ADVERTISEMENT

WWE Raw

AEW is ECW with a Vince level bankroll...

I remember the first time I saw a VHS tape of ECW back in 1994 and went "Whoah, what is this?" AEW is giving me the same feels...

I mean, when was the last time a WWE match made you emotional? Other than pissed or disappointed that you just sat through that crap? Watch the build up to and the Dustin/Cody match...if you didn't feel something after that match, you are probably dead...

From everything I've heard from Tony Khan, they are building this out the right way...
Well my fear is trying to put a 2 hour weekly live show out the gate and too many PPV's. Doesn't sound like they'll do that less is more. I thought the last PPV was too long. Too many guys that haven't been built up yet. The ending made up for it though.

Double or Nothing was 5 hours, but it didn't feel that way...their events in June and July are smaller, then All Out in August then the weekly TV show in Sept/Oct...

I thought they built the card for DoN perfectly...you have to intro the "new guys" somehow and until they go live on TNT, this was a great way to do it...

It sounds like they are going to do 1 show a week live from a different location each week, so that is different but with a WCW type feel to it...they've hired enough backstage people with experience to pull it off...

They have had two successful events with a couple of months to build each. Can they draw 10-15K for tv every week. Can they book a tv show for two hours with basically the same 6 guys being the stars as they try to build new ones?

Can they build the 'stars' they have to real stars beyond internet darlings...

I've got a bit of Jim Cornette in me with his take on the Bucks being high-spot-monkeys that is so unbelievable to watch. I've never really found Cody or Ambrose entertaining, but I'll give them a try on TNT simply out of curiosity.

I think WWE proved with Kofi, they can still get emotion out of a crowd.

That was mostly Daniel Bryan. I'm sure they'll bury Kofi back in the mid-card in no time maybe make him the longest reigning 24/7 champ.

By accident...if Ali doesn't get hurt, Kofi isn't in the Chamber and doesn't get the fans behind him for the "Kofimania" that followed...

The TV deal with TNT is huge...the distribution with Turner Media is huge...Ring of Honor has TV, but it's different wherever you live...New Japan has TV, but it's AXS and not everyone has that...like Impact on Pursuit and MLW on BeIn Sports...

AEW also uses social media to sell its shows and build its storylines and characters...hell, they sold out 10K seats with no card announced in less than 30 minutes!

By accident...if Ali doesn't get hurt, Kofi isn't in the Chamber and doesn't get the fans behind him for the "Kofimania" that followed...

The TV deal with TNT is huge...the distribution with Turner Media is huge...Ring of Honor has TV, but it's different wherever you live...New Japan has TV, but it's AXS and not everyone has that...like Impact on Pursuit and MLW on BeIn Sports...

AEW also uses social media to sell its shows and build its storylines and characters...hell, they sold out 10K seats with no card announced in less than 30 minutes!
True on Kofi, but you can't tell me they would of made Ali champ, nor would he have gotten the crowd behind him like Kofi did...they booked on the fly with Kofi and rode it though Mania.

It was Daniel Bryan 2.0 but it was good to see Bryan's role in Kofi's title.

Well my fear is trying to put a 2 hour weekly live show out the gate and too many PPV's. Doesn't sound like they'll do that less is more. I thought the last PPV was too long. Too many guys that haven't been built up yet. The ending made up for it though.
Better to get talent out there though for the exposure, than just feature your big names.

He needs to read his next contract BEFORE he signs it...
He would’ve been fine with working for LU... if they were working.

Exactly.

How a promotion can keep talent from working when it's not working is beyond me...

RIP Lucha Underground...you will be missed...

Damn they had some talent go through there in the 4 seasons they existed...

Reactions: Cougar63
I love what AEW is doing. That ppv was great IMO. The Cody/Dustin match was my favorite...told a great story, had that attitude feel, and ended perfectly.

I don't know if this will change much in the wwe. They have to answer to stock holders so I somewhat understand but their creative and writing teams seem horrible.

I think the most interesting thing will be if aew or nxt signs some big up and coming names. Nxt is great, yet your reward is being handcuffed in the big leagues.

They have had two successful events with a couple of months to build each. Can they draw 10-15K for tv every week. Can they book a tv show for two hours with basically the same 6 guys being the stars as they try to build new ones?

I've got a bit of Jim Cornette in me with his take on the Bucks being high-spot-monkeys that is so unbelievable to watch. I've never really found Cody or Ambrose entertaining, but I'll give them a try on TNT simply out of curiosity.

Do they have to draw 10k a week? The wwe doesn't even do that, do they?

I think a lot of these guys can be stars because the writing and creativity and freedom will be the focus point. I never found Dean that entertaining, but that's probably due to him having to basically read a script.

I think a lot of these guys can be stars because the writing and creativity and freedom will be the focus point. I never found Dean that entertaining, but that's probably due to him having to basically read a script.

Moxly was more entertaining in the 30 or so seconds you get him at the end of this clip than he was the last 6 years in WWE...and has me anticipating his match with Joey Janella without saying a word...

I'd say most Raws and Smackdown average 10K, many are 15K when they are in bigger arenas...no AEW doesn't need to, but them drawing 10K at their two shows seem to be something offered up as to why they will be successful and challenge Vince...I'm just skeptical if they can do it week after week not in hand-picked cities.

WWE draws 10K in Des Moines for RAW, I don't see AEW doing this in the near future. Chicago, New York, Philly yes, but not 25 plus tv markets.

I'm excited to see what Mox can do without being scripted. TIJ was really eye opening in this regard. Darby Allin, Peter Avalon, Brandon Cutler, Luchasaurus, and Jungle Boy were all at Bar Wrestling last night and got AEW chants. I really think we're going to see Tyler Bateman and probably Ray Rosas in AEW.

Last edited:
I'd say most Raws and Smackdown average 10K, many are 15K when they are in bigger arenas...no AEW doesn't need to, but them drawing 10K at their two shows seem to be something offered up as to why they will be successful and challenge Vince...I'm just skeptical if they can do it week after week not in hand-picked cities.

WWE draws 10K in Des Moines for RAW, I don't see AEW doing this in the near future. Chicago, New York, Philly yes, but not 25 plus tv markets.
Lol those figures are mighty generous.

I know they inflate attendance but the Well holds 16K for hoops? Factor in staging and an 90% full arena, I'd say they are close to 9-10K, all paid...? no but they get them in the building.

Chicago, Boston, Cleveland, Philly, NY etc. they are getting 15K-15K plus for TV and PPV's, not sure what is exaggerated about that.

I know they inflate attendance but the Well holds 16K for hoops? Factor in staging and an 90% full arena, I'd say they are close to 9-10K, all paid...? no but they get them in the building.

Chicago, Boston, Cleveland, Philly, NY etc. they are getting 15K-15K plus for TV and PPV's, not sure what is exaggerated about that.
Have you actually been to a few shows?.....

Double or Nothing sold out in Vegas...nobody sells out 14K for wrestling in Vegas...they had enough people in the presale queue that they could have sold out a 45K stadium...

They could do TV in smaller venues at first...hell TBS built out WCW from a TV studio with 4 rows of fans...2300 Arena holds about 1200 fat Philadelphians...MLW shoots at a nightclub of 200, tops...

Given who they've brought in to help run things behind the scenes, I am pretty sure the plan is to run in cities and venues that will sell out and pop like their crowds have at the last two events...

Double or Nothing sold out in Vegas...nobody sells out 14K for wrestling in Vegas...they had enough people in the presale queue that they could have sold out a 45K stadium...

They could do TV in smaller venues at first...hell TBS built out WCW from a TV studio with 4 rows of fans...2300 Arena holds about 1200 fat Philadelphians...MLW shoots at a nightclub of 200, tops...

Given who they've brought in to help run things behind the scenes, I am pretty sure the plan is to run in cities and venues that will sell out and pop like their crowds have at the last two events...
I'm just skeptical, hope they succeed, and I think if you redefine success they will, they don't need to topple Vince to succeed.

I saw they had 98K digital/ppv buys for DON, successful but 1/20th of the network's subs.

WWE had about 5000 paid attendance at a PPV last night. This along with Smackdown almost disappearing in the ratings has to be a wake up call. Probably not but it should be.

WWE had about 5000 paid attendance at a PPV last night. This along with Smackdown almost disappearing in the ratings has to be a wake up call. Probably not but it should be.
With that said, apparently the small crowd was one of the best they've had all year.

It was also a clinic on how to kill your top two acts.

wait, I thought they did a great job of putting Shane over...oh, yeah...

Honestly- best match of the night was Ricochet-Joe and they teased something for tonight with AJ and The Club w/ Ricochet...not sure if it's going to be a match or a feud or AJ "restarting" a Bullet Club like stable in WWE of former IWGP wrestlers...

Y'all know this shit is fake, right?

I don't watch except if I'm passing by the channel and it's on anymore but my defense to that is so is every TV show that you watch. Probably including a lot of "reality" shows.

I don't think anyone believes it's real anymore like they did 30 years ago. I use to enjoy it during the Attitude Era but anytime I turn it on now there's just so much stupid shit on Monday Night Raw. The idea is to suspend disbelief not be insulted with the ignorance they put out.

I don't watch except if I'm passing by the channel and it's on anymore but my defense to that is so is every TV show that you watch. Probably including a lot of "reality" shows.

I don't think anyone believes it's real anymore like they did 30 years ago. I use to enjoy it during the Attitude Era but anytime I turn it on now there's just so much stupid shit on Monday Night Raw. The idea is to suspend disbelief not be insulted with the ignorance they put out.
Well part of the brief resurgence of the sport is because of what is going on in the smaller markets (Indies), including WWE's own Triple-A brand, NXT.

Indy wrestling over the last 10-15 years has featured some of the most athletically gifted wrestlers the industry has ever seen. Many have made their way into the WWE, be it in NXT or on the main roster, and others have made their way to other up and coming brands like New Japan Pro Wrestling or AEW.

Over the last 4 years or so, NJPW has had the best wrestling of any brand in the world. For obvious reasons, it just hasn't caught on worldwide as much as the WWE has.

But of the top 10 highest rated wrestling matches in the last decade, most would probably come from guys working with New Japan (or NXT).

It is really changing the way people view wrestling. What was once just something for "smart marks", is actually now received more favorably than the more entertainment-focused efforts by the WWE main rosters, although that is a separate issue revolving around their creative staff.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT