ADVERTISEMENT

WTT Challenge tournament

No big surprise, but Nolf manhandles Carr. Up 8-0 before getting the fall.

Bartlett is a whole different wrestler at his normal weight.

Possibly, but I'm not convinced quite yet. Bartlett has a lot of freestyle success(Jr World medalist I think). Perhaps he's just better at freestyle...

Although Nelson lost her match, it was pretty cool to see Marinelli sitting in the corner. No doubt in my mind that he is going to make an excellent coach!

While you like the confidence...Butter beat the Chain-Star™ today

motorka-kvar.gif

No, the arena will be nearly empty as is the usual case for freestyle events.
I really don't get that, I'm a thousand miles away. If I was a 3-5 hour drive I would be there. There are some great wrestlers competing.
How often do you get a chance to see this much talent under one roof for the price of 5 combo meals from McDonalds.
Mind boggling.

I really don't get that, I'm a thousand miles away. If I was a 3-5 hour drive I would be there. There are some great wrestlers competing.
How often do you get a chance to see this much talent under one roof for the price of 5 combo meals from McDonalds.
Mind boggling.
A lot of people who care enough about wrestling to follow freestyle are involved at the youth level on up. There are a lot of graduation parties and commencements this weekend in Iowa, and those kids are a higher priority.

A lot of people who care enough about wrestling to follow freestyle are involved at the youth level on up. There are a lot of graduation parties and commencements this weekend in Iowa, and those kids are a higher priority.
What about people who are only fans , like me? Where are they?
Maybe us on the boards are just psycho hardcore fans?
I couldn't tell from the streams but it looked like maybe 500 people there?

Last edited:
What about just fans , like me? Where are they?
Maybe us on the boards are just psycho hardcore fans?
I couldn't tell from the streams but it looked like maybe 500 people there?
The access at these USA wrestling events is incredible for fans who don't already have deep wrestling connections. Listening to LewBoo, Barry Davis, and Kevin Jackson jaw while high-level wrestling is taking place is like watching Manning Cast for NFL, except without making things vanilla for mass consumption. Randy Lewis calling for Coach Steiner's attention while Steiner is coaching a match does not make flo coverage. If you want to sit that close, General Admission tickets get you literally first row seats 15 feet from the mat. Alternatively, sitting up 10 rows makes it easier to see Ramos and Dan Dennis having a friendly chat while Ramos uses an oddly professional camera to take pictures of UNC wrestlers and easier to see how current Penn State guys pause while walking off their matches long enough to see how ex-Happy Valley guys like Cenzo and Mark Hall are faring. Or, Ramos cornering greco's Ty Lydic because Lydic's coaches did not make it to Coralville and Ty was looking for a corner in Coralville on social media.

And none of that is about the actual wrestling matchups and action.

Yianni quick tf over Parker. Will wrestle Henderson at Final X.

Nanea Estrella up now.

Estrella down 2-0 at break. Gave up a pushout and penalty point for hands to face.

Penalty point again 0-3.
Td Estrella 2-3. 1:45 to go
Td Basham 2-5 45 sec left
Pushout Estrella 3-5, short time
Can't get another score, loses 5-3

Last edited:
Nanea Estrella up now.

Estrella down 2-0 at break. Gave up a pushout and penalty point for hands to face.

Penalty point again 0-3.
Td Estrella 2-3. 1:45 to go
Td Basham 2-5 45 sec left
Pushout Estrella 3-5, short time
Can't get another score, loses 5-3

The cautions for hands to the face got her out of sync and gave the other wrestler the winning points. Also like her finals losses at the last tournament her opponent locked her up with ties and pushed her around. Nanea is pretty exclusive on low leg offense from a space and tie up and block off strategy has been employed to take her out of her game. She needs to improve her hand fighting.

Reactions: jrod65
JO over Deakin. Some questionable calls. Stoppage when Deakin was close to a td, exposure for JO that maybe wasn't.

Reactions: hlstone
Gwiz td to gut 4-0, 1:30 left in 1st
Cass in on shot, Gwiz defends and scores, straight into two guts and thats the match...

Valencia vs Mortimer up now.

And its over... Mortimer with the super-quick fall.

She has a big rematch with Mortimer that she has to win 1st. Mortimer is dangerous, likes to go upper body. Mortimer pinned Valencia at U20's. It was a pretty even match before the fall.
I thought she was on the back side wrestling back for third?

I thought she was on the back side wrestling back for third?

Correct. Worded kind of poorly on my part. Was saying that Valencia first had to beat Mortimer before the rubber match with Shilson for 3rd could happen.

Reactions: el dub
Estrella up now.

She's up 4-1 at the break.

Gives up a td after a very, very long sequence that typically gets stalemated. 4-3. Now gives up pushout, 4-4. Estrella does not have criteria

Estrella with clutch short time td on the edge! Wins 6-4

Mind boggling.
It's the idiotic rule set. Nobody knows what the score is, certainly not the fans. It's entertaining to listen to the announcers try to guess at the score when two guys roll out of bounds. At least in folkstyle fans know the score or at least have a strong opinion on what should be called.

When freestyle removed control from its wrestling rules it became an odd variant of rhythm gymnastics.

You are right that the reason to go is to see the atheletes.

Reactions: horraybeer
Cassioppi vs Walz up now

No scoring yet
Walz on the clock-doesnt score
1-0 Cass 1 min left in 1st
Not much happening, 1-0 at the break

2nd period:

Cass now on the clock - doesn't score
1-1 1:40 left
Cass gets a td 3-1
Blood time.
Stepout for Walz 3-2 Cass.