ADVERTISEMENT

Xi warned Biden during summit that Beijing will reunify Taiwan with China

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
The Chinese leader's message in San Francisco got the attention of U.S. officials because it was delivered at a meeting that was intended to reduce tensions.

WASHINGTON — Chinese President Xi Jinping bluntly told President Joe Biden during their recent summit in San Francisco that Beijing will reunify Taiwan with mainland China but that the timing has not yet been decided, according to three current and former U.S. officials.

Xi told Biden in a group meeting attended by a dozen American and Chinese officials that China’s preference is to take Taiwan peacefully, not by force, the officials said.

The Chinese leader also referenced public predictions by U.S. military leaders who say that Xi plans to take Taiwan in 2025 or 2027, telling Biden that they were wrong because he has not set a time frame, according to the two current and one former official briefed on the meeting.

Chinese officials also asked in advance of the summit that Biden make a public statement after the meeting saying that the United States supports China’s goal of peaceful unification with Taiwan and does not support Taiwanese independence, they said. The White House rejected the Chinese request.

A spokesperson for the National Security Council declined to comment.

The revelations provide previously unreported details about a critical meeting between the two leaders that was intended to reduce tensions between their countries.

Xi’s private warning to Biden, while not markedly different from his past public comments on reunifying Taiwan, got the attention of U.S. officials because it was delivered at a time when China’s behavior toward Taiwan is seen as increasingly aggressive and ahead of a potentially pivotal presidential election in the self-governing democratic island next month.
Officials familiar with the conversation between Biden and Xi described the Chinese leader as blunt and candid, but not confrontational.

“His language was no different than what he has always said. He is always tough on Taiwan. He’s always had a tough line,” said a U.S. official with knowledge of the conversation.

Xi’s saber-rattling on Taiwan has been a top concern for Biden administration officials, who are aggressively trying to avoid a military conflict with China.

At last year’s Chinese Communist Party Congress, Xi stated publicly that China would attack Taiwan militarily if it declares independence with foreign support. The Chinese leader said the threat of force “is directed solely at interference by outside forces and the few separatists seeking" Taiwanese independence.

Xi, who has set a goal of doubling the size of the Chinese economy by 2035, also said that "we must continue to pursue economic development as our central task." Some experts believe it is doubtful that China would attack Taiwan if it does not declare independence because a military conflict would likely prevent Beijing from reaching its economic goals.

During the summit in San Francisco, Xi expressed concerns about the candidates running for president of Taiwan in next month’s election, according to U.S. officials. Xi also noted the influence that the U.S. has on Taiwan, they said.

When Biden asked that China respect Taiwan’s electoral process, Xi responded by saying that peace is “all well and good” but that China needs to eventually move toward a resolution, one U.S. official said.

Biden’s meeting with Xi, their first in a year, took American officials months to secure after relations between Washington and Beijing reached a low point in February after the U.S. shot down a Chinese spy balloon. The White House hoped the meeting would ease tensions, and afterward Biden stressed the need to avoid conflict.

“We’re in a competitive relationship, China and the United States, but my responsibility is to make this rational and manageable, so it doesn’t result in conflict,” Biden said. “That’s what I’m all about. That’s what this is about.”

CIA Director William Burns said earlier this year that U.S. intelligence shows that Xi has directed his military to be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. “Now, that does not mean that he’s decided to conduct an invasion in 2027, or any other year, but it’s a reminder of the seriousness of his focus and his ambition,” Burns said.

Biden has said in the past that the U.S. military would defend Taiwan if China invaded, but the White House has walked back his comments.

Under its longtime “One China” policy, the U.S. recognizes Beijing as China’s sole legal government but maintains unofficial relations with Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its territory. Most of the island’s 24 million people favor maintaining the status quo, neither unifying with China nor formally declaring independence.

After the summit, Biden reiterated long-standing U.S. policy. “We maintain an agreement that there is a 'One China' policy,” he said, adding, “I’m not going to change that. That’s not going to change.”

One Chinese official who attended the meeting, Hua Chunying, posted afterward on X that Xi had told Biden and other U.S. officials that the “Taiwan question remains the most important and most sensitive issue in China-U.S. relations.” Hua added that the U.S. should “support China’s peaceful reunification” and that “China will realize reunification, and this is unstoppable.”

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: h-hawk and Hawk_82
If Biden wins the election, it will probably be Harris having to deal with it.

I can't wait for someone to ask KJP or Kirby about this, and what the WH position is on this.

I think our "one china" policy is just unsustainable and doesn't really make much sense.

This obviously pre-dates Biden but the policy just makes our stance in regards to Taiwan somewhat incoherent and might be giving the wrong signal to china.

I think our "one china" policy is just unsustainable and doesn't really make much sense.

This obviously pre-dates Biden but the policy just makes our stance in regards to Taiwan somewhat incoherent and might be giving the wrong signal to china.
Agreed, especially when Biden keeps saying it, but is also ambiguous when referring to the mainland making threats.

"take peacefully".....interesting.

Seinfeld Soup GIF

Maybe Biden should have told him that Americans intend to land on the moon.

I’ll be shocked if China actually acts on this….however if they do….and WWIII is what they want, that is what they should get. The U.S. can’t allow Taiwan to fall.

I’ll be shocked if China actually acts on this….however if they do….and WWIII is what they want, that is what they should get. The U.S. can’t allow Taiwan to fall.

Lets say they got a blackened charred Taiwan. All their trade with the West; Done. All Foreign direct investment; gone.

Thats a good trade off?

Perhaps I should start another thread with a poll, but if China invaded Taiwan would you support the deployment of armed forces, including ground forces, to protect Taiwan? Thats liable to be a bloody war, and a war we could conceivably lose against a. Clear power. I would say yes.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
China has some looming issues with their younger population not unlike some challenges we have here, although we do not have 20% unemployment among 20 somethings like the CCP is dealing with.
Older affluent Chinese have also pulled back on spending and as the WSJ terms it “closed their pocketbooks”.
That can go a couple of ways for them. If it causes civil unrest then a distraction using Taiwan could become an excuse to start a reunification effort - a military operation.

Reactions: h-hawk
Perhaps I should start another thread with a poll, but if China invaded Taiwan would you support the deployment of armed forces, including ground forces, to protect Taiwan? Thats liable to be a bloody war, and a war we could conceivably lose against a. Clear power. I would say yes.

Likely wouldn't be a ground war for us, mostly air and naval.

Likely wouldn't be a ground war for us, mostly air and naval.
Denial is just skyrocketing in strength, and trying to contend with a Chinese blockade of Taiwan if they turned their manufacturing and shipbuilding toward unmanned vehicles to that end is hard to imagine.

It's such a different world that just 10 or 15 years ago with the stuff we're seeing in the Black Sea and Ukraine.

On the one hand, I think Taiwan has a lot of power to deny China access, but can the U.S. stop China from putting a bigger bubble around Taiwan for longer?

I hope we don't end up trying to find out.

Maybe. or totally crash your economy.

It would be an insane war for China to start. Economic suicide, but whatever....

Unfortunately, autocratic governments seem to be resilient during wars. Putin’s war may not be going as he planned, but the Russian economy is holding up due to a combination of state managed fossil fuel sales to non-Western countries and a military economy stimulating production. Being able to imprison his critics helps to keep the people from resisting.

Another reason to worry though the US is trying to build factories here.

Taiwan. The tiny East Asian country of Taiwan, whose diplomatic status is disputed by China, is the world's undisputed leader in terms of raw semiconductor manufacturing. This is largely due to the work of a single company, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.

Lets say they got a blackened charred Taiwan. All their trade with the West; Done. All Foreign direct investment; gone.

Thats a good trade off?
That’s why I don’t think they would do it….but if they’re willing to risk all that then I think they should be prepared for the consequences.

Militarily/strategically we need Taiwan and also economically for chips.

Absolutely. If Taiwan falls it could be just the start across the pacific.

They have one carrier. They dont have that sort of capability.

Our defense budget is like 10X theirs.

This hand wringing is silly.
The key for them would be to move quickly. If they can achieve surprise, and get troops over before we made a decision, they could do it. They don’t have a lot of carriers but they can put a lot of planes in the air.

If Biden wins the election, it will probably be Harris having to deal with it.

I can't wait for someone to ask KJP or Kirby about this, and what the WH position is on this.
KJP: "Yes, The Great Leap Forward was visionary. I would ask you, 'Why AREN'T you killing all of the sparrows?' Excuse me. Excuse me! If you aren't respectful of Mao I will end this press briefing right MAO!"

The Chinese leader's message in San Francisco got the attention of U.S. officials because it was delivered at a meeting that was intended to reduce tensions.

WASHINGTON — Chinese President Xi Jinping bluntly told President Joe Biden during their recent summit in San Francisco that Beijing will reunify Taiwan with mainland China but that the timing has not yet been decided, according to three current and former U.S. officials.

Xi told Biden in a group meeting attended by a dozen American and Chinese officials that China’s preference is to take Taiwan peacefully, not by force, the officials said.

The Chinese leader also referenced public predictions by U.S. military leaders who say that Xi plans to take Taiwan in 2025 or 2027, telling Biden that they were wrong because he has not set a time frame, according to the two current and one former official briefed on the meeting.

Chinese officials also asked in advance of the summit that Biden make a public statement after the meeting saying that the United States supports China’s goal of peaceful unification with Taiwan and does not support Taiwanese independence, they said. The White House rejected the Chinese request.

A spokesperson for the National Security Council declined to comment.

The revelations provide previously unreported details about a critical meeting between the two leaders that was intended to reduce tensions between their countries.

Xi’s private warning to Biden, while not markedly different from his past public comments on reunifying Taiwan, got the attention of U.S. officials because it was delivered at a time when China’s behavior toward Taiwan is seen as increasingly aggressive and ahead of a potentially pivotal presidential election in the self-governing democratic island next month.
Officials familiar with the conversation between Biden and Xi described the Chinese leader as blunt and candid, but not confrontational.

“His language was no different than what he has always said. He is always tough on Taiwan. He’s always had a tough line,” said a U.S. official with knowledge of the conversation.

Xi’s saber-rattling on Taiwan has been a top concern for Biden administration officials, who are aggressively trying to avoid a military conflict with China.

At last year’s Chinese Communist Party Congress, Xi stated publicly that China would attack Taiwan militarily if it declares independence with foreign support. The Chinese leader said the threat of force “is directed solely at interference by outside forces and the few separatists seeking" Taiwanese independence.

Xi, who has set a goal of doubling the size of the Chinese economy by 2035, also said that "we must continue to pursue economic development as our central task." Some experts believe it is doubtful that China would attack Taiwan if it does not declare independence because a military conflict would likely prevent Beijing from reaching its economic goals.

During the summit in San Francisco, Xi expressed concerns about the candidates running for president of Taiwan in next month’s election, according to U.S. officials. Xi also noted the influence that the U.S. has on Taiwan, they said.

When Biden asked that China respect Taiwan’s electoral process, Xi responded by saying that peace is “all well and good” but that China needs to eventually move toward a resolution, one U.S. official said.

Biden’s meeting with Xi, their first in a year, took American officials months to secure after relations between Washington and Beijing reached a low point in February after the U.S. shot down a Chinese spy balloon. The White House hoped the meeting would ease tensions, and afterward Biden stressed the need to avoid conflict.

“We’re in a competitive relationship, China and the United States, but my responsibility is to make this rational and manageable, so it doesn’t result in conflict,” Biden said. “That’s what I’m all about. That’s what this is about.”

CIA Director William Burns said earlier this year that U.S. intelligence shows that Xi has directed his military to be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. “Now, that does not mean that he’s decided to conduct an invasion in 2027, or any other year, but it’s a reminder of the seriousness of his focus and his ambition,” Burns said.

Biden has said in the past that the U.S. military would defend Taiwan if China invaded, but the White House has walked back his comments.

Under its longtime “One China” policy, the U.S. recognizes Beijing as China’s sole legal government but maintains unofficial relations with Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its territory. Most of the island’s 24 million people favor maintaining the status quo, neither unifying with China nor formally declaring independence.

After the summit, Biden reiterated long-standing U.S. policy. “We maintain an agreement that there is a 'One China' policy,” he said, adding, “I’m not going to change that. That’s not going to change.”

One Chinese official who attended the meeting, Hua Chunying, posted afterward on X that Xi had told Biden and other U.S. officials that the “Taiwan question remains the most important and most sensitive issue in China-U.S. relations.” Hua added that the U.S. should “support China’s peaceful reunification” and that “China will realize reunification, and this is unstoppable.”

Let's once again thank Coked-Up Trudeau for rolling out the RED carpet and briefly cleaning up the city by the bay (with more tonnage of shit in their public transit escalators than any other on earth) for the Chinese visit.

4k5md3.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT