ADVERTISEMENT

WTF Florida? "Don't Say Gay" law? Really?

Right wing (not all), but the complete nut jobs are doing their best effort to destroy their states.

Iowa has successfully hosted 2 NCAA tournaments, made 100's of millions for local economy. Yet, it won't be allowed to host again due to stupid legislation that MAGAs are pursuing. If I am a member of greater Des Moines Chamber of Commerce, I'm putting a lot of money against these MAGAS in elections

Reactions: fredjr82
Maybe if we pretend homosexuality isn't real it will just go away! 😂 😂 😂 😂

Politics

Chasten Buttigieg speaks out against Florida’s ‘Don’t say gay bill,’ warning it could lead to more suicides

Chasten Buttigieg after signing copies of his book “I Have Something to Tell You,” at East City Bookshop in D.C. in 2021. (Michael Blackshire/The Washington Post)

By John Wagner
Today at 8:47 a.m. EST
Chasten Buttigieg, an educator and husband of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, is speaking out against legislation advancing in Florida that critics have dubbed the “Don’t say gay bill,” arguing that it could lead to more suicides among LGBTQ youths.

The legislation, which supporters say is about parental rights, would, among its provisions, bar school districts in Florida from encouraging classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in primary-grade levels or “in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students.” Parents would be empowered to sue if they think schools are violating the law.
“You’re essentially pushing kids back into the closet,” Chasten Buttigieg said Tuesday during an appearance on CNN. “You’re saying we can’t even talk about your families.”
In a tweet last week, Buttigieg said the legislation “will kill kids,” pointing to a recent survey by the Trevor Project, an LGBTQ youth advocacy group, which found that 42 percent of LGBTQ youths seriously considered attempting suicide during the past year.
“Sometimes you take that trauma to heart, and unfortunately there are a lot of kids in this country who do the worst,” Buttigieg told CNN.
Those comments amounted to some of his highest-profile advocacy since gaining national prominence as the husband of Pete Buttigieg, a former Democratic presidential candidate and now President Biden’s transportation secretary.
Florida state Rep. Joe Harding (R), who introduced the bill, told reporters last week, as it was advanced by a House committee, that the legislation is “about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent.”
“That job can only be given to you by above,” Harding said.

But Buttigieg argued that the legislation is hostile to families like his. Pete Buttigieg is the first openly gay person to be confirmed to a Cabinet position in the United States, and last year, the couple announced the adoption of twins.
As Pete and Chasten Buttigieg are learning, adoption is full of surprises
“If kids come into the classroom on Monday morning and they’re all talking about their weekends and hypothetically a kid like mine says, ‘I had the best weekend with my dad; we went to the zoo; we went and got ice cream,’ is a teacher supposed to say, ‘Hey, hey, hey, we don’t talk about things like that in this classroom?’ ” Buttigieg said. “Not only what does that do to kids like mine, but what does that do to a kid in the classroom who might be starting to realize that they’re different?”
Buttigieg said that, in his view, the bill’s is not about promoting parents’ rights.
“I think it’s about using the LGBT community as a scapegoat, which we’ve been used as multiple times throughout history, and I just don’t agree with it,” he said.“Sometimes you take that trauma to heart, and unfortunately there are a lot of kids in this country who do the worst,” Buttigieg told CNN.

Those comments amounted to some of his highest-profile advocacy since gaining national prominence as the husband of Pete Buttigieg, a former Democratic presidential candidate and now President Biden’s transportation secretary.
Florida state Rep. Joe Harding (R), who introduced the bill, told reporters last week, as it was advanced by a House committee, that the legislation is “about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent.”
“That job can only be given to you by above,” Harding said.

But Buttigieg argued that the legislation is hostile to families like his. Pete Buttigieg is the first openly gay person to be confirmed to a Cabinet position in the United States, and last year, the couple announced the adoption of twins.

“If kids come into the classroom on Monday morning and they’re all talking about their weekends and hypothetically a kid like mine says, ‘I had the best weekend with my dad; we went to the zoo; we went and got ice cream,’ is a teacher supposed to say, ‘Hey, hey, hey, we don’t talk about things like that in this classroom?’ ” Buttigieg said. “Not only what does that do to kids like mine, but what does that do to a kid in the classroom who might be starting to realize that they’re different?”
Buttigieg said that, in his view, the bill’s is not about promoting parents’ rights.
“I think it’s about using the LGBT community as a scapegoat, which we’ve been used as multiple times throughout history, and I just don’t agree with it,” he said.
There is nothing wrong with this bill banning classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in kindergarten through third grade. What is wrong with that? I completely agree with it. Why do kids in Kindergarten who are 5-6 years old need to know about that? Why do you feel it is so important they need to be taught about it in school? If parents want to talk to them about it, that is there decision. Some people have lost their minds.

There is nothing wrong with this bill banning classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in kindergarten through third grade. What is wrong with that? I completely agree with it. Why do kids in Kindergarten who are 5-6 years old need to know about that? Why do you feel it is so important they need to be taught about it in school? If parents want to talk to them about it, that is there decision. Some people have lost their minds.
Indoctrinate them while they’re young. Long-term liberal plan to undermine the values of this great nation.

Because it isn't happening.

Regardless of the mis-statement of grade vs. age, I would be extremely upset if a school created a gender non-conforming plan with my children without having talked to myself or my wife.

Doesn't matter the age, they are not adults and they are under our guardianship.
My child had no problem talking about this with my wife and I. I have a hard time seeing how a mental health professional would be caught off guard by this.

I would suggest that all parents, come to terms with the idea that their child might be Gay or nongender conforming and ask themselves if the would rather be the parent of a somewhat well adjusted queer or of a basket case that has been convinced that something is wrong with them. Or worse, much worse.

In my life I've been close to each. My sister, is a homophobic Christian, with 2 lesbian daughters. Both have gone through and one is still struggling with drug abuse and addiction. I made a conscious decision that I would never treat them any differently. This made it so much easier when my youngest approached us. There was never a need for her to come out though, we knew long before she opened up about it.

Indoctrinate them while they’re young. Long-term liberal plan to undermine the values of this great nation.
It wasn't an accident that a Yale graduate like DeSantis used the word indoctrinate. It's guaranteed to reach out and activate the dumbest segment of the electorate.

Reactions: Huey Grey
It wasn't an accident that a Yale graduate like DeSantis used the word indoctrinate. It's guaranteed to reach out and activate the dumbest segment of the electorate.
Sure. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most Americans would scoff at the shit you guys dream about on the OT board.

Right wing (not all), but the complete nut jobs are doing their best effort to destroy their states.

Iowa has successfully hosted 2 NCAA tournaments, made 100's of millions for local economy. Yet, it won't be allowed to host again due to stupid legislation that MAGAs are pursuing. If I am a member of greater Des Moines Chamber of Commerce, I'm putting a lot of money against these MAGAS in elections
Will you be back from Ukraine by November?

I AM taking a joke. Deal with sarcasm or get on that plane ✈️ for Warsaw now. 😉

Still can't believe I haven't gotten passport. I have some medical appointments to take care of first anyways. A lot of folks around here clearly want me to die. I try to jest with everyone. Clearly I don't.

My daughter said last night her teacher told her “girls can marry girls”. She’s 4.

Hard not to wonder if the wrong parent hears that and gets upset. It wouldn’t have even occurred to me a couple years ago.

And so far she hasn’t turn gay… but we are keeping an eye on her

Here is my approach. My kids are 10, 10, and 7.

"If it makes you happy and isn't hurting you, someone else, or isn't illegal than everyone else's opinion can get F'd. Life is way too short to worry about bigots and assholes."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk and Awe
Here is my approach. My kids are 10, 10, and 7.

"If it makes you happy and isn't hurting you, someone else, or is illegal than everyone else's opinion can get F'd. Life is way too short to worry about bigots and assholes."
Why do you encourage them to do illegal things?

Reactions: fredjr82
I saw some video of grievance actor DeSantis signing this into law surrounded by prop kids. Seems odd to say you are so worried about kids and then use a bunch of 6 year old kids as cover.

Evidence of the accelerated slide of this country’s into the shitter.

Last edited:
So school support staff/counselors etc. will be required to inform the parents if there is any discussion of LGBTQ issues between school staff and a student? That's really effed up. So much for giving our kids some level of confidentiality and assurance that they won't be "outed" or ostracized by the many small minded amongst us.

Is there a similar reporting requirement if a student wants to discuss "straight" sexual issues with school staff? It seems there should be if we're trying to be consistent in the application of the new law.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT