as classy as the hawk fans did to GS, any PSU fans want to wager they don't?

Thinking about watching Stevenson's last match at carver last year, where he got a standing ovation from the crowd (I know some people didn't like it, but I did and thought it was a cool moment), what reaction, if any, will the PSU fans give after Spencer's match?

I'll put up $25 saying they will act as classy as the hawk fans did to GS, any PSU fans want to wager they don't?
You can't have a bet based on something that is totally subjective.

Reactions: slushhead
You can't have a bet based on something that is totally subjective.
Look no further than the historical debates on whether PA fans booed Spencer in his last HS match . . .

It takes only one person to say he heard one boo or one jeer to think he wins the debate.

Reactions: Creek Side
Look no further than the historical debates on whether PA fans booed Spencer in his last HS match . . .

It takes only one person to say he heard one boo or one jeer to think he wins the debate.
He(Spencer Lee) just had an interview this past week and said the only place he can ever recall being boo'd was at the PA state championships. For what that's worth.

I think a lot of fans will be standing and applauding him. But it won't be, nor should it be unless they start the match at 133 and the 125 match has no bearing on the team score.
Then I think that Spencer would get a Gable-like round of applause.
The PSU fans are not going to give SL a loud and prolonged applause if he just comes off the mat after dispatching Steen and is high-fiving the rest of his teammates rather than waving to the fans in recognition of their applause and appreciation. It's just going to be a different situation from what Gable was in.

I think a lot of fans will be standing and applauding him. But it won't be, nor should it be unless they start the match at 133 and the 125 match has no bearing on the team score.
The PSU fans are not going to give SL a loud and prolonged applause if he just comes off the mat after dispatching Steen and is high-fiving the rest of his teammates rather than waving to the fans in recognition of their applause and appreciation. It's just going to be a different situation from what Gable was in.
Plus, the standing-o was for USA Olympic Gold Medalist Steveson, not Minnesota Golden Gopher Steveson. Big difference, IMO, and Lee is not in such a circumstance.

If Lee proactively acknowledges the crowd with some sort of gracious farewell salute (I’m not really expecting it), then I could see a more unanimous applause to acknowledge what he has brought to college wrestling. Otherwise, I figure the crowd will be relatively muted.

Reactions: hlstone
Well I tried, but I guess everybody concluded that, once again, Iowa fans are superior to Penn State fans 🙂.

I'll still give $25 to wfl based on that fact, and- despite its subjective nature- if it looks like more than half the people give a standing O or the cheers are at least as audible as the boos I'll throw another 25 in

Well I tried, but I guess everybody concluded that, once again, Iowa fans are superior to Penn State fans 🙂.

I'll still give $25 to wfl based on that fact, and- despite its subjective nature- if it looks like more than half the people give a standing O or the cheers are at least as audible as the boos I'll throw another 25 in
It will be dark in the stands at BJC, and they usually show only the reactions of the folks seated on the floor, so I think you’d have to go by sound only (assuming you can hear anything over Sparks).

How about this for a more objective criterion:
Whether Sparks or Gibbons makes an on-air mention of crowd applause/recognition for Lee.

If they do, you win. If they don’t, the other guy (if anyone takes the bet) wins.

Reactions: just_somebody
It will be dark in the stands at BJC, and they usually show only the reactions of the folks seated on the floor, so I think you’d have to go by sound only (assuming you can hear anything over Sparks).

Whether Sparks or Gibbons makes an on-air mention of crowd applause/recognition for Lee.

If they do, you win. If they don’t, the other guy (if anyone takes the bet) wins.
And WFL wins either way. In

Reactions: hlstone
The Penn State faithful will politely clap for Gary Steen's effort. The Hawk fans in attendance will hoot and holler over Spencer's domination.

Nobody will boo Spencer unless he makes some overt untoward gesture to the crowd, which I don't believe he'll do. Nothing against Spencer, but I'll be quite surprised if there's any kind of sustained standing ovation for Spencer in the BJC.

Valid point

I'm on the floor. I will applaude if Lee wins. I will go bonkers when Steen hits the .01% move that sticks Lee!

Might need Cesspool grammar police to issue a final ruling, but I think it's too late to clarify whether you meant takedown OF Brands or BY Brands. Both apply now - just Cesspool rules. 🙂
Take down by Brands as in he scored 2 points. Stalling as in he gets called for stalling. If neither happen then $100 to WFL just because it is a great program.

With about 2:30 left on the clock, it appears we have the following bets for WFL:

• jmadden1998 & loonhawk vs. 82bordeaux for $500
• inthecircle vs. 82bordeaux for $100
• aleric1 vs. slush for $50
• idahopennstatefan vs. nelson brands for $100
• justsomebody & slush vs. the bjc for $25

If I have all that right, it puts this board at $775 for WFL.

@Aleric1 @Idahopennstatefan @Inthecircle @jmadden1998 @just_somebody @loonhawk @82bordeaux
Please let me know of I screwed any of that up.

Just $200 to go to get to a cool grand. It’s a tremendous cause which GG and Cowboy Up put a lot of effort into.
With GG’s past and possibly current health conditions, I’ll bet we would provide a big smile for him. Knowing him, he’ll also be grateful for whatever amount comes in.
GO HAWKS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT