ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Season Moving Back?

hawkiniowacity

HR All-American
Jun 16, 2002
New Orleans
Saw a post in the Iowa Wrestling Facebook group saying that after 2026, the Wrestling season would start in January with the Championships in April... but I can't find any info corroborating the claim. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, It would EXCELLENT for the sport, not having your premier event (NCAA Championships) compete for viewers with perhaps the most popular college sports TV event of the year (March Madness). Thanks in advance for any info!

Saw a post in the Iowa Wrestling Facebook group saying that after 2026, the Wrestling season would start in January with the Championships in April... but I can't find any info corroborating the claim. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, It would EXCELLENT for the sport, not having your premier event (NCAA Championships) compete for viewers with perhaps the most popular college sports TV event of the year (March Madness). Thanks in advance for any info!

I’ve always thought this would be much better for the wrestlers, as well. Change it to a one semester sport, let them enjoy the holidays with their families, reduce the number of months in which they are trying to maintain weight. Hope it is true.

I’ve always thought this would be much better for the wrestlers, as well. Change it to a one semester sport, let them enjoy the holidays with their families, reduce the number of months in which they are trying to maintain weight. Hope it is true.
I agree just will selfishly miss wrestling.

I think it’s a horrible idea, holiday season is the best time of the year for tournaments. Also who cares if you are competing against basketball, there isn’t much crossover there and adds to the element of March Madness. Maybe push it back a week and not compete with opening weekend.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I think it’s a horrible idea, holiday season is the best time of the year for tournaments. Also who cares if you are competing against basketball, there isn’t much crossover there and adds to the element of March Madness. Maybe push it back a week and not compete with opening weekend.

This post just reaffirms that it’s a great idea. If you’re on the opposite side of Chips, you are probably on the correct side.

This post just reaffirms that it’s a great idea. If you’re on the opposite side of Chips, you are probably on the correct side.
Having thoughts of your own is too much, better just go along with what others are saying. Thinking hurts too much. That’s what I got out of your post

Reactions: lookleft goright
I've always wished that more of the 'Winter' sports would shift to either Fall or Spring. It would give them one semester to focus on academics without the travel and increased practice & training time during the season. I see it as a way to put the student back in student athlete.

I prefer the season remail the same. The holiday break is great for tournaments, seeing what the RS and 2nd stringers can do, and allowing a rest period for injuries. They would have to control their weight through the holidays regardless.

I prefer the season remail the same. The holiday break is great for tournaments, seeing what the RS and 2nd stringers can do, and allowing a rest period for injuries. They would have to control their weight through the holidays regardless.
Not only would they not have to control their weight during the holidays, they wouldn’t be getting injured while competing in the first semester to need holiday healing.

Last edited:
Saying that there is little crossover is self-fulfilling. It is also the type of myopic opinion that keeps the sport from growing. The fact that there is little crossover is largely because the championships are at the same time as the basketball tournament. People don't get a chance to be exposed to the best wrestling because there is absolutely no way they are going to choose it over the most popular sporting event of the year. Having your tourney in late April, when the only other things are pro sports would be massive for exposure.

I've always wished that more of the 'Winter' sports would shift to either Fall or Spring. It would give them one semester to focus on academics without the travel and increased practice & training time during the season. I see it as a way to put the student back in student athlete.
It certainly appears like the Universities and their TV overlords are not fans of this ridiculous "student athlete" thingy anymore. 😏

I'd prefer it. Would Iowa then start with the Midlands? I wouldn't mind that. The season has usually been chopped up with Thanksgiving and then the dead period after the Cyclone match.

It's also better to have the nationals a month later in the month of April due to a little warmer weather. Put it at the end of April to better guard against major winter storms.

I'd prefer it. Would Iowa then start with the Midlands? I wouldn't mind that. The season has usually been chopped up with Thanksgiving and then the dead period after the Cyclone match.

It's also better to have the nationals a month later in the month of April due to a little warmer weather. Put it at the end of April to better guard against major winter storms.
Amen….

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
It certainly appears like the Universities and their TV overlords are not fans of this ridiculous "student athlete" thingy anymore. 😏

They haven't been for several decades. I think football & basketball are too far gone to ever come back. I also think that they ought to reduce the number of allowable practice/training hours per week to equal to or less than the number of credit hours a student is enrolled in.

You couldn't be any more wrong on this point. Every year at nationals the bars are packed with wrestling fans watching the Big Dance.

Would be interesting to see how many guys don’t enroll in the first semester like Stevenson and the kid who went back to PSU did this year. Would really set wrestling up for some major movement and such if kids only had to be enrolled in second semester. I know some guys are serious about their academics, but some just don’t give a damn about it.

Not 100% sure, but thought Iowa stopped sending to Midlands and was starting own open tournament going forward. Maybe will start with Hawkeye Open.

This is a rare case where I actually respect your opinion but disagree. There is most definitely crossover and going up against the behemoth that is the NCAA hoops tournament is a bad idea, IMHO. You’re not going to grow the sport doing that.

I'd prefer it. Would Iowa then start with the Midlands? I wouldn't mind that.

Iowa is no longer going to the Midlands and instead supporting the new Iowa City tournament.

First thing that popped into my head. Too bad that might be too late for him if he’s as good on the football field as I’m hearing.

Maybe, but don’t forget he isn’t even enrolling at Iowa until the fall of 2023. Certainly would make it easier to do both sports.

Just out of curiosity - is the season moving back or did someone just say he read something about possibly moving it back?

Just out of curiosity - is the season moving back or did someone just say he read something about possibly moving it back?

Chips-

You're seriously underestimating the number of fans that will watch and root for Iowa, almost regardless of the sport. I have friends that have Hawk sports on almost always, certainly football and mens basketball, but also womens basketball, volleyball, baseball etc. AND the odd dual meet thats shown on BTN.

You better believe guys like that would tune in to the wrestling, if it weren't competing with the first weekend of March Madness.

Well you are an idiot so it’s no surprise that’s what you got out of it.

Also LOL at the idea that maintaining the status quo is an original thought.
Says the guy with the handle HOXXX, that’s one way to claim originality. also taking someone else idea and going along with the group isn’t being original you ****ing potato

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
ADVERTISEMENT