ADVERTISEMENT

WWE Raw

A7hCgVK.gif

It's to the point of not being interesting again...in fact, I would rank it as the least interesting wrestling show available these days:

A) "Being the Elite" youtube series
1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
B) "All In" youtube series
4) NXT
C) "Ten Pounds of Gold" youtube series
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW

It's to the point of not being interesting again...in fact, I would rank it as the least interesting wrestling show available these days:

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW

Yah it was horribly bad. They really downsized the entry to the ring as well, they must be struggling.

Yah it was horribly bad. They really downsized the entry to the ring as well, they must be struggling.

That's just it...WWE is swimming in cash, or will be soon...

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/wwe-smackdown-live-fox-2019-1202858691/

they just are not putting on a very good show right now...and fans have more options now than ever...NJPW/ROH just sold out MSG for their show in April, WWE hasn't sold out the Garden in years...Cody and the Young Bucks sold out 10K seats in 28 minutes for their show in Chicago in a couple weeks...

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW
It's nice to see someone else that follows pro wrestling on here, even if they are a Snark fan, but I'm gonna have to respectfully (just in this case :cool:) disagree that Lucha Underground is better than NJPW.

If you're talking about weekly shows or taped shows, yes, NJPW doesn't have the greatest production. Their value comes from their PPVs and monthly events, like the G1 Climax tournament, which by far and away has been the best event in pro wrestling this year.

NJPW, alongside ROH, thanks to their deal together, is basically turning into a second mainstream brand worldwide (a Japanese-based promotion has a United States title........and it's getting more buzz than the WWE's same title IN THE UNITED STATES).

Lucha Underground is still very much an indie promotion.

Reactions: iowanole1
How long before WWE fails all together? It seems like they were shoving the girl wrestlers down everyone’s throat.

Idk if I would be able to get behind Ronda rousey as the top billed wrestler of the business.

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW
It's nice to see someone else that follows pro wrestling on here, even if they are a Snark fan, but I'm gonna have to respectfully (just in this case :cool:) disagree that Lucha Underground is better than NJPW.

If you're talking about weekly shows or taped shows, yes, NJPW doesn't have the greatest production. Their value comes from their PPVs and monthly events, like the G1 Climax tournament, which by far and away has been the best event in pro wrestling this year.

NJPW, alongside ROH, thanks to their deal together, is basically turning into a second mainstream brand worldwide (a Japanese-based promotion has a United States title........and it's getting more buzz than the WWE's same title IN THE UNITED STATES).

Lucha Underground is still very much an indie promotion.

Not better, just more interesting week to week...the show in SF at the Cow Palace (1st home of the SHARKS) was the best PPV in the US this year...the way they built up to Cody vs Kenny was a perfect blend of old school and new school story telling...weaving it across 2 promotions and couple of web series...perfect.

LU is absurd. The production is off the charts, the crowd vibe is unmatched, and Matt Striker and Vampiro may be the best play by play duo in the biz right now.

Although Striker and Tony Schivonte doing the MLW show from NYC was a treat to listen to...

Mauro was much better for NJPW than JR...loves me some JR, but the matches move too fast for him at times...

Yes, I am a mark.

How long before WWE fails all together? It seems like they were shoving the girl wrestlers down everyone’s throat.

Idk if I would be able to get behind Ronda rousey as the top billed wrestler of the business.
For the women, maybe. There's clearly money there, and she has not disappointed in any of her actual matches, at least on her end.

But yes, they are forcing the women's initiative and trying to hype up Evolution (all-womens PPV), which on it's own is a fantastic idea and well-deserved/long overdue for women's wrestling, but of course WWE can't ever just let something breathe.

It also doesn't help that all they have the majority of the women doing is meaningless tag matches week after week.

Not better, just more interesting week to week...the show in SF at the Cow Palace (1st home of the SHARKS) was the best PPV in the US this year...the way they built up to Cody vs Kenny was a perfect blend of old school and new school story telling...weaving it across 2 promotions and couple of web series...perfect.

LU is absurd. The production is off the charts, the crowd vibe is unmatched, and Matt Striker and Vampiro may be the best play by play duo in the biz right now.

Although Striker and Tony Schivonte doing the MLW show from NYC was a treat to listen to...

Mauro was much better for NJPW than JR...loves me some JR, but the matches move too fast for him at times...

Yes, I am a mark.
I think Kevin Kelly and Don Callis are fitting in well on the English commentary for NJPW.

Also it looks like Callis' influence is starting to slowly help rebuild Impact. I didn't see the show, just some highlights, but I've also heard that Slammiversary was a better event than just about anything WWE main has put on this year (at least wrestling-wise).

If NXT wasn't doing as well as it is, WWE would be in deep sh** right now. (Not that they aren't going to be if they continue down their current path)

Reactions: CJBauer

Yes, I am a mark.

Were you in the Philly area in the late 90's/00's or was that before your time?

I hope ROH/NJPW can light a fire under Vince and Co. because they are at their best when they have competition...my concern is with the Fox deal, WWE is going to be swimming in cash and untouchable.

Hopefully Vince focuses on the XFL and HHH is allow to get control and book things more like NXT.

Yes, I am a mark.

Were you in the Philly area in the late 90's/00's or was that before your time?

We moved to Stamford CT in December of 1997 and my first trip to the 2300 Arena was in January 1998...

No, I never worked for Vince...yes, we drove past the building every day to and from work...had a few friends that did/do work there...

Reactions: golfinghawkeye

Yes, I am a mark.
I think Kevin Kelly and Don Callis are fitting in well on the English commentary for NJPW.

Also it looks like Callis' influence is starting to slowly help rebuild Impact. I didn't see the show, just some highlights, but I've also heard that Slammiversary was a better event than just about anything WWE main has put on this year (at least wrestling-wise).

If NXT wasn't doing as well as it is, WWE would be in deep sh** right now. (Not that they aren't going to be if they continue down their current path)

Callis running Impact shows why Chris Jericho is one of best minds in the business... EVAR...

Bringing in the AAA/Lucha Underground talent has helped as well...

And not being afraid to cross promote and share talent with other Indy promotions...hell, one weekend I saw the Impact Champion fighting on an ROH card being assisted by the NWA World Champion...

Guys like Pentagon and Sami Calihan are on three nights a week in 3 different promotions...

I hope ROH/NJPW can light a fire under Vince and Co. because they are at their best when they have competition...my concern is with the Fox deal, WWE is going to be swimming in cash and untouchable.

Hopefully Vince focuses on the XFL and HHH is allow to get control and book things more like NXT.

My worry is that with the Fox money, Vince will just buy everyone and then not know what to do with them...

He's really starting to look old and as you said, hopefully the XFL distracts him and Hunter gets to run things...

Reactions: golfinghawkeye

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW
Again? You're like 40 right?

I put a Lion Tamer on my brother in 6th grade and he cried and whined to my father. I was banned from watching WWF for the rest of Lent. Never went back for anything other than nostalgia. I rewatch a Mankind match here or a Stone Cold promo there. How does the new stuff keep you up if you're older?

It's for kids and they're making new ones every year.

Reactions: CJBauer

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW
Again? You're like 40 right?

46...so yeah, again (said in Jericho voice)

46...so yeah, again (said in Jericho voice)
Don't take my astonishment as judgment. I'm sure you have some conspiracy theory on why the NBA is rigged and I'm stupid for enjoying it at ~30. I run into adult pro wrestling fans. I knew it was fake when I liked it, but something about a commercial break interrupting a match ruined it for me at a certain point.

I put a Lion Tamer on my brother in 6th grade and he cried and whined to my father. I was banned from watching WWF for the rest of Lent. Never went back for anything other than nostalgia. I rewatch a Mankind match here or a Stone Cold promo there. How does the new stuff keep you up if you're older?

It helps if you have kids that were in to it as well. My son just graduated from high school and his group of buddies were fans up until the past year...something to do with getting their license and girls...

Todays WWE is a PG version of what it used to be...but it's like any long running soap opera...step out for a few years and come back, it only takes about 2 episodes and you've caught up...

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW

If you have a chance, check out European promotions Progress, Rev Pro and wXw. If you enjoy storylines, there probably hasn’t been a better one in the last 10+ years than Jimmy Havoc/Progress between chapters 10-20. Rev Pro has a lot of NJPW guys and wXw has a different feel to it. No guard rails, fans are right up to the ring apron.

It helps if you have kids that were in to it as well. My son just graduated from high school and his group of buddies were fans up until the past year...something to do with getting their license and girls...

Todays WWE is a PG version of what it used to be...but it's like any long running soap opera...step out for a few years and come back, it only takes about 2 episodes and you've caught up...

Hahaha. That makes a lot of sense. I had an uncle who was excited when me and my brother got into it. He bought issues of wrestling mags for both of our birthdays one year and cut out wrestler's faces and glued in cut out photos of our faces. I think we wore him out and he divorced our aunt and left the family. Well I think the actual marriage was the issue, but I like to place the blame where it doesn't belong.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5

1) Lucha Underground
2) NJPW
3) Ring of Honor
4) NXT
5) Smackdown
6) MLW
7) Impact
8) RAW

If you have a chance, check out European promotions Progress, Rev Pro and wXw. If you enjoy storylines, there probably hasn’t been a better one in the last 10+ years than Jimmy Havoc/Progress between chapters 10-20. Rev Pro has a lot of NJPW guys and wXw has a different feel to it. No guard rails, fans are right up to the ring apron.

That's why Al Gore invented the interwebz :)

Some of the UK guys are starting to pop up on US TV...Havoc on MLW and Joe Hendry on Impact...and of course Sabre Jr and Osprey in NJPW...

I wonder what the crossover is between wrasslin' fans and MMA fans. MMA became a thing in my lifetime and pro wrasslin (as serious TV biz) started a couple decades before.

We moved to Stamford CT in December of 1997 and my first trip to the 2300 Arena was in January 1998...

No, I never worked for Vince...yes, we drove past the building every day to and from work...had a few friends that did/do work there...

Did you ever work in the business? Your knowledge is impressive.

Edit to add I am watching One Night Stand 2005.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT