ADVERTISEMENT

WWII movie thread in honor of Memorial Day

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
As mentioned in another thread this is a good weekend for war movies.
I'm currently watching Mister Roberts. Not a gripping combat drama, but a fine war movie. Hopefully The Longest Day and Kelly's Heroes are on somewhere this weekend.

Regardless of what is shown I'll be sure to dip into my collection of favorites: Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, The Enemy Below, The Great Escape, etc.

Does The Sound of Music count?

TAKE+COVER+_77fdb2f93b37c8eba69d366698f82aaa.gif

Patton is one of the best films on WWII
George Scott made General George Patton come alive
on the big screen.

Kelly's Heroes
The Guns of Navarone
Never liked "Kelly's Heroes" much. Bunch of retread semi-successful actors the studio threw into the movie to satisfy their contract requirements. And Sutherland is horrible, playing a '60s hippie transported back 25 years in time.

Matter of personal preference, of course. Your mileage may vary.

I'm currently watching Mister Roberts. Not a gripping combat drama, but a fine war movie. Hopefully The Longest Day and Kelly's Heroes are on somewhere this weekend.
Here is a list of my favorite WW2 movies. Not in any particular order
Stalag 17
Bridge on the River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
Das Boot
The Caine Mutiny
Patton
The Enemy Below
From Here to Eternity
Stalingrad
Enemy at the Gates

Das Boot
Where Eagles Dare
Sahara
Conspiracy
Downfall
Patton

Best war mini-series of all-time: Band of Brothers

I found out a few weeks ago that the old lady has never seen The Longest Day. This weekend is a perfect excuse to make her watch it with me. Might have to throw in Patton as well for good measure, even though we have both seen that countless times.

And not a WWII movie, or even an American war movie, but I might have to watch Breaker Morant this weekend too, just because it's awesome.

The Best Years of Our Lives
Mr. Roberts
Operation Petticoat
Tora Tora Tora
A Bridge Too Far
Downfall
Father Goose

to name just a few

Want to recommend Friendly Persuasion which is not really a war film though you will see how it fits in. Gary Cooper is the patriarch of an Indiana Quaker family during the Civil War. It is one of our favorite films and another classic William Wyler (Ben Hur, The Best Years of Our Lives) film.

buggy-race.jpg

Saving Private Ryan...and quite frankly it ends there fellas. For a bleeding heart Tom Hanks loves this country...and appreciates the traditions of the military and the sacrifice of the average citizen in war...too bad that worthless excuse of a president doesn't see it the same way...

Reactions: UI2390
Saving Private Ryan...and quite frankly it ends there fellas. For a bleeding heart Tom Hanks loves this country...and appreciates the traditions of the military and the sacrifice of the average citizen in war...too bad that worthless excuse of a president doesn't see it the same way...

I believe every High School Senior should watch the opening assault on Omaha Beach.

But honestly the rest of the movie is pretty mediocre aside from the ending battle at the bridge. If I were a Briton or Canadian though would have problems because the elite SS Panzer Division they claimed to be fighting was deployed in and around Caen.

Longest Day remains THE movie about Normandy.

Reactions: TennesseeWaltz1
I believe every High School Senior should watch the opening assault on Omaha Beach.

But honestly the rest of the movie is pretty mediocre aside from the ending battle at the bridge. If I were a Briton or Canadian though would have problems because the elite SS Panzer Division they claimed to be fighting was deployed in and around Caen.

Schlock...I've talked to vets that were there...from their accounts Hanks nailed it...throwing up in the transports...defecating on themselves...bodies being blown to pieces on the beaches...yes we owe these brave people our lives and liberty...and they are owed an apology for the destruction of a land they fought to save.

Reactions: INXS83

Giving Hank the credit?

Schlock...I've talked to vets that were there...from their accounts Hanks nailed it...throwing up in the transports...defecating on themselves...bodies being blown to pieces on the beaches...yes we owe these brave people our lives and liberty...and they are owed an apology for the destruction of a land they fought to save.

Right. Saving Private Ryan is a very accurate depiction of generalized small unit fighting that took place. Longest Day is the much more accurate historical portrayal of the battle itself.

I am surprised no one mentioned the mini series "War and Remembrance"...I would rate it the clear cut #1 except for the romantic nonsense. It's portrayal of Auschwitz and the gassings were so real it made you feel a part of what was happening.

As far as mini series goes-"The Pacific" was pretty good, in my opinion..

Fan of quite a few other movies already mentioned..Would like to add "Midway" to the impressive lists.

The Pacific was decent. If I'd never seen Band of Brothers I'd probably say good. It's just that Band of Brothers was so good there was no way The Pacific could follow it up.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
As combat films go, Saving Private Ryan was probably the best ever made -veterans have said the only thing missing was the stench of death.
Two other very good combat films are Battleground and Pork Chop Hill.
I think Band of Brothers is a national treasure. I bet even the creators were surprised at how well it turned out.

Does The Sound of Music count?

TAKE+COVER+_77fdb2f93b37c8eba69d366698f82aaa.gif

I would say definitely yes! Incidentally, the stage musical version played in Austria finally and for the very first time last year. No one wanted to produce it there because they felt that it cast the Austrian population in a poor light ... for simply rolling over during the 1938 Anschluss.

Others:

"The Good German"

"Casablanca"

"Sink the Bismark"

"The Bridge Over the River Kwai"

"The Book Thief"

"Sophie Scholl"

"Railway Man"

"The Ninth Day"

"Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"

"Das Leben der Anderen"

"Salon Kitty"

"Das Boot"

"The Night Porter"

Last edited:
I watched "Patton" last night on Netflix what an awesome movie.

Never liked "Kelly's Heroes" much. Bunch of retread semi-successful actors the studio threw into the movie to satisfy their contract requirements. And Sutherland is horrible, playing a '60s hippie transported back 25 years in time.

Matter of personal preference, of course. Your mileage may vary.
I agree about a lot of what LC says about how this movie came to be, and the actors. But, it's an interesting morality play in my mind. To break orders, kill, steal... In a time of war. Plus I love the SS tank commander, and his decision to violate his own morals and orders.

I agree about a lot of what LC says about how this movie came to be, and the actors. But, it's an interesting morality play in my mind. To break orders, kill, steal... In a time of war. Plus I love the SS tank commander, and his decision to violate his own morals and orders.
I read somewhere that the cast for "The Great Escape" was assembled much the same way for the same reasons. They had contracts that required the studio to put them in X number of movies, something like that. The result in that case, of course, was one of the best war movies of all time.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
The Great Escape is fantastic. More trivia - the film had to show Americans being there to be marketable. In real life, they were moved to their own camp before the tunnels were completed. And legend has it that some actors were miffed at the way Steve McQueen would try to steal every scene he was in. The example I think of is where the officers are hinting they want McQueen to escape and gather info then allow himself to be recaptured. Next time you watch the move note how he is always fidgeting even during someone else's lines. McQueen also did many of his own motorcycle stunts.

The Great Escape is fantastic. More trivia - the film had to show Americans being there to be marketable. In real life, they were moved to their own camp before the tunnels were completed. And legend has it that some actors were miffed at the way Steve McQueen would try to steal every scene he was in. The example I think of is where the officers are hinting they want McQueen to escape and gather info then allow himself to be recaptured. Next time you watch the move note how he is always fidgeting even during someone else's lines. McQueen also did many of his own motorcycle stunts.
I may have to read the book again. Author is Paul Brickhill. It's been 40 years or so.Just checked. It's non-fiction, so a great deal of the stuff that made the movie entertaining isn't in the book (because it never happened). But IIRC there's far more detail about life in the camp and about the logistics of the escape, including drawings.

OK, I'm ordering it. Not available in Kindle. Will report in a few weeks when I've read it again.

Just got done watching Patton, now I can't decide what to watch next.

I should probably finish Band of Brothers. I've seen most of them, but I do think the whole thing. I've read the book a few times, just never watched the whole mini series.

I caught the last third of Midway today, speaking of star studded casts. As far as movies go that wasn't a bad representation of the battle.
I wish my dad had talked to me like Charlton Heston talked to his movie son.

Sgt York, From Here to Eternity. The Sands of Iwo Jima, Patton, The Battle Of The Bulge, The Pacific, Band of Brothers. From HBO, The Lost Battalion. There is a lot more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT