ADVERTISEMENT

WTT Juniors

Just checking...Because he did not medal last year, Steveson is not eligible for any special wrestle-offs, correct?

If not, I see no reason why Cass shouldn't enter as the favorite to win...He has the bye into the 2 of 3 by virtue of the Jr Nationals win in April.

Just checking...Because he did not medal last year, Steveson is not eligible for any special wrestle-offs, correct?

If not, I see no reason why Cass shouldn't enter as the favorite to win...He has the bye into the 2 of 3 by virtue of the Jr Nationals win in April.
Last year Gable entered seniors and Juniors at the same time.

Ok...I thought it was announced he was only doing seniors.

That’s why I wanted to inquire about future wrestle-offs.

If he is doing both, moot point!

I don’t like it, but I understand it. Cass is going to be a very important part to Iowa winning a title next year. Staff probably wants him to focus in Folk and not getting burnt out. I felt Warner was burned out after Juniors last year and it made the season tough for him. I think that is why we are not seeing Warner at juniors this year and Cass not at the trials.

I don’t like it, but I understand it. Cass is going to be a very important part to Iowa winning a title next year. Staff probably wants him to focus in Folk and not getting burnt out. I felt Warner was burned out after Juniors last year and it made the season tough for him. I think that is why we are not seeing Warner at juniors this year and Cass not at the trials.

Disappointing to say the least. Will be curious to find out why Brands is not wrestling this weekend.

I believe Junior Worlds was in late September last year? It's middle August this year.

I believe Junior Worlds was in late September last year? It's middle August this year.
Hey I get it. One month can do wonders for rest and recovery, but when you have issues in the down position like Warner did his RS year it would probably have helped if he wasn’t working par terre all summer. Might be the same case for Cass and the staff is taking a different approach.

Hey I get it. One month can do wonders for rest and recovery, but when you have issues in the down position like Warner did his RS year it would probably have helped if he wasn’t working par terre all summer. Might be the same case for Cass and the staff is taking a different approach.

I think in Cass's case, the argument could made that they are taking the summer to build his body...same with Warner. But dang, that sucks because he has a solid opportunity to make the Jr World team.

Yup. Pretty well established at this point that world/national team camps aren’t great for development.

It's juniors, not the Olympics. If the team has it's eyes set on toppling PSU next year, skipping this run to develop the young guys isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Case in point, Jacob Warner, has already been mentioned. He didnt exactly look fresh in the first half of the season. I know each kid is different, but I trust that the coaches have a master plan to build as many NCAA+World+Olympic champs as possible out of this group and this decision is just part of that plan. A little far fetched to think this would have much impact on recruiting.

It's juniors, not the Olympics. If the team has it's eyes set on toppling PSU next year, skipping this run to develop the young guys isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Case in point, Jacob Warner, has already been mentioned. He didnt exactly look fresh in the first half of the season. I know each kid is different, but I trust that the coaches have a master plan to build as many NCAA+World+Olympic champs as possible out of this group and this decision is just part of that plan. A little far fetched to think this would have much impact on recruiting.
Making a junior world team is a big deal and it’s one of the few opportunities these kids get to face international competition. This is a big step for young talent with Olympic aspirataions, so for a recruit to see that the Iowa coaches are pulling back everyone from attempting to make the juniors team that may be a big deal for them, in no way can this help recruiting that is for sure.

Making a junior world team is a big deal and it’s one of the few opportunities these kids get to face international competition. This is a big step for young talent with Olympic aspirataions, so for a recruit to see that the Iowa coaches are pulling back everyone from attempting to make the juniors team that may be a big deal for them, in no way can this help recruiting that is for sure.
I don't think so.

Obviously I don't know the circumstances underlying the decisions not to participate, but I don't see much positive in the Hawks lacking visibility on this stage.
Agree, plus it is antithetical to the hawk mantra imo. I thought Iowa wanted guys that wanted to win world/Olympic golds. Getting that international experience on the age level teams is huge.

so i originally had this plan to debunk that top level recruits are chasing junior world teams so I went and checked HS p4p rankings vs entered to UWW junior tournament and here are the results:

2019-2020: 3 of top 14 p4p are registered
2018-2019: 4 of top 14 p4p are registered

in both of those lists, keegan o'toole is included.

so i guess its not technically correct to say that junior trials are a huge draw for top level talent.

not sure where i'm going overall with this info, just thought it would be interesting to share.

Yeah, I guess I look at it as more of a personal accolades thing. Do I as a Hawkeye Wrestling Fan care if these guys are Junior World Freestyle participants? Not in the least.

But surely it's a big deal to some, and if they're not allowed to do it, I could see where that could have an effect on recruiting. THAT SAID, I have a hard time believing Iowa is "forcing" Cass or Brands to withdraw. I would guess they laid out a plan and maybe a preference, and this was the end result.

From my perspective, these kids are on Scholarship to be the best they can be at College Folkstyle Wrestling, and that should always be the priority. (if you want to make deals with guys like Kyle Snyder, then you do that in advance and I'm sure Ohio State did. I'm pretty sure Iowa had similar discussions with Spencer, Okie State with Fix, etc.)

so i originally had this plan to debunk that top level recruits are chasing junior world teams so I went and checked HS p4p rankings vs entered to UWW junior tournament and here are the results:

2019-2020: 3 of top 14 p4p are registered
2018-2019: 4 of top 14 p4p are registered

in both of those lists, keegan o'toole is included.

so i guess its not technically correct to say that junior trials are a huge draw for top level talent.

not sure where i'm going overall with this info, just thought it would be interesting to share.
Lee, Mueller, Fix, Yianni, McKenna, Berger, Mekhi, Hall, Zahid, Moore, Nickal.

Over half of the NCAA finalists last year were age level world team members. That’s off the top of my head, probably missing some.

Lee, Mueller, Fix, Yianni, McKenna, Berger, Mekhi, Hall, Zahid, Moore, Nickal.

Over half of the NCAA finalists last year were age level world team members. That’s off the top of my head, probably missing some.

hey i agree - i was just surprised at the number of registered p4p guys this year and thought i'd share

Reactions: crablegs1

Seems silly to get all worked up about them not being there without even knowing the answer why.

Because Iowa doesn’t have 6 of the last 7 ncaa titles to recruit with?
neither do OSU and tOSU but they are still getting multiple P4P guys. look I just think it isn't the end of the world if Cass and Warner don't wrestle juniors this year and focus on the season. Iowa needs both of these guys to place high this year to win one of those national titles you where talking about. I do feel Assad, Brands and the other wrestlers who are qualified should be there.

neither do OSU and tOSU but they are still getting multiple P4P guys. look I just think it isn't the end of the world if Cass and Warner don't wrestle juniors this year and focus on the season. Iowa needs both of these guys to place high this year to win one of those national titles you where talking about. I do feel Assad, Brands and the other wrestlers who are qualified should be there.
I definitely agree it’s not the end of the world. But, I also think it is not good.

After watching RBY’s last match, I feel better about the decision not to wrestle the guys. Hurt his knee again it looks like. Finished the watch but lost and he wasn’t moving well.

Hold on. Most of the best wrestlers aren't there, so how can you make this claim?

Seems silly to get all worked up about them not being there without even knowing the answer why.

Are you new here? That's the calling card for this board. Massive jumps to conclusion and freaking out over assumptions is BAU here. Look no further than early season threads last year where the Iowa coaches were so clearly holding out perfectly healthy wrestlers just because they felt like it. Lots of posters looked like absolute idiots as the season wore on.

Are you new here? That's the calling card for this board. Massive jumps to conclusion and freaking out over assumptions is BAU here. Look no further than early season threads last year where the Iowa coaches were so clearly holding out perfectly healthy wrestlers just because they felt like it. Lots of posters looked like absolute idiots as the season wore on.

go away troll

ADVERTISEMENT