ADVERTISEMENT

Y’all BBQ with mesquite?

Oak and pecan are plentiful around here. I can sometimes get some hickory but not often. I'm not buying wood in a bag.

A heavy dose of Pecan is great on dry beef, such as sausages and jerky. Don’t care for it on brisket or ribs.

Reactions: Nipigu
Nope, no mesquite except when I want something hot and quick. Otherwise it departs a bitter flavor, in my opinion.

cWOkC4n.jpg

I typically use apple for babybacks, but was zany and went with hickory today. That’s about the closest I come to mesquite for a long-ish cook...if one can call a six hour cook long.

Anyway, they’re a bit overdone but still an enjoyable afternoon.

Oak and pecan are plentiful around here. I can sometimes get some hickory but not often. I'm not buying wood in a bag.
Pecan and hickory are of the same genus, Carya. (That means they are cousins, and in this case, very close cousins.)
In our world, the difference is really in the “marketing” of the species.
When I was selling lumber, we always called it pecan, since the price per thousand board feet was higher. Today, hickory is kind of “in” for millwork and cabinetry, so we ride with it.
I bet the cook result is basically the same...

Reactions: Nipigu and DFSNOLE
Pecan and hickory are of the same genus, Carya. (That means they are cousins, and in this case, very close cousins.)
When I was selling lumber, we always called it pecan, since the price per thousand board feet was higher. Today, hickory is kind of “in” for millwork and cabinetry, so we ride with it.

Pecan is slightly milder than hickory IMHO.

Nope, no mesquite except when I want something hot and quick. Otherwise it departs a bitter flavor, in my opinion.

cWOkC4n.jpg

I typically use apple for babybacks, but was zany and went with hickory today. That’s about the closest I come to mesquite for a long-ish cook...if one can call a six hour cook long.

Anyway, they’re a bit overdone but still an enjoyable afternoon.
Apple is not available around here other than in bags. I got some from my Pittsburgh FIL but wasn't really impressed. The grain was so tight, it took forever to get lit and gave off little smoke. Like the mesquite, once lit it burned hot. Maple was the same way.

Reactions: Nipigu
Apple is not available around here other than in bags. I got some from my Pittsburgh FIL but wasn't really impressed. The grain was so tight, it took forever to get lit and gave off little smoke. Like the mesquite, once lit it burned hot. Maple was the same way.

Never tried maple. Would love to give it a shot.

I get a unique flavor out of a high dose of pecan that I can’t achieve with hickory. It’s a very forgiving smoke. If I put as much hickory smoke on my dried beef as I do with the pecan, I don’t think I’d be happy with the results.

I get a unique flavor out of a high dose of pecan that I can’t achieve with hickory. It’s a very forgiving smoke. If I put as much hickory smoke on my dried beef as I do with the pecan, I don’t think I’d be happy with the results.
As cousins and kinfolk go, redheads vs brunettes, site of growth, etc... will surely make a difference.

My neighbor brought down an apple tree and offered it. It’ll be ready in a few seasons. Almost all my cooks are with bagged wood. Except in rare occasions I don’t put the meat on during the dirty smoke...and wait until it’s almost an invisible blue.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My tastebuds got ripped off. You must all be super tasters ‘cause I can’t distinguish the type of wood that I smoke with.

You can really tell the difference with the artificial stuff in liquid smoke that I sometimes use to slow cook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT