ADVERTISEMENT

WWE Raw

Last night's Edge is physically in much better shape than any Kurt Angle I've seen since his return...that is a lot of it, Angle got blown up pretty easily, and wasn't in his fighting shape, not sure I blame that on the injuries vs. not being 23 anymore
Angle's lack of conditioning is what hurt him.

Physically he was still solid, but he was definitely restricted because of his neck and he gassed way too easy for the work load they asked of him.

Going to AEW in Atlanta tomorrow with my boy. I guess it's been 25+ years since I've been to a wrestling show LOL. Hoping for an exciting event.

tenor.gif

LOL, you got my favorite wrestler. This guy's gimmick is hilarious. Maybe you either get it or you don't, but he kills me.

I didn't have any idea who he was when he showed up, other than the huge pop he got, but his act hits me right in the funny bone. Found out since he's one of the most popular guys on the indie circuit, so I guess I'm not alone.

The thumbs up is a little too demonstrative in that gif though.

How old is your son? You really have to try not to have fun at an AEW show to not have a good time...

He's 16 so he's right in the wheelhouse. I've got to imagine being their first appearance in Atlanta, and Atlanta being the wrestling town it is, that it's going to be intense. Hopefully they've got some good stuff cooked up.

I always remembered enjoying watching wrestling with my father when I was young. Younger than him probably, but it was more childish then too. We watched the first couple seasons of Lucha Underground and enjoyed it a lot, but that kind of petered out for us. WWE was just too big a commitment...too many hours of TV a week to keep up with, and I keep hearing completes about the product being uneven.

AEW starting was another chance to get in on the ground floor, so we've been in it since it started. Missed a few episodes recently but have been catching up leading up to the show. I think they stalled a bit storyline-wise for a few episodes after the last PPV and I kind of lost that "got to see what happens next" vibe, but picking up the last couple they seem to have good momentum.

Still a few guys they have to figure out what to do with. I told my son early on that Page needed a heel turn, and it looks like that's working. They got to get Pac some storyline juice because that guy is a great worker.

Reactions: CJBauer
LOL, you got my favorite wrestler. This guy's gimmick is hilarious. Maybe you either get it or you don't, but he kills me.

I didn't have any idea who he was when he showed up, other than the huge pop he got, but his act hits me right in the funny bone. Found out since he's one of the most popular guys on the indie circuit, so I guess I'm not alone.

The thumbs up is a little too demonstrative in that gif though.
Orange is fantastic. The genesis of his gimmick is what makes my moonsault any better than the 1000 other guys that can do it or have done it. How can I get myself over so the fans are engaged. Sure the character is limited but that is part of its charm. Think Creed from the Office or Toby before they used him too much.

Orange is fantastic. The genesis of his gimmick is what makes my moonsault any better than the 1000 other guys that can do it or have done it. How can I get myself over so the fans are engaged. Sure the character is limited but that is part of its charm. Think Creed from the Office or Toby before they used him too much.

Yeah, and the thing is, not just anyone could do it. It's a genius idea, but a thousand people could try to pull of that premise if it was described to them, but he'd be the one that could make it work. It's silly no doubt, but he's really dialed into it and sells it so perfectly.

Yeah, and the thing is, not just anyone could do it. It's a genius idea, but a thousand people could try to pull of that premise if it was described to them, but he'd be the one that could make it work. It's silly no doubt, but he's really dialed into it and sells it so perfectly.
Well it's kinda like a Jackson Pollak painting. Anybody could do that. Etc etc, but they didn't.

Well...AEW Dynamite was tremendous. They put on a really great show in Atlanta. It wasn't quite sold out, it looked about 70-80% full, depending on how many tickets they might have given away. But the atmosphere was great, and the matches really delivered.

They've got a good thing going. I'm not going to tell anyone they should like AEW more than WWE or vice versa, but AEW is really hitting on all cylinders for their audience. Cody and team really seem dialed in, and there's a lot of love both ways. He said they've been renewed for three more years on TNT.

Will be interesting to see if they can hold it together. People love to criticize the WWE, and you can point to the AEW product...but it's a LOT easier to run a tight ship and keep it on course when you're small and up and coming. We'll see what happens as the roster expands, they start doing more TV, individual wrestlers start to become bigger stars, etc. But at least right now, Cody and the creative team is really booking well.

The primary difference between AEW and the WWE is passion. That's goes for the audience to creative to the wrestlers. Lots of guys in WWE it's a pay check

I think Andy Kaufman ... :) And I loved Andy Kaufman

Andy you could build an angle around. Orange is a guy that comes in does his thing then exits the scene.

Agreed. Andy wrestled women and people thought it was weird. He was the inter-gender champ. And then ... Letterman. :)

Cassidy will get there. :)

73a56cdcb20bbb8092db616e35a10477.jpg

Agreed. Andy wrestled women and people thought it was weird. He was the inter-gender champ. And then ... Letterman. :)

Cassidy will get there. :)

73a56cdcb20bbb8092db616e35a10477.jpg
Doubt it Andy was the master at trolling audiences. People are in on the act now. Cant see anybody being able to break that fourth wall like that.

Well...AEW Dynamite was tremendous. They put on a really great show in Atlanta. It wasn't quite sold out, it looked about 70-80% full, depending on how many tickets they might have given away. But the atmosphere was great, and the matches really delivered.

They've got a good thing going. I'm not going to tell anyone they should like AEW more than WWE or vice versa, but AEW is really hitting on all cylinders for their audience. Cody and team really seem dialed in, and there's a lot of love both ways. He said they've been renewed for three more years on TNT.

Will be interesting to see if they can hold it together. People love to criticize the WWE, and you can point to the AEW product...but it's a LOT easier to run a tight ship and keep it on course when you're small and up and coming. We'll see what happens as the roster expands, they start doing more TV, individual wrestlers start to become bigger stars, etc. But at least right now, Cody and the creative team is really booking well.

Glad you had a good time. What did your son think? 16 is about the age where most start to bail out due to peer pressure and/or girls, but the ones that keep watching are lifers like us...

I blame my Dad...he took me to an AWA show when I was 6 or 7 years old...Andre, Heenan, Bockwinkle, Ventura, Mad Dog Vachon, Baron von Raske, Jerry "The Crusher" Blackwell, and the dude that scared the piss out of me Bruiser Brody...

Orange connects with the younger fans...my son (19) went from "Who's that?" to "I want an Orange Cassidy T-shirt"...which would be a total of 3 that he still wears (Wrestlemania XXIV that we went to in Orlando and CM Punk) ...

How long before WWE fails all together? It seems like they were shoving the girl wrestlers down everyone’s throat.

Idk if I would be able to get behind Ronda rousey as the top billed wrestler of the business.
They can still go with Midgits!

Glad you had a good time. What did your son think? 16 is about the age where most start to bail out due to peer pressure and/or girls, but the ones that keep watching are lifers like us...

I blame my Dad...he took me to an AWA show when I was 6 or 7 years old...Andre, Heenan, Bockwinkle, Ventura, Mad Dog Vachon, Baron von Raske, Jerry "The Crusher" Blackwell, and the dude that scared the piss out of me Bruiser Brody...

Orange connects with the younger fans...my son (19) went from "Who's that?" to "I want an Orange Cassidy T-shirt"...which would be a total of 3 that he still wears (Wrestlemania XXIV that we went to in Orlando and CM Punk) ...

Oh, he loved it. We were definitely all in. I allowed myself to get silly into it, chanting and everything, it was a good time.

Yeah, I don't know how long he'll be into it. Back when we were kids, we kind of aged out of the old WWF by about 13. It's a much different product though of course back then in the 1980s...I'm not sure how much we aged out of it vs once you went through 2-3 year cycles, you kind of "got it"...they just repeated the same set up/blow off program over and over. And the WWF, while wildly popular, didn't have particularly engaging in-ring workers among its stars in the 80s. Or even if they did, they weren't allow to actually, you know, wrestle.

I would certainly expect his interest to wane, and I'm not sure I would keep watching it or not, I might at least keep up with it. It's something we do together for now, not sure either of us would be as into it if it wasn't something we watch together.

He's also one of those kids that likes having different interests/knowledge bases than everyone else. I'm sure he knows who all the youtube stars are or whatever, but he likes having a deep knowledge of things nobody else does. He's not a hipster in style at all, but he has that thing that he doesn't mind being the only kid in his high school that has definitive opinions about the relative merits of each Talking Heads album and is a big fan of Buster Keaton. To him, I think wrestling is kind of part of that, walking around knowing who Angelico is or whatever. So I don't think peer pressure will be a factor, more just a factor of getting bored when/if it ceases to go in new directions.

If he ever prioritizes wrestling over girls, I'll ban wrestling int he house immediately.

The athleticism and skill level is remarkable enough now, and when the story telling is good, it's like any other drama on TV. So I've never been too dismissive of adults watching it or consigning it to "kids stuff" like when I was growing up. I love me some King Kong Bundy, but I can't imagine as an adult watching him squash jobbers for six months.

Reactions: CJBauer
The WWE has had to let a lot of talent go because of Cornavirus. But how the hell does Bobbie Lashley and Jindal Mahal still have jobs. Please Vince either die or sell already. The lack of production that the WWE could rely on has shown that AEW is putting out a better product.

The WWE has had to let a lot of talent go because of Cornavirus. But how the hell does Bobbie Lashley and Jindal Mahal still have jobs. Please Vince either die or sell already. The lack of production that the WWE could rely on has shown that AEW is putting out a better product.
Jinder is back? Vince must need to sign a tv deal in India...I have a Time-Warner/AOL/WCW vibe in the thought of Disney buying the WWE. Hopefully it's just a rumor based on the PPV broadcasts.

Vince likes the big muscle. I would rather watch the athletic guys that fly all over and out of the ring.

I think Drew does well for a big guy

Rusev was a mistake to let go

Wrestling is missing the personality it once had..very few have mic skills and the bookers are writing terrible story lines. Cut the monthly pay per views in half and let a story build. Miss the day when they had 4 a year...
Wrestlemania,Summer Slam, Royal Rumble and Survivor Series

Tumor- Do you believe the rumors that Vince has basically "checked out" and is in "f%ck it" mode with the collapse of the XFL/Corona virus, etc... stuff going on? Hard to believe with how involved he has been with everything for decades...just wondering about your opinion.

Wrestling is missing the personality it once had..very few have mic skills and the bookers are writing terrible story lines. Cut the monthly pay per views in half and let a story build. Miss the day when they had 4 a year...
Drew has talent was just a little unpolished and lacked direction as a character. Him and Rollins should put together a good storyline. They need to let wrestlers find their voice instead of just casting them in a role.

It is kinda hard to tell which one's might actually have true Mic skills...they are basically going off of a script that is force fed to them...I agree about wrestling losing it's personality...Pretty much everything the "superstars" in WWE do is micromanaged by other people in the company..It is watered down and dull.

Tumor- Do you believe the rumors that Vince has basically "checked out" and is in "f%ck it" mode with the collapse of the XFL/Corona virus, etc... stuff going on? Hard to believe with how involved he has been with everything for decades...just wondering about your opinion.
I think on some of the day to day stuff he has. Like overproducing the announcers. But some of the pushes either scream Vince or trying to please Vince. Lashley, Jindal, Jax, Street Profits, Viking Raiders
So I don't think he's completely checked out and I can't see him selling off. It's too much of an ego boost for people to kiss his ass.

Last edited:
If I'm New Japan or AEW I'm burning up his agents phone.

Rusev would kill it in New Japan...

AEW has to be careful about the number of former WWE wrestlers that they bring in...but on the flip side, there are other legit options now: NJPW, ROH, NWA, Impact, MLW...

ADVERTISEMENT