ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Booker

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
Looking at the loaded MSU class for next year and none more impressive than Xavier Booker, rated #1 by some services.

But what caught my eye was that of all his long list of offers, Iowa was one of the few that got a visit.

I think this speaks to the respect Fran gets. He may not reel them in but they they seem to listen.

If you want to see another impressive big guy "from Indiana" (actually a student from the Congo that is attending the International School at Kokomo HS), check out Flory Bidunga. He is considered the big high school center in the country and has offers from IU, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Kansas, Kentucky, Auburn, Butler, and Cincinnati. He has double doubles in 24 of the last 27 games and just had a 14 point 17 rebound gane against the #2 4A team in Indiana

From a pretty good source that was a big thing in losing estella. Tenn able to offer way more than us. How they came in late to get him.
yes they had a NIL deal, but it is false that they came in late to get him. they offered before iowa did and had built a strong relationship. NIL just sealed the deal.

Reactions: iabcuda
There was an 8 game shootout in Broensburg, In., over the weekend. Booker was a virtual no show for his team with 5 points. Cathedral of Indianapolis did not need his help as Purdue football recruit Tibbs scored 33 points as they beat Centerville , Oh., by 20 plus. They were led by an
outstanding performance by Indiana PG recruit Cupps. Lots of talent there including Indiana standouts Haralson, Sisley, Colvin, Bodinga, Catchings and the aforementioned Booker.

• Wow
Reactions: Bishop1971
yes they had a NIL deal, but it is false that they came in late to get him. they offered before iowa did and had built a strong relationship. NIL just sealed the deal.
I meant not that they came in late recruiting but bigger offer down the stretch when Iowa staff prior were thinking they had a good shot and maybe the favorite at point. But yes that kind of sealed the deal.

When we are at the bottom of the big ten for nil dollars it could be a tipping point away from us. Maybe the Murray brothers will donate a million to our nil in the next couple years, we could use it.

Sometimes I miss Fran going bat shit ballistic. Who can forget those, his head seemingly ready to blow to kingdom come.

Maybe he's reluctant to go there with his kids suited up for him.

Sometimes I miss Fran going bat shit ballistic. Who can forget those, his head seemingly ready to blow to kingdom come.

Maybe he's reluctant to go there with his kids suited up for him.
I've been wondering the same thing. His face doesn't even get beet red anymore. Obviously he wants to win but haven't seen his temper on display this season at all.

There was an 8 game shootout in Broensburg, In., over the weekend. Booker was a virtual no show for his team with 5 points. Cathedral of Indianapolis did not need his help as Purdue football recruit Tibbs scored 33 points as they beat Centerville , Oh., by 20 plus. They were led by an
outstanding performance by Indiana PG recruit Cupps. Lots of talent there including Indiana standouts Haralson, Sisley, Colvin, Bodinga, Catchings and the aforementioned Booker.
Booker seems to have a "motor" problem. He has disappeared before. Izzo can have him, imo.

When we are at the bottom of the big ten for nil dollars it could be a tipping point away from us. Maybe the Murray brothers will donate a million to our nil in the next couple years, we could use it.
Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? Iowa also just landed a pretty good QB via the transfer portal in part due to NIL money (not to mention Dembele definitely got some sort of deal as well). That has sparked the collective to almost triple in members these past few days. To say that Iowa is in the bottom of the big ten for nil money would be categorically false going forward--probably not as good as Indiana's basketball or OSU's, but we're a player now.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? Iowa also just landed a pretty good QB via the transfer portal in part due to NIL money (not to mention Dembele definitely got some sort of deal as well). That has sparked the collective to almost triple in members these past few days. To say that Iowa is in the bottom of the big ten for nil money would be categorically false going forward--probably not as good as Indiana's basketball or OSU's, but we're a player now.
I'm talking basketball. Football has really turned it uo and just in time. They have a goal of 7 offense a 3 defense players. But this off season Iowa's basketball players were getting 10 grand a year. Way below big ten standards much less the blue bloods of the country

I'm talking basketball. Football has really turned it uo and just in time. They have a goal of 7 offense a 3 defense players. But this off season Iowa's basketball players were getting 10 grand a year. Way below big ten standards much less the blue bloods of the country
The collective that's tripled in size this week is for football, men's basketball and women's basketball--businesses can earmark money for a certain sport/individual, but the collective as a whole also funds the basketball NIL. So yes, this past off-season we were way behind, but we have caught up fast. I'd imagine that basketball will be able to be much more competitive in the portal this coming fall due to this war chest getting bigger. Like I said, Dembele definitely got a deal for him to come here--that shows to me we are in the game.

The collective that's tripled in size this week is for football, men's basketball and women's basketball--businesses can earmark money for a certain sport/individual, but the collective as a whole also funds the basketball NIL. So yes, this past off-season we were way behind, but we have caught up fast. I'd imagine that basketball will be able to be much more competitive in the portal this coming fall due to this war chest getting bigger. Like I said, Dembele definitely got a deal for him to come here--that shows to me we are in the game.
I'm really happy about it. I know i started donating so hopefully we can actually land some big guys so we aren't relying on freshman next year

With transfers being so easy these days, some of these relationships Coach McCaffery has built with recruits may just pay off a little later than originally planned.

Bakari is the only out of state kid that was recruited and ended up at Iowa. Uthoff was Cedar Rapids kid returning home at least as much as McCaffery.

Sure it can pay off, historically not much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT