ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt Henson in the transfer portal

Bummer indeed. The silver lining is at least Woods gives us a 2 year cushion to re-assess the lightweight situation and go after another stud in 2024 or any transfer that comes up. Schriever looks to be the man at 133.

giphy.gif

Bummer indeed. The silver lining is at least Woods gives us a 2 year cushion to re-assess the lightweight situation and go after another stud in 2024 or any transfer that comes up. Schriever looks to be the man at 133.
Seems like one step forward and 1 step back. Glad we have Woods as he steps in and is an immediate finalist candidate. Was excited to see Henson at 33. If we say we need to compete with Penn State though, this is a move that has to be made. Take a top 3 guy vs a question mark.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the correct decision was taking the short-term proven winner, or sticking with the long term stud recruit. There will be a lot of eyes on how this situation pans out. I think it will influence a lot of coaches approaches in the future if it works or if it bombs.
Granted, I don’t really see a way it bombs, unless Woods somehow underachieves in Iowa and Henson becomes a title contender elsewhere. I don’t see Woods underachieving in Iowa, though.

He was one of the young guns I was looking forward to for many years. Like to know what came first knowing he wanted to transfer or getting Real. If he cud make 33 I think is better than Schreiver based on gas tank alone. I know it happens all over but looks bad when anyone transfers out if not buried on depth chart. But wish home the best but I think he would have been fan favorite.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Being in the transfer portal doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. It's basically a year to year contract now and you may say a renewable business decision.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I’ve been higher on Henson than Schriever, but what if this is because Schriever is beating him?
Before injuries Schriever was the bigger recruit so it’s certainly possible. I hope that’s the case anyway. Man. I really thought Henson was going to be special for the hawks though.

Reactions: Muscles1989
Before injuries Schriever was the bigger recruit so it’s certainly possible. I hope that’s the case anyway. Man. I really thought Henson was going to be special for the hawks though.
I don't know that Schriever would have been a top 20 recruit even if healthy. His national success was at the really light weights. He certainly wouldn't have been a 2 time PA champ like Henson.

QUOTE="js8793, post: 10022557, member: 96577"]
idk swiderski looks like the real deal coming in at 141. totally dismantled mendez. i think he could be a dark horse at 141 next year. i don't think the top 3 of matthews, willits, and woods is that strong.

Watch that jv coaching staff screw up the weight mgmt in the off season and have three guys at 141 and no one at 133/149.

Reactions: 07mantle
Henson has a win over Cannon who won without much trouble vs Schriever.
Which was a reason I was higher on Henson. But that was also a freestyle win. Schriever was tied 3-3 with Cannon in folkstyle and got ridden out for a period. Same could’ve happened to Henson

Reactions: Lambertt
I don't know that Schriever would have been a top 20 recruit even if healthy. His national success was at the really light weights. He certainly wouldn't have been a 2 time PA champ like Henson.
I don’t know if he would have been in the top 20 as a senior without injuries either. No one will ever know this. My memory isn’t the greatest but I thought he was in the top 20 for his class at one point before he got hurt. Now your last proclamation that he certainly wouldn’t have won two PA titles is a ludicrous assertion. He was/is extremely talented and to claim with certainty that he couldn’t have won a couple PA titles is selling a 2x Fargo champ and 1x super 32 champ very short.

Hate to see him leave. Hope he finds success where he goes as long as it isn't against the Hawks. Have to believe this was in the works before Woods came aboard and I'm assuming he can't make 133 any more. Would have liked to have kept him and Schriever and Woods and seen how it all shook out. I think this will be a short term gain for the Hawks and a long term loss, but only time will tell and T n T might have had their hand forced in this situation. Bummer either way.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
He was one of the young guns I was looking forward to for many years. Like to know what came first knowing he wanted to transfer or getting Real. If he cud make 33 I think is better than Schreiver based on gas tank alone. I know it happens all over but looks bad when anyone transfers out if not buried on depth chart. But wish home the best but I think he would have been fan favorite.
I would definitely lean towards he wasn't going anywhere until Woods came along.

Woods is from Illinois and has already graduated at Stanford apparently, so maybe he just wanted to get closer to Home?

Regardless, this is one of the consequences of the Transfer Portal. I hate to see Henson go as well.

I wasn’t as sold as some on here were. He was treated with kids gloves for most of the season until the Scuffle. He was wrestling in the freshmen/soph brackets and not the main ones and really hadn’t wrestled anyone of note.

Then, when he finally wrestled the Scuffle, he showed he was very ill prepared on the mat, when he finally wrestled two good wrestlers(both still didn’t AA) in Hart and Alirez.

It sucks to lose this kind of depth, but I am not sold he was the answer quite yet…

ADVERTISEMENT