ADVERTISEMENT

Wrigley Big Ten-ACC bowl game nearly done deal

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

The Chicago Tribune is reporting the Wrigley Field bowl game is all but certain to begin in 2020 and would replace the Foster Farms Bowl played in Levi Stadium near San Francisco.

One hang-up is that the Cubs want a "highly rated" Big Ten team, not a second division outfit. And the ACC has not signed on yet, but is expected to. The SEC would be the other option.

Here's the link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...eld-college-football-bowl-20180613-story.html

Reactions: lawless89
The SEC probably isn't coming. But the ACC almost certainly is, as the article and I said.

I don't like these cold-weather outdoor games in baseball stadiums either, but they're happening. And imagine if the Big Ten gives in to the Cubs and sends, oh, a 9-3 or even an 8-4 team to Wrigley.... What a great reward for your season that would be.

The NCAA has made some great rule changes this week, but the bowl game situation--the number and the venues--is out of control. I think 86 of the 130 FBS teams will be going to bowls. That's just plain crazy, even if the games were held on the equator.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Damn it. Would much rather play in the Foster Farms Bowl. PAC, San Fran area, nuff said.

After what I saw in NYC at Yankee Stadium? Yuck and no thanks. Keep a bowl game in California or sign on with somewhere like Vegas.

Of course this means Delany will certainly do the Chicago Bowl.

Would this make three of the B1G bowls Detroit, NYC, and Chicago? 2 of which are outdoors? Ouch

What’s wrong with soldiers field or Lambeau field.. heck we the big ten wants to play in this weather at least give us a stadium that suits both fans and players..

I see the appeal. It’s an easy drive for most Iowa fans. Make it a two or three night stay. Checkout downtown Chicago, which is beautiful, during Christmas. Hit a second city comedy show (or whatever type of show you like), get a couple good meals, and get drunk in Wriggleyville. If you can handle the cold, there are worse ways to spend three nights for relatively cheap.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Lots of patsies that don't want to sit out in the cold. Good thing Packers and Bears fans aren't like that.

This could also be the unfortunate side effect of the CFB Playoffs. It’s now been decided by greedy ADs/Presidents/TVexecs that unless you’re participating in the playoffs none of the rest matters. Bowl games are a total $$ grab. The more the merrier. It’s not about rewarding teams for having a good season, it’s about the benjamins.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
They want a top tier team. I'd be really pissed if I played in that bowl after a 8 or 9 win season. I can see it now: "If we win this last game, we go to Wrigley, lose and we go to San Diego....who's up for dropping some passes ane fumbling a few times today?"

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Lots of patsies that don't want to sit out in the cold. Good thing Packers and Bears fans aren't like that.

I was just about to type the same thing but use pansies instead of patsies. Have I been saying this wrong over the last 40 years?

They want a top tier team. I'd be really pissed if I played in that bowl after a 8 or 9 win season. I can see it now: "If we win this last game, we go to Wrigley, lose and we go to San Diego....who's up for dropping some passes ane fumbling a few times today?"

Ronnie Harmon has been there, done that...if doing it in the Rose Bowl counts.

But really, you make an interesting point. Bowl games were once regarded as rewards, but going to Yankee Stadium to play on ice and soon to Wrigley Field under who knows what kinds of conditions, seem a whole lot more like punishment.

Put the thing in Denver if you want to move north. OR take it to an indoor stadium. Why would the b1g sign off on another garbage bowl? Can they back out if when it's a good year for the conf?

Here's a thought, put together another cold worthless bowl. When the invites come out no one accepts.
Oh wait it's a college full of educated people... forget that.

I see the appeal. It’s an easy drive for most Iowa fans. Make it a two or three night stay. Checkout downtown Chicago, which is beautiful, during Christmas. Hit a second city comedy show (or whatever type of show you like), get a couple good meals, and get drunk in Wriggleyville. If you can handle the cold, there are worse ways to spend three nights for relatively cheap.

You could still do all that if the game were played in Soldier Field.

The weather would be the same, or worse, at Solider Field. (It's closer to the lake than Wrigley.) And many people are missing a key point here: The Cubs want this bowl game, and the Cubs play at Wrigley Field.

If the Bears wanted to sponsor a bowl, they would be pushing for it to be held at Soldier Field. This isn't a Chicago thing; it's a Cubs' thing.

Ahhh shit, what next a bowl game in Alsaka or better yet the North Pole Freezer Bowl

The Chicago Tribune is reporting the Wrigley Field bowl game is all but certain to begin in 2020 and would replace the Foster Farms Bowl played in Levi Stadium near San Francisco.

One hang-up is that the Cubs want a "highly rated" Big Ten team, not a second division outfit. And the ACC has not signed on yet, but is expected to. The SEC would be the other option.

Here's the link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...eld-college-football-bowl-20180613-story.html

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Igloo Coolers Announces Sponsorship of WTF!? Bowl

Game to be played in International Falls, MN.

Quote from company spokesperson Ole Olesen, "Ya, well we thought what the heck. There's some games already played in stupid places that are cold. We might as well have a game in the dumbest and coldest place we could come up with."

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Put the thing in Denver if you want to move north. OR take it to an indoor stadium. Why would the b1g sign off on another garbage bowl? Can they back out if when it's a good year for the conf?

Denver is a little too far to drive for a two/three day mini getaway, especially in the winter. Chicago is perfect and in the heart of B1G country. I want to see a southern team come here for once.

My only issue would be field conditions and player safety. If it’s going to be like Yankee Stadium and playing football on an ice rink, no thanks.

Part of the problem is there is no heating system under the field at the baseball stadiums so the odds are good you end up playing on a skating rink. This also can’t be good for recruiting.

Here's a thought, put together another cold worthless bowl. When the invites come out no one accepts.
Oh wait it's a college full of educated people... forget that.

I agree with this,... If this were the bowl I was offered I would decline. Said the same thing about the Pinstripe Bowl last year....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT