ADVERTISEMENT

WVU QB Will Grier to skip bowl game

How many of these ‘star’ players skipping their bowl game will cause changes in Point spread?

You want to criticize a kid for chasing a dream that is nearly impossible to accomplish? Unless you are playing in the CFP or Title game, anything else means jack squat. Why do pro players give zero effort in the pro bowl? Because it doesn't mean jack squat.
Alex Smith may never play ball again because of infection from surgery. It would be a damn shame for that to happen to an NFL hopeful because he wanted to win the BMW mini Cheezits Papa Pepperoni Bowl

Ego-Maniacs with absolutely no concept of team... all for their own self- gratification. I have no time for people who cannot honor committment and follow through and do things the right way. If I were a coach these players would be immedietly suspended from all team activities including post season events, banquets, honors etc.. they would be on their own .

Reactions: VodkaSam
You want to criticize a kid for chasing a dream that is nearly impossible to accomplish? Unless you are playing in the CFP or Title game, anything else means jack squat. Why do pro players give zero effort in the pro bowl? Because it doesn't mean jack squat.
Alex Smith may never play ball again because of infection from surgery. It would be a damn shame for that to happen to an NFL hopeful because he wanted to win the BMW mini Cheezits Papa Pepperoni Bowl
Why even finish the season? If the seventh game of the season was the best of your career...you should turn in your pads right there. Go out when your stock is the highest. Screw your teammates.....am I right?

Under your logic, shouldn’t a soldier be able to leave the military in the event we go to war? A soldier’s life is more important than some college kid getting drafted in the 3rd round by a team he might not make. But it’s ok for him to leave early.

The problem is there are sports agents encouraging this and offering good money to these kids to shut down on college games.
Good luck dealing with these agents in the future.
As soon as they make this announcement cash is coming in

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Ego-Maniacs with absolutely no concept of team... all for their own self- gratification. I have no time for people who cannot honor committment and follow through and do things the right way. If I were a coach these players would be immedietly suspended from all team activities including post season events, banquets, honors etc.. they would be on their own .

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen in my life.

Why even finish the season? If the seventh game of the season was the best of your career...you should turn in your pads right there. Go out when your stock is the highest. Screw your teammates.....am I right?

Under your logic, shouldn’t a soldier be able to leave the military in the event we go to war? A soldier’s life is more important than some college kid getting drafted in the 3rd round by a team he might not make. But it’s ok for him to leave early.
LOL

Coaches that leave for bigger paydays?

Ask a kid to risk millions for what? So some boosters can get liquored up in the luxury box?

Reactions: dbrocket
How many of these ‘star’ players skipping their bowl game will cause changes in Point spread?

A starting QB not playing will cause the spread to love big time. WV, for example, opened as a 7 point favorite. Now they’re favored by 1.5-2. Other positions don’t matter as much when it comes to the spread. Fant being out for Iowa doesn’t mean much when it comes to the spread.

Somehow I missed this post earlier- two of the worst posts I have ever seen, both in the same thread. Congrats guys, you’re both remarkably stupid!

Lofl, you’re equating skipping a bowl game with military members skipping out on combat? JFC you’re a dumbfvck.

We’re going to see this more and more every year. I don’t like it, but I fear it just is what it is. Bowl Games have always been an exhibition, but the CFP has made many of these games (especially Mid-Tier) far less meaningful. Grier is a Father, and I’m sure he’s thinking about a lot more than a trip to Disney with what he has on the line.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Not that anyone asked but I have mixed feelings about it. Really when you boil it down, if you're that worried about draft "stock" why not shut it down when you're out of the conference/national title mix? In this instance, did he wait to see that WVU was going to a not great bowl and then decide? Would he have done it if they were playing in say a NY6 bowl?
I get the Jake Butt argument--I really do. But it could've happened in their last "regular season" game that was likely just as meaningless as their bowl game, so why not skip that one too.
At what point does a kid decide that a regular season game(s) is meaningless?

It's really simple - you either stick with your teammates, coaches, university, & fans for one more game or you don't. Every year, most high-round draft picks still choose to play their bowl game, presumably because of a sense of commitment to those mentioned above, and maybe also because bowl games are fun and exciting events. Whoever wrote the bowl games are "meaningless" if you're not in the CFP... have you ever competed in anything? Playing the bowl game means finishing the season as part of the team, and finishing with integrity. I know what I'd do, and what I'd want my son to do. Bailing on your team for the last game of the year is selfish. There are those who care only to maximize their own dollar, and those who would never think of skipping out on their teammates for a bowl game.

It's really simple - you either stick with your teammates, coaches, university, & fans for one more game or you don't. Every year, most high-round draft picks still choose to play their bowl game, presumably because of a sense of commitment to those mentioned above, and maybe also because bowl games are fun and exciting events. Whoever wrote the bowl games are "meaningless" if you're not in the CFP... have you ever competed in anything? Playing the bowl game means finishing the season as part of the team, and finishing with integrity. I know what I'd do, and what I'd want my son to do. Bailing on your team for the last game of the year is selfish. There are those who care only to maximize their own dollar, and those who would never think of skipping out on their teammates for a bowl game.
LOL

Where is the BMW mini Cheezits Papa Pepperoni Bowl game played? I bet their gift bags are AWESOME!! You had me at BMW and pepperoni!

Why didn't he sit out their last regular game? They weren't going to the championship game anyway.

It would be kind of exciting for West Virginia fans and coaches you get a month to work on who the QB will be will be next year. Especially with the new redshirt rules!!

I can't wait for the day when a freshman has a great game and sits out for 2 years to get ready for the draft and avoid injuries. This is not good for college football.

I can't wait for the day when a freshman has a great game and sits out for 2 years to get ready for the draft and avoid injuries. This is not good for college football.

Yeah, because that will NEVER happen! The school wouldn't obviously keep him on scholarship, maybe there will be an NFL minor league by then. But 0% a kid sits out YEARS! Little dramatic, aren't we?

Reactions: TugsMcGee
Actually a good thing for WV. They get to develop another QB for next year. Grier is a true team player, he is thinking about their '19 season above his own playing time. ;)

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen in my life.
A lot less dumb than yours.

NCAA offers an insurance policy that can pay over $5 million to a kid who gets inured prior to the draft. Amount is based on his expected draft round. Another private insurance company does the same, including paying the difference between where the kid was projected and where he was ultimately drafted. It's called a, "Loss-of-Value" policy and can be financed against future earnings, meaning even the poorest of families can buy the policies.

If Will Grier, or any other similarly-rated draft prospect got so badly injured they didn't get drafted, they'd be set for life with $ millions in their bank account after the draft.

nope, until you are offered money....you don't know what you would do!

You don't know about your morals unless you're offered money......or so some say :).

We’re going to see this more and more every year. I don’t like it, but I fear it just is what it is. Bowl Games have always been an exhibition, but the CFP has made many of these games (especially Mid-Tier) far less meaningful. Grier is a Father, and I’m sure he’s thinking about a lot more than a trip to Disney with what he has on the line.
Nice example to set for his children ;)

Team leader skipping a bowl game? Got all of his stats from his blockers, receivers, etc.

D*CK Move.....
Will Grier is married and has a child. Does he not owe them his best effort as a provider? HE decided it is time to go get paid. Of course, Dana Holgorsen could just plug in old VodkaSam at QB and Vodka would put up Grier type numbers.

Will Grier is married and has a child. Does he not owe them his best effort as a provider? HE decided it is time to go get paid. Of course, Dana Holgorsen could just plug in old VodkaSam at QB and Vodka would put up Grier type numbers.
Sorry, I stand corrected. I didn’t know he had a wife and a child to support. Knowing that now, he probably should have quit the team a lot earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT